Recent content by westend

1. westend

Minnesota

Reping Shorewood, mn. As others have said, Aaron and Ron carried the weight on TC get-togethers for years. Good times, I still have the T-shirts. I've been awy from building, collecting, posting on AK, etc. I can blame some of that on health issues. Still blasting music but a minor stroke...
  2. westend

Kenwood KA-5500 Re-cap, now meters not working properly

Since meters are using very low current and all are not perfectly aligned with each other, minute input changes will nearly always cause indicator misalignment with verified amp output. If it was me, I'd lower the brim on my "paint-by-numbers cap" and enjoy the music. If it bothers you to...
  3. westend

KA-5500 Crackling when adjusting volume

Crackling, interuptions, no volume are known problems with Kenwood pieces from that era. The issue usually lies in the volume pot. Search and read about the use of Caig De-Oxit on this forum. Faderlube is good stuff, too, but Deoxit will probably clean up more oxidation. I have a Kenwood...
  4. westend

JBL L65 Jubal: New life or put to rest?

Restore them. They are well regarded.
  5. westend

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

I bet they sound great. How do you have them stuffed? I need to get back into my MLTL's and remove some fiberglass to let the woofer sound a bit better (15" Altec). I have some Fostex single drivers in complex horns that really become transmission lines when in use. No stuffing used except for...
  6. westend

Anyone built or heard Troels Gravesen speakers?

That's just me, a funny, itch-scratching guy all the way! :bigok: The Coral is a good choice.I had/have a pair around here at one point. I need to clean shelves and see what I actually have, ahhhh. :dunno:
  7. westend

Mid century modern mini speakers?

I'd suggest looking for a pair of vintage JBL Studio Monitors/Studio Control Monitors. They will project a clean sound in that space, have enough bass for most folks (add subwoofers for chest pumping since giving up the CV's will be a chore). Really nice work. Hope you follow up with a...
  8. westend

Anyone built or heard Troels Gravesen speakers?

Right now, I'm listening to Royksopp, "Running to the Sea" in my garage/shop using single Fostex Sigma 108's in a simple reflex box. IIRC, the boxes were done in an afternoon. Box is BB plywood, holes cut on the drill press using hole saws. Started using these again and the sound is immersive...
  9. westend

I Messed Up and Ruined Everything (!Wall of Text!)

I ran into a guy that had a different MO on hoarding. I sold him an older Sansui tuner/amp and he told me where it was destined, to a friend that could use it. He had done this many times with some decent vintage gear. The recipient was pledged not to sell and he was able to enjoy his hoard as...
  10. westend

New to Me ESS amt-1 Towers. Need Advice!

Wire removal is as stated or a cut and resolder works, too. I'd suggest to do some research and see if you really need the contact plate and selector to route power through the various resistors. Once voiced correctly for your room, it typically can be bypassed through one value of resistor.
  11. westend

Can anyone I.D. these speakers?

DTR research, Denver Colorado trademark first used in commerce 1974...
  12. westend

Moving My Rek-O-Kut B12 Across the USA?

The bearing in the B12 is a shaft with a single ball atop it. I would remove the platter. make sure the ball is secured so it won't go missing (tape the platter tube),and wrap the platter separate from the deck. That way, if the table is impacted or spends time on an angle, the platter shaft...
  13. westend

How much protection is enough in a solid state amplifier?

Lol, the most applicable statement so far! The values stated for the fuses are in the realm of most solid state amplifiers. They should do an adequate job to protect the equipment and the user's environment. It is about how to protect the path of power in the amplifier.
  14. westend

Sansui QRX-5500 Lighting Question

It's probable that the function switch is not the actual path of power to the tuner lamps. The power is probable to come from the circuit board. I say probable because I don't have the QRX-5500 service manual or schematics in hand. You can visit Hifi Engine and see if a free download is...
  15. westend

Speaker ID help please!

Possibly an old kit speaker. The woofer may be a coaxial/triaxial. There are an extra set of wires from the crossover box and that was probably for adding a horn (based on the square baffle cutouts). Best ID involves numbers off the woofer (EIA xxx-xxx) or inspection for a mfg's number. The...
Back
Top Bottom