IMF owners thread!

Hi, I put film cap in my MkIII and very satified with the result I have obtained from it, but here in the forum many Akers will tell you to keep your X-over with the electrolytics type to keep the oiginal sound of your IMF. I know my Prof.sound better now,so that's m'y expérience, but be prepare to spend more money.

Thanks - I just ordered the full boat from Falcon Acoustics, with the P/E 2% caps, because the kit seems to get such praise. I'll write some kind of review once they're in.

I bought a pair of IMF TLS 50 IIa last week. Beautiful cabinets, original drivers.
Turns out crossover is partly burned and one supert tweeter is not working.

My croosover is similar to the one published here some pages back:

l_1447775595.jpg

My crossover is recaped, but former owner has stuck to original values. I have also measured the inductors:

Capacitors:
C1= 100uf
C2= 40uf
C3= 6uf
C4 = 12uf
C5= 6uf
C6= 6uf
C7= 0.2uf
C?= 12uf

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH
L2 no dot = 0,8mH
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH
L5 white dot = 0,24mH

Resistors:
6R8
3R0
3R0
15R
33R

Hi, do you have DCR values for the inductors?

Well I am soon adding another member to my IMF collection. I still am not done with the TLS 80's I have another thread about and just got
a pair of Compact Monitor 2's off eBay for 250 shipped !

Not sure what the going price is but these looked pretty nice, but no grill's. Maybe someday I'll fins a set.

Nashou

Nashou, did your Compact Monitor 2's come in and how are they?

Pilsern, do you have the DCR values for the inductors in the crossover?

Johnny, am awaiting your report on the recap and TLS50II restore.

Pilsern, do you have the DCR values for the inductors in the crossover?

Johnny, am awaiting your report on the recap and TLS50II restore.

Sorry for late reply, had to dig through my papers for the values, -
Not 100% sure if they are correct, I think they look kind of low..?

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH - 0,16 Ohm
L2 no dot = 0,8mH - 0,16 Ohm
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH - 0,13 Ohm
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH - 0,11 Ohm
L5 white dot = 0,24mH - 0,09 Ohm

They did come but I just got o hook them up. One bad Tweeter :( but I also got a Sony V-Fet TA-4650 a little bit before the speakers but never tested it. I went to use that and it was not working.
Bad V-fet, past the 30 days return I'm screwed. SO now I need to start a repair thread on that.

But I love fixing and learning. I planed to keep the Sony any how as I wanted to get into a V-fet amp and my favorite Brand Yamaha's are too pricey for me.

Athanasios

Sorry for late reply, had to dig through my papers for the values, -
Not 100% sure if they are correct, I think they look kind of low..?

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH - 0,16 Ohm
L2 no dot = 0,8mH - 0,16 Ohm
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH - 0,13 Ohm
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH - 0,11 Ohm
L5 white dot = 0,24mH - 0,09 Ohm

Updated scematic on the IMF tls50IIa:
AWdZPRjhyWFVrjtwpr-z7SG_3Tg4LooYOh7EwdcTGkDnff7-GNMRnt70iyHlqVqCuIyZlfXejt-dg9F2czJV8ZoVIYsAY9cNx22uV8RUX7l2FOQI9jYliBKNvtnddGKr41mb-tIHf1KXJemJdRWTo4grnrea54Ml4TeyiZMJ5L7dIQv4YDKrdxNlA8ndB36TggXI0NtnCG796T7JNAIU5JGlC6F5RzM9xlOvllbq7nG8rZqeypPIGE44VZRYobuhhisgcmr5xt54RfSuKbPeYWBPEbZAYBqnFABwWhyzQOJFwMNWJxUbTyASbUBqI4Ii7E-plQSoHbbmHASU5s2SXecVbw3fxHqnU7qFmfJm9iaVexCBBGBFF5739SPAy9VrmyPWr-f2tSBKYbZdjlolx5CRJNOGu62BR90OoyF2SVJJ5cFmdwvoQMoEhp3sjbrwGgtbugjGnX7epJHNwG89dR7o0z3N7dOs6LAAfhu-7MvwOoLs1Q493q5mwrR7u-tVmhExSV-kYVjcSmR3LOMOZSkQQsnjUSbwbDTTAdmdeyNwSvpJVOmSXFTHYFwQErTRgcRenBA7dBut76Adx53_OuefEAkaKsPrJtPUhSnP3GVLOODy=w1684-h813-no

Left position:
LA-xk0gS31tCsWcR8sw0Zco0-K6fl5mW9ZmPES7fkWgKnuC_IJVVEmQRN0ot7-_ehppqwPpWCOl91yAQ_kIdLFgohbYY1qowmYgeJNYBcCZbow-ZlGJJjNpVO9R9psVoHozMDBWRzG5_-gy3tQ__qhk2ijNBKWj7TLlEl-8DVtzuXiGWPFG2NUYE-Dq85MzElcBa6I9OA2Vkd-N-kqakHSMHeJuTCBV9wYi98n4nI4SC4bHx4onUlwiVQUezeWEd0PoEANkoAhRs-w2Pof0lSSx0CMTP5wqwNdaiVd0HUug6TY7CJLZHchIKyJ9mzsGOpYN3fTIrfanEqlWgw7mdGCVL8uev81-2gAjZv1qJs6j2v1d_bUFxocedVXpFZzknTNZg0sdeEaArN8e03D9DIb-OoYrFtzZMvetgcHyRb3xMTnQOyP0uWpqDXkk1Vz59tUEgaK2OJawpZes2jqDFYggKH8QteoEwi8esC3XtcqE_OAibeubUXz08JFfdUHHWQvb29Pseue9zDk8TKHBLT4ZKDs6K1q0-YK4aL5FdTn9YN5wpLJ8CkMHMQukCJX1pH2BDlfLp4uIN0nWDXLoQ5XX49rIAiULuBi91Qmyeg9YVTMBO=w946-h924-no

