Recent content by yjwu

1. Y

ReVox B780 tuning instability: gradually unable to tune in station; from 108MHz and downward

When B780 was unable to tune in 107.7MHz (104.9MHz was fine) pin6 of IC4 measured 25.35V; beyond the specified 24+-0.2V range. No wonder tuning failed. When I removed the screen cover of synthesizer+meter & deemphesis board to access the test point the measured voltage start falling. A few...
  2. Y

ReVox B780 tuning instability: gradually unable to tune in station; from 108MHz and downward

Thank you for your help. I placed a cold pack on top of the Faraday cage of the synthesizer section and it indeed restore the tuning. I found that SAA 1058 was hot while SAA 1056 was normal. It is hot and humid in Taipei, Taiwan now. Without air conditioning the room temperature was 28 degree...
  3. Y

Hello: Recently my ReVox B780 developed tuning problems: it can receive all stations from 88MHz to 108MHz at power on. After about 20 minutes stations at high frequency end became noisy: the signal strength meter's needle oscilated violently. Gradually this symptom migrated toward lower carrier...
  4. Y

STUDER A820 1/4" morphed into 1/2"

I just added 1/2" tape playing (recording will be waited until calibration is done) capability to my STUDER A820, which was resurrected on June 16, 2014, after 16 days working in dark. Magnetic head assembly was pieced together from: 1) A STUDER time code demo assembly; maybe a historical...
  5. Y

Studer A810 Take up Brake Won't Hold

Mostly the cause was leaking of Ni-Cd battery and the erosion on MPU board. Throughouly clean the board, replacing bad IC sockets, using lithium battery, etc. can cure this problem. It was a long way to go. Try to borrow a good working MPU to ensure that the problem was not elsewhere...
  6. Y

Partially restored Tandberg 10XD: beautiful sound!

Thank you for your comment. I alywas wondered how joyful the original owner of this deck had enjoyed this beautiful sound 40 years ago! A sticker which read as Resistance Repair 807 Allston Way Berkeley, CA 94710 841-1459 D.O.R. 4/18/95? was near the remote control socket. This machine...
  7. Y

What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

La Boheme; Tebaldi, Bergonzi et. al. Serafin; first 16 minutes. La Boheme; Tebaldi, Bergonzi et. al. Serafin; first 16 minutes. Side 1: time 36:00 Side 2: time 19:50 The first 16 minutes of Act 1 could be played on a STUDER A820. It also played beautifully on a Tandberg 10XD!!
  8. Y

Partially restored Tandberg 10XD: beautiful sound!

I bought a Tandberg 10XD part machine in Aug. 2013 from eBay for US$40+20 shipping cost. It came with a pair of TEAC TZ-612 NAB adaptors. Missing parts: power transformer, one knob. Originally I intended to transplant its supply and take-up reel tables to my newly acquired TD-20A SE. Before the...
  9. Y

Great Video for First Time R2R

I think it is great too!
  10. Y

Scanned and retouched tiff image of 1.820.500-38 for STUDER A820

Here is a scanned and retouched image of a long paper sheet: 1.820.500-38 for STUDER A820. It can be printed on two pieces of A4 paper with 32% reduction using Microsoft's built-in utility program "paint" . Cut and paste is need to joint them together. :music:
  11. Y

A 1/4 track Studer A810!

I am working on a project of 1/4 track A820. The base plate of this A820 magnetic headblock was from a STUDER's time code demo piece. I also keep all the original parts together so that it could be returned to its original state if needed. The preamplifier had been modified. I will trace and...
  12. Y

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

I would love to get a complete set of 1/2" head-block and sets of rollers, but they were rare and expensive. This STUDER is a 2 track machine.
  13. Y

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

This is my new recruitment: a 1/4" STUDER A820!:banana: I got this STUDER also in non-functional state: none of the green LED's were lit as I got it on May 31, 2014; only a pulsing rotation of the take-up reel table at power on. After half month's struggle I located a fault of two gold...
  14. Y

My first reel to reel was........

My first R2R was a ReVox B77 Mk-II, bought 2nd handed from internet in 1990. I also ordered new take up reel, NAB hub adapters, service manual, calibration tape, all from ReVox in Nashville TN. At that time I was the only one got into this hobby. My second R2R was a high speed ReVox A77 with...
  15. Y

Restoration of a Tandberg TD-20A SE

I don't remember; probably from a thrown away HP laserjet? Actually they are not so hard to find. Similar "thing" works as well. This material is pretty strong. It won't break; can only be crushed to pieces under strong impact. At first I bought a part machine Tandberg 10XD, as their reel...
Back
Top Bottom