Eico ST40.....

I've had a solid state rectifier in my ST40 for years, works fine. There are a few tube amps that will take a SS rectifier and the ST40 is one of them.

Glad to hear that the ST40 works well with SS rectification.

-D

All these eico st 40 threads in the last few days are making me scratch my head and look at the one I have packed up ready to send to its new owner.

This thread's Eico is motor boating now and the signal caps still need to be replaced. Should be on my work bench in early spring.

I had an ST40 back in the 1970's that my Dad gave me. He built it as a kit in the early 60's. My parents have a picture of me as a toddler taken in about 1962 crawling on the floor in front of the ST40 with his old Garrard turntable and his homemade speakers.

The speaker cabinets were made from blueprints he got from a how-to article in an audio magazine. They had University woofers with horned tweeters. He gave me the speakers along with the Eico tube amp and the system sounded really-good. All of my friends with solid state receivers and newer speakers were amazed at how great my system sounded. I also added a used Tandberg reel to reel that my neighbor gave me and a Craig 8-track deck to the system.

Good memories.

Back
Top Bottom