Top position:
7_azAaxQU2ZRIBQecZ0OCKIQKo0M85VoSlDs9OM06e3UKzBzQ8DoRSMf740EpB69xBbisfpzQ3wzk18kBNCxUGvgXPe5iAwuVIv1piHJLSR7bVLO5GaCq6ptaslvbSv_ewxax-Koc3dqHeRCUiU09bJAABcruWfAT7cdva3T7o8gyZe84TyENQxYpgdPhBE32YIVTrXTcehAAnTWT2eaPRrdb7NwtQ54jATXZ773ivn-oeZVI8srjoANXxsSwRPnkvuHZeOjFpprw0KHNgNH8Fglem_hxpdmPr-RwvHwBbSz4ZzYt7PkzrvjQiaeTbxsGDsvl_gifGVhZ1-pnv4V_SqLx5RhJXnIjBBczo-_em0PIlEZAtcI-A3M8IztWpzXfRu2C4TP7w1gJ135VXuG_R12JDpSjTp1OKmC5dilVkyGjpyKIVHs81BbMxVavHfAm_cXDLBKS08R_mbLzDzrY0wGWr7DfrjYyG9dHkomIDbJmylivDYHSyEaQRBBEi8HlQHFNj4yzF27UTJjnY3nkk9tHBcsFCEDyOHTfyIezHoxRL058E2Wh9iXNsyI3nKXQ7ZOz7nL8i4-nYasNS38ATGG19-5lrrcJCudiQy0A_GGyKgJ=w946-h924-no

Right position:
a0Qxc17QIHCm1NBHQdeY5WUlkowdG6nU6-i5i8GSpRkx16sjyOjXjjaPH2A3XGsxJwAY0zUuYxnQxmCegBEQUxT71Zsh_L4lXeUE7lGHVNNAkflXc6NaL3dBqTD_yZvF2DwGX1CeV5XFawpJF9284oxKTbBqTuaOgGXzevsUp1-JvF1v2zwKoxos-9aOcWTQ7Skw4UeTT1ef8O7n-d4aiS_kcDIhXZE3ByB9BHOimQYEjmZ3i7Zs3lLy5eh5C2dTdbYUTUM5VxScl8hiMnS2I5PL6mSTQVtC6Xd64gFxUFKTHaxKDCgTYIavB91RII_N1mMM-9tSoOQKxovJTl7ltLdHcukMkvm50bBpRisjTN0xB7aZz3KxPoVGubVUulUrvWEQPImuAJG9Xu5BVU2VI0WnvhdfaPFtq1cBCKw1Klutpr8KUjTKpvzeLq69tQdohxifcF2_XB_z2Nh86GO0tOU6xrExpNgfTWH0OaXsb-F8hpq0kG6VbO-VZYXs0Xiq4bjfvDZXrU5xZVOIM49zHjGVxBkSsFdbORFs0F7k0VVmF1dJd1MnHDu__i0RTWz9ruoWVsvVPKrRWpCpF_Zj_s6-u-7ELrvyz-Njk0vRY6ikbVAE=w946-h923-no

Dont flog me if I have done it wrong ... :dunno:

Welcome to the IMF Owners thread. Pull up a chair and stay a while. :beerchug:

There's a few of us kicking around here on AK. Of course you all know I'm a big IMF fan.

I've put together a bunch of resources for restoring IMF speakers in a post here.

I currently own the following:

IMF Reference Standard Professional Monitor Mk IV
2x IMF Super Compact, one will soon be modded to be like an IMF Super Compact II

I have owned the IMF TLS 50 II and IMF TLS 80 II in the past.

So what do you guys have or have owned in the past? Share your thoughts on this oddball brand as well. And of course, put up some pictures. :yes:

Here is a shot of when I had both the IMF TLS 50 II and IMF TLS 80 II:

You can see some of the non-original drivers in the second shot there, notably the square tweeter and the midrange driver. The bass woofer and tweeter are original. In the first shot you can see the crossover board of the IMF TLS 80 II that wasn't working, so this was basically the day I got the IMF TLS 80 II's.

Here's a shot of the TLS 50 II when I got original/replacement drivers:

Then I sold the IMF TLS 50 II's shortly after, and got my hands on the real prize.

Here they are in their original boxes, being hauled back to where they reside now:
dsc01127b.jpg

And here they are unboxed, at home:

Next to the IMF TLS 80 II (yeah, I thought that was a big speaker!):

The box label:

The distributor for IMF speakers in Canada was in Quebec. :)

Then, an AKer gave me this set of IMF Super Compacts to me for free (yes, I couldn't believe it). One tweeter was shot and they were completely original, but after $200 in parts and some elbow grease I got them back to factory spec:

Picture removed due to being huge!! will repost

And then my latest IMF pick-up, another set of IMF Super Compacts from another AKer. Price wasn't as good as the first set but still very good. :)

DSC01970.JPG

The above isn't my picture, but the AKer's picture of them (hope ya don't mind :) ). When they come home, hopefully this week or the next, I'll put up some of my own pictures.

So, share your IMF's. :)
Welcome to the IMF Owners thread. Pull up a chair and stay a while. :beerchug:

There's a few of us kicking around here on AK. Of course you all know I'm a big IMF fan.

I've put together a bunch of resources for restoring