Wharfcreek

AK Subscriber, Male, 65, from Baltimore, MD

Subscriber
Wharfcreek was last seen:
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    1. Sumner2020
      Sumner2020
      Tom,
      I was curious what resistors you use on the Mag 196 SE amps after bypassing the balance pot using the original 4 ohm trannies. These would be resistors R3 R4 R10 and R11 on the schematic. What is your cap preference for the original C2 & C4 .01 caps? Any other resistor/cap replacement value changes you've made in this circuit is very much appreciated!
      Thank You
      Darin
    2. Tim 700
      Tim 700
      Hi Wharfcreek, I've recently obtained a Mag 8601-20 and was wondering if you were in the business of modifying these units? I was hoping to get the unit checked out, new caps etc. along with speaker posts, new RCA inputs, power switch with lamp and any mod's you have had success with. Thanks, Tim
    3. Son-of-Vere
      Son-of-Vere
      Hey Tom, thanks for clearing some things up. I shoulda' known to check voltages at the tube. But it was getting late, and I was spent at that point. Please check in on my build thread for any other help you can give. I don't want to clog up DC's thread. The amp will be put in a plinth much like a TT, is there any problem with hanging that choke down like that? It's securely mounted.
    4. Amped4Fun
      Amped4Fun
      I noticed that you said you cut out/removed some of the bits from your 175- is there any chance that they are things that would be worth someone like me getting ahold of? If so, I could look at purchasing from you. I'm VERY new to the vintage electronics scene. I don't know much, but I want to learn hands on. Anyway, thanks. Take care.
    5. Amped4Fun
      Amped4Fun
      Hello! I just found your thread about your Maggie 175. I have been lurking here for a long time, and posting occasionally for a year or two. I just recently picked up (what I think is) a 175 as well. I'm planning on cleaning it up and trying to keep it mostly stock (just getting critical components replaced) and trying to keep it cheap.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jan 22, 1952 (Age: 65)
    Recently 'Un-employed'...
    Lovin' life......

Motorcycles, Fishing, Boating, Tube Amps, and Family!!

Signature

Pre: Mac C20, Scott, Xiang Sheng 728, Eico, Dynaco, Hafler. Pwr: HK CV, ST35, 70, Mk 2, 3, 4, ASL, Heath, Eico, Mag, Pilot, Scott, Fisher, Home Made. TTs: Rega, Thorens, Ariston. Spkr: Klipsch KG4, Forte, Heresy, Cornwall, Vandersteen, Wharfdale, JBL, EV, Sansui.