Recent content by zackthedog

1. zackthedog

New to me Blair Lamphear tube amp

As we know, that's never stopped some of these "boutique designers." ;-) Let's hope this is more competently built.
  2. zackthedog

Ah, that would be it.
  3. zackthedog

Williamson tube amp. Noise at turn off.

Oh hell, that's not right. I'm so sorry. But it CAN be corrected. This is not a terribly complicated amp, it's a Williamson with tone controls added. I wish I were closer, I might be able to help, but it's a long drive from Southern Oregon. ;-( I would echo Selmerdave's comment. Perhaps...
  4. zackthedog

It was "Niteshade" and it looks like he passed away in 2015. Nice looking little amp. My guess would be push-pull, with a simple 6SL7 voltage amp and phase-splitter. Likely no feedback but it's possible. 807s make a very pretty-sounding amp. Unless someone is familiar with it and chimes in...
  5. zackthedog

Williamson tube amp. Noise at turn off.

Sounds reasonable. My only suggestion is that he bypass or remove the weak cap entirely and substitute something suitable in its place. Might be better for the long-term health of the amp. While he's at it he might also make sure those adjustable capacitors are set properly. His scope should...
  6. zackthedog

Gillespie triode Williamson build

That's a nice idea!
  7. zackthedog

My first integrated tube amp suggestions

I happily defer to your experience on that account, it's very encouraging. I hope it goes without saying that I have alwys enjoyed your contributions to AK and learned a lot from them.
  8. zackthedog

Setting aside the idea that there are *any* vintage amplifiers that approach even a fraction of 225wpc (unless you consider ARCs to be "vintage" amplifiers), I'm perfectly willing to grant you that the VACs sound good. At $75,000 I should hope they would. I'm also willing to take your word...
  9. zackthedog

Some people feel that once you pass a certain power threshold with tubes, you start to encounter some sonic trade-offs. I've never heard the Cronus so I can't comment there. I know that I've built 20wpc Williamsons and 50wpc Williamsons, and I prefer the lower-powered version as being sweeter...
  10. zackthedog

Schiit Freya + vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

What a lovely preamp. I have fond memories of mine. Yet another piece of gear I wish I'd never sold or traded away... ;-)
  11. zackthedog

Simple, high quality tube amp designs for the modern era?

Indeed, I forgot about them. Very good kits, IMO.
  12. zackthedog

Simple, high quality tube amp designs for the modern era?

The Dynaco clones, Tubelab's circuit boards, Elekit's single-ended amplifiers. Those three cover a lot of ground, and maybe as much as the kit market can bear. Assembling kits is an enormous enterpise, to be honest. Prefabbed chassis, transformers, PCBs, manuals, tubes--the upfront costs...
  13. zackthedog

Filthy Scott console, newbie questions

That's actually in very good condition, aside from the dust. I'd just use a cloth to wipe everything off, maybe a dab of water or glass cleaner, and then see what it looks like.
  14. zackthedog

Griffin o Pioneer

I can't help with your research, but that's an amazing setup. The head amp for the reel-to-reel deck would be very desirable for tape enthusiasts these days! Good luck!
  15. zackthedog

Schiit Freya + vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

The OP asked if he should buy a Schiit Freya+ and I just relayed the frustrating experience of someone in another thread. I personally don't understand what purpose the design serves. I know +6dB gain would not be enough for my Williamson amplifiers. The Sonic Frontiers boasts a more typical...
Back
Top Bottom