Share This Page

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome, Male, from Central CA

Subscriber
Zonker92 was last seen:
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    1. Lux Man
      Lux Man
      I am looking forward to your comparison of the L300's to your 4435's and the 4430's.
      1. Zonker92
        Zonker92
        At this point I'm only borrowing empty cabinets for measurements, but I have a feeling there may be some mission creep. <gulp>
        Dec 15, 2016
    2. kyonthinh
      kyonthinh
      Hi Zonk, I have a pair of S75 and want to redo the crossover to avoid fire. I want to ask what kind of resistor should I be aware of?
      1. Zonker92
        Zonker92
        Sorry I missed this question before. I think any modern resistors rated 10 watts or better would be fine. Daytons, Mills, etc. I suspect the original resistors were rated too low; maybe 5 watts or less. Not sure though.
        Nov 1, 2016
    3. mchriste
      mchriste
      Zoned, glad to hear you like the s6's... Are they similar to the s10's I pictured in the thread. Some dude has them listed near me for $200.00 says they have some minor scratches but are in good shape. What do you think of that price?
      1. Zonker92 likes this.
      2. Zonker92
        Zonker92
        They look pretty similar to me. I think $200 is a great price.
        Jul 11, 2016
      3. mchriste
        mchriste
        Cool... I may try to talk my wife into it. Thanks.
        Jul 11, 2016
    4. asilker
      asilker
      Hey Zonk, I've seen you around for a long time. Now that I have some JBL's we've been commenting on a few similar threads. Just wanted to say WHATS GOOD and let you know I've always thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Bubbles avatar
      1. Zonker92 likes this.
    5. Valveglow
      Valveglow
      Hi Zonk. If you recall, a while back we discussed making grilles for the JBL 30s. You had sent your grilles to someone and he fabricated a replica. A friend recently purchased a set of 4430s: no grilles, no cloth. What should we do?
      I told him about your furniture, plinths, speaker stands, etc. Could you please send a link to your stuff? Thanks.
    6. quadklipsh
      quadklipsh
      hi zonker . i read a post of yours about someone saying some bass issues on a jbl L80 . I HAVE THESE 4410As and was playing and comparing with some smaller tannoy mercury2s.
      the bass of the tannoy albeit the smaller driver was more preferred by three of us and it kept us playing that speaker with my rega mira for a few hours.
      now the top end of the jbls is also bigger and wider but the bass is like SCATTERED EVERYWHERE .
      i was wondering if its a capacitor ageing .
      or what are your opinions ...... any ideas on how to beat the tanns..
    7. Richiecee
      Richiecee
      Zonker,
      One question on my 4343's has not been answered as I reviewed all the threads. Does it pay form a vintage market value standpoint to just bypass the L Pads or replace as you say? Will it mean much if I went to sell them?
    8. Bratwurst7s
      Bratwurst7s
    9. jblnpioneer
      jblnpioneer
      What is the best replacement for a blown JBL 4430 diaphragm?
      I have found some on ebay where the seller claim's one size fits all (about 20 different speaker's 8 Ohms and 16 Ohms).
      Another site says they sell genuine JBL replacement parts (made in Mexico).
      What would you use and where would you get it?
      Please Help me I consider you the expert on 4430's.
      Should I replace both so they sound the same?
      Does it depend on the driver I have in the but cheeks?
      (luxman C-120A pre amp, Pioneer: M-25, TX-9500, PL-570) JBL: Brazili cabs, (LE 15A ,LE 85 Potato Mashers, 075 bullet tweeters, N700, LX5) Records sound fantastic I whish I had blue velvet to play. I liked your old avatar.
      Please and thanks.
    10. SoundOfSound
      SoundOfSound
      If memory serves me correctly they were JBL L300s.
    11. SoundOfSound
      SoundOfSound
    12. hifitommy
      hifitommy
      hi zonk,

yep, i remember going in there once and he was demoing dq10s with a stax amp. i had him put on the sheffield prokoviev. ine of the sides starts with a dissonant crescendo which is an amplifier challenge for sure. the low sensitivity of the dahlquists ate the stax amp for lunch.

the store had some great equipment and was worth traveling to, even from the sf valley. its fortunate that B&M stores are coming back. if you get back to LA, try going to broooks berdan in monrovia. definitely worth the trip, AND they have a record store there too.

..t
  • About

Birthday:
    June 26
    Legal professional
    Audio, Cars, Photography

Signature

Reviewers keep using the words 'pace' and 'rhythm' and 'timing.' I do not think those words mean what they think they mean.