Recent content by vinyl1

1. vinyl1

Heads-up sale thread - EstateSales and such

This may or may not be the case - there are some scam estate sale businesses that price the good stuff way too high, and then buy it for a rock-bottom price themselves when it doesn't sell. If you go to a sale where all the stuff that is too heavy to ship is reasonably priced, but smaller and...
  2. vinyl1

Here's an auction of audio equipment that might interest some of you: https://titletownauctions.hibid.com/catalog/522989/av-equipment-auction---receivers-stereos-speakers-and-more It's mostly lower-end stuff, but there might be something you like. They do ship the individual items, but...
  3. vinyl1

House full of records and equipment

If you watch the video carefully, you will see that the owner was basically one of us - he bought stuff at garage sales and sold online. Like many casual businesses, he bought more stuff than he had time to sell, and now his wife wants more room in the house. He won't get as much by...
  4. vinyl1

House full of records and equipment

Here is a YouTube video that might be of interest: There are three houses in the video, the one with the records and equipment starts at about 9:00 and runs through 24:35. The enterprising auctioneer does get the stuff, and is going to sell it.
  5. vinyl1

Spooked 'em?

That might well be - although there was not searchable text, some guys do look through through every item in an auction. Of course, the whole idea of these auctions is that you don't need to know anything, the buyers will recognize what it is an bid accordingly.
  6. vinyl1

Spooked 'em?

Auction was an estate - complete contents of a house, about 200 items.
  7. vinyl1

you are a dealer.....

How could they pay retail - that's what they have to charge their customers. If you think something might sell for $200, then you might be willing to offer $75 or so, because you're tying up your capital in something that might prove hard to unload, and you have to pay your overheads.
  8. vinyl1

Spooked 'em?

I saw some speakers in an online local auction, described as "Vintage speakers" with no further description, only one picture, the front. The badge was Klipsch, so I did a Google image search - Klipsch Heritage Forte IV came back! These are current speakers selling for $4995 new. I order...
  9. vinyl1

Happy Birthday vinyl1!

Hi, here I am. I have not logged in for nearly a month because of a real-life election campaign - don't ask! Yes, I have reached the magic age of 70.....
  10. vinyl1

They've got some audio equipment in a real auction - Marantz 10B tuner, Marantz 7 preamp, Klipschorns, Denon turntable, etc. I predict it's not going to go cheap, but you never know. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/279027_winter-design-sale/?page=9 Note 30% buyer premium!
  11. vinyl1

Need advice for eBay graphics card sale to buyer with zero feedback

When I sold on eBay, I used to check out the name and address. With Google, you can look at the guy's house online. If it's a town where everybody is rich, and he lives in a nice house, I would do the deal. He probably just signed up for eBay because he needed the graphics card and...
  12. vinyl1

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Design Acoustics was apparently a legit company, but I can't find anything about this model. Their other speakers don't go for much nowadays.
  13. vinyl1

The Ending of Thrift Stores As We Know Them?

With the demographic balance in the US, millions of old people with houses full of stuff are dying every year. There are plenty of used items for everyone - if you can't get them one place, they'll be there in another. Heirs are impatient, and want to sell the house, not spend their life as...
  14. vinyl1

You would have to look at each record and CD to be sure. It is not unknown to pull a big-money record or CD out of a box of junk. That's why dealers flip every record.
  15. vinyl1

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

The Hammered Dulcimer thing was the worst I have ever heard - if you wouldn't by a CD for a dollar, I suggest not buying it for a quarter either!
Back
Top Bottom