Recent content by Vint_age

1. Vint_age

How do I smooth out an new oil finish

For the best finish using Watco; If you are not applying to new/raw wood, make sure previous finish is oil compatible. Do not apply over lacquer, varnish, poly or Howards. Wipe surface with Naptha and a 3M pad to remove any wax or oil build up. Sand surface by hand with 220 paper on a...
  2. Vint_age

tonearn DIN connector problem

Many of the older AT arms have the connector mounted further up inside the post. The cable mounted connector won't reach all the way in or the locating pin stops in the slot before the connector is all the way in. You may be able to trim away some of the plastic on the cable end using a sharp...
  3. Vint_age

Building a lathe so I can make wood horns

Plastic has other issues I would ditch the plastic piping and use metal. Explosion/fire is not usually a problem in a home shop. The biggest problem with plastic is the static shock you will get from it. The last thing you want while you are white knuckling a cut in the throat of a big ol horn...
  4. Vint_age

Luxman 121 w/SME 3009 and Dynavector Cartridge

That's no SME 3009 on there. I can't make out what it is though.
  5. Vint_age

My PL-41 Project

Spindle Farts It sounds like you may have some trapped air in the housing that is trying to escape. If your platter was too high after initial re-assembly, that is more than likely the cause. Let it sit or run it if you want, but depending on how close the bearing tolerance is and the weight of...
  6. Vint_age

ADS 910 xover questions and others

Before you start redesigning the crossovers, you might want to find an amplifier that is a better match for the 910's. Although the 910's can hide a lot of amplifier shortcomings, power is not one of them. The 910's need a solid amplifier of at least 50 watts with a high damping factor to even...
  7. Vint_age

Empire TT - What have I got myself into?

Gold leaf The electroplating will only work properly if you can get down to the base metal. Also, I believe there are several different materials used on the arm which may result in different results with the plating. You might want to take a look at gold leaf paint. It is similar to the...
  8. Vint_age

ADS L910's

Rubber Washers The rubber washers were a hard rubber, not foam. A foam washer would collapse if the knobs were tightened. The originals were about 1/4-3/8 inch thick. At one time I found some rubber "fender washers" at the hardware store in the specialty section (the rows of little drawers...
  9. Vint_age

ADS 1290 Series II

The sheen of the black finish is going to be difficult to match. If the nicks are small, fill with spackle and touch them up with a flat or maybe satin latex paint and an artists brush. I recommend latex, because it won't react with the present finish and is somewhat reversible with goof...
  10. Vint_age

I need to go strangle something...

I believe the story behind this is posted over on the Lansing Heritage site.
  11. Vint_age

Altec Model 15 Xover Scematic?

I'm not sure where I snagged this from, but it may be helpful to you.
  12. Vint_age

Veneer repair... how far can one go?

You have gotten a lot of good advice here. Unfortunately, it will take someone with a lot of experience to give professional results. Grain matching, stain/toner matching and top coat matching seldom happen on the first try. If you seek the help of a professional refinisher it will set you...
  13. Vint_age

Altec Valencia 416Z--need some help!

:scratch2::scratch2::scratch2: That does not make any sense. GPA manufactures new 416's as well as rebuilds vintage units. Me thinks maybe he prefers not to sell just the surrounds to just any kitchen table reconer (no offense to you or anyone else here intended). If they were mine, I would...
  14. Vint_age

Altec 600B speaker any good?

That is the voice coil dust cap. MI and some full range drivers used metal/aluminum dust caps to extend the high frequency response. Mine is a bit crinkled and some would argue that this condition would alter the frequency response. The upper frequency response of this driver is nothing special...
  15. Vint_age

Altec 600B speaker any good?

Here are some pics. I guess I thought it was in better condition than this.
Back
Top Bottom