Recent content by vinyldavid

1. vinyldavid

The Progenitor of High Mass Belt Drives: A Components Corp. PBT Found

I’m keeping it as original as I can-I have good turntables that are well engineered and have superb tonearms on them already. This one is exclusively for period use. I may install a second arm if I really, really wind up liking it. The Pickering arm is fairly crude and not at all what you’d...
  2. vinyldavid

Andy, The Components Corp was 1953-1954 (though might be earlier). The Fairchild 411 was idler driven, and the 75x series were 1960s era. I almost had a 755. There were a select few belt driven record lathes, but they weren’t designed as HiFi turntables marketed to the discerning consumer...
  3. vinyldavid

Nope, not yet. Have been quite busy and don't have a proper restored mono system to play it through, at least not one which has enough open, flat space around it to support another TT!
  4. vinyldavid

Of course, there’s nothing that’s usually provable as “the first” of anything, but this is the earliest consumer belt drive turntable I’m aware of-and the earliest consumer-oriented turntable I’ve ever seen with a high mass belt driven platter like this. It was the only way to ensure high...
  5. vinyldavid

Howdy, All! After six months of deciding how to ship it, I finally received this Components Corproation PBT turntable with Pickering 190B tonearm. This is, as far as I’m aware, the first belt drive turntable of significant quality, and is the ancestor of the legendary Micro Seiki, VPI...
  6. vinyldavid

Happy Birthday vinyldavid!

Thank you, All!
  7. vinyldavid

Gates CB-77 Broadcast Turntable Restoration Completed!

My own update: I got a second, nicer CB-77 in a plinth, and gave the first to a friend. I then sold the second when I got a CB-500. The cycle of broadcast turntables just keeps spinning!
  8. vinyldavid

BuzzK is NOT a buzzkill!

I recently completed a transaction with @BuzzK, and the process was as smooth as glass. Excellent communication before and after the fact, and fair in all dealings. Thank you!
  9. vinyldavid

Selmerdave is great!

@Selmerdave is just great! Quick payment and clear and concise communication! Thank you!
  10. vinyldavid

New cart - Stanton 681EEE

I'm not enough of a microscope enthusiast to verify this, but whatever they did, the Stereohedron tips seem to drag an awful lot of music out of the groove. I think the MicroRidge is a bit harsh, at least in the Audio Technica implementation-the shibata tips from them sound better to my ears...
  11. vinyldavid

New cart - Stanton 681EEE

Howdy! The EEE-S was marked as such. You have a regular D6800EEE, and it's likely worth a retip, or at least sending to Joseph Long aka groovetickler for an inspection and evaluation. If you like the Stanton Sound, there's no replacing the original generator and suspension system. Fun...
  12. vinyldavid

Denon DL103M, the other fantastic 103

The American AM radio standard was the Stanton 500 with the D5107AL conical or nicer stations used the D50E or EE. Classical and Jazz often used the Stanton 680/681 family, typically the heavy elliptical (D6800EL) or light elliptical (D6800EEE). I own all the cartridges and styii I just...
  13. vinyldavid

Saint Peters, MO Rogers LS6a Lux AVA APT NAD Thorens Hafler Akitika Heath LPs tubes Paradigm Yamaha

For anyone curious, the Apt Holman preamp was nearly nonfunctional. I might wind up with it.
  14. vinyldavid

RIP David LaFlamme of It’s A Beautiful Day

Well, another great has left us. https://bestclassicbands.com/david-laflamme-obituary-8-8-23 David LaFlamme and company formed one of the most inventive and consistently fresh sounding groups to come out of San Francisco. Sounding unlike anything that came before or after, their debut album...
Back
Top Bottom