Recent content by VinylDATdown

1. VinylDATdown

Norway to switch off FM radio in 2017

It's a very big problem in the UK. Most of the muxes here are overcrowded and the sound quality is far worse. To make matters worse, there's hardly any effort to push the better DAB+ standard, and my mux doesn't even have anything on DAB+ yet (or at least from the last time I've checked). I'd...
  2. VinylDATdown

New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

4 used TDK MA90s. After failing to get a decent recording on the Maxell Metal-CD60 due to the rubbish quality, I've finally managed to get into the world of Type IVs
  3. VinylDATdown

Cassettes revisited and re-evaluated!

Definitely! He inspired me to change my tape deck to one with Dolby S NR. Still yet to get more Type IVs to unlock the full potential of Dolby S recording.
  4. VinylDATdown

RIP Leonard Cohen

We've lost so many greats this year, it's unbelievable. Leonard was one of a kind; a true philosopher. RIP
  5. VinylDATdown

What tape (any format) are you playing now?

Sting - Ten Summoners Tales (1993) on a Sony DTC-60 DAT, re-recorded on my now-repaired Sony DTC-77ES (hallelujah!) at 44.1kHz via Digital Coax In.
  6. VinylDATdown

Servicing a SONY DAT machine (Pictorial)

Yep, as it should
  7. VinylDATdown

Had another look inside, and with my more-competent dad, he's discovered corrosion on the drum, and ruled out bad RF caps and stuck mecha. It's part number Y68VO. If all else fails, I'll either have to get it sent off for repairs or cannibalise another DTC-77ES or PCM-2700. UPDATE: managed to...
  8. VinylDATdown

I've done another swab, and it's all but fixed the distortion and dropouts. It didn't eat the second test tape as it recorded alright, just that the playback still yields distortion and dropouts, so I've concluded that the caps need replacing on the RF headamp, unless there was something I've...
  9. VinylDATdown

Cheers. Let's hope my schoolboy French will still get the gist of the explanations! UPDATE: I think I have now found my culprit. The foam sponge has disintegrated onto the drum, and that's what I believe is causing the problem: Where do I source a replacement from, or would it work fine...
  10. VinylDATdown

Thought it might be. I'll start swabbing the transport, and if all else fails, I'll have to re-cap the RF caps.
  11. VinylDATdown

Got my DTC-77ES a few days ago, and when I tried a tape I've recorded with my Denon DTR-2000, it was playing back with a lot of distortion artifacts and some dropouts. After I've tried some cleaning tape (and re-recording the same content with the DTC-77ES), I'm still unable to fix the problem...
  12. VinylDATdown

Pics of your listening space

Received my new DAT recorder yesterday, and what a beast this is! Sony DTC-77ES
  13. VinylDATdown

What TT's do you folks have

Finally joined the SL-1200 club by replacing my HT-40S. Kept the AT95E cartridge and transplanted it to the Technics, though I had to replace the headshell after the left channel became faint, but lucky, I had my spare which I ordered with the cart when I first got the Hitachi, before I realised...
  14. VinylDATdown

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

Sony TC-K611S. Decided to replace the Denon to match all the other Sony components and also out of curiosity for the better Dolby S NR.
  15. VinylDATdown

Pics of your listening space

Not been active for a while, but I've done some major updates since: replaced the Denons with Sonys to match the MD and receiver (got a DTC-77ES on the way too) and also decided to replace the Hitachi TT with a DJ-loved Technics SL-1200MK2 - best decision ever! Also found some speaker stands in...
Back
Top Bottom