1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice
w1jim
Last Activity:
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:07 PM
Birthday:
Feb 21, 1955 (Age: 62)
Kinda' engineer, world traveller

Share This Page

w1jim

I can fix it but good..., Male, 62, from Boston western 'burbs

Subscriber
w1jim was last seen:
Viewing latest content, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:07 PM
    1. quadklipsh
      quadklipsh
      ..hi there.....
      I was reading your post of the nicest 9500 sansui you wanted to make. im interested to know whether. doubling those PS caps made a difference or not..
      I have a recapped 9500 with. all caps changed with one step up voltages and capacitance where possible. but used a nice beryl 4700 uF caps in the PS .
      please let me know what change in sound you found with various mods .
      1. w1jim
        w1jim
        It would be impossible for me to say with conviction that increasing the PA capacitors made a noticeable improvement though in theory it could.
        Though I loved the look of the AU-9500 I found that I much preferred my modded AU-999, even stock I thought it superior to the 9500.
        Jan 26, 2017
      2. quadklipsh
        quadklipsh
        Or right. I won't do that capacitor thingy. And since 999 is even rarer to find ill keep the 9500 and continue to love it
        Feb 6, 2017
    2. w1jim
      w1jim
      I don't recall specifically and I sold it once I got my G-22000. But if there was any hiss I'm sure it wasn't objectionable - as in way below the music.
    3. caesar56
      caesar56
    4. cavu
      cavu
      Did you ever get your ARC D-350 working?

If not, are you interested in selling it for parts?
    5. w1jim
      w1jim
      Hard to say, I never listened to them critically though they made them more stable on carpeting.
      I made my own with some inexpensive hanger bolts and a bit of grinding.
    6. hi*ball
      hi*ball
      Thanks Jim.

Did using the spikes make much difference in the sound?

These have been refoamed recently as well.
    7. hi*ball
      hi*ball
      Hello Jim,

I had a question about a pair of Boston Acoustic T-830's and was told that you were the go to guy for these.

I was told that you raised and slightly tilted yours. Just wondering what you did exactly and how it turned out?

I'm running mine with a Sansui AU-517 amp.

Thanks!

Jason
    8. fcarpcarp
      fcarpcarp
      Jim,

Email is fcarpcarp@comcast.net

As always, thank you so much for your help with this, you make everything much easier. Speaking strictly for myself, I'm a person who operates best in "path of least effort" mode.

Do you have any idea who the old Altec guy (Bill I think) and his sons names are and what their board names are? Like I ain't old....

Frank
    9. A27
      A27
      Hello, I saw your systems. I have two "stereo shop" switchers by audio authority. I have had them for awhile now. Pm me if you want more info. Something like 16 pairs of speaker switching CD, tape, amplifier.
    10. jimbo2k
    11. Karma16
    12. Karma16
      Karma16
      HI,
      Have you checked out this on ebay?

Sparky
    13. pfcs49
      pfcs49
      PM'd about arm-tube, then checked your profile. Standup? Auto racing? I think we've communicated somewhere (else?). Are you a carting guy? I did a lot of SCCA ITB racing in Volvo (able) and VW GTI w/hand controls (disabled) all over, but mainly NE. And my wife does standup. If so, small world. Phil www.philscars.com
    14. ke4mcl
    15. qboneus
      qboneus
      Thanks for the help with the Paul to Paul relay this weekend..
      tal
    16. wbain
      wbain
      73 from warren, ag4eq
  • About

Birthday:
    Feb 21, 1955 (Age: 62)
    Kinda' engineer, world traveller
    Electronics, Audio, Ham radio, auto rally & racing, stand-up comic, daily flosser.

Interact

Content:

Signature

An embarrassment of riches that I never could have swung in the day.

_________________ [​IMG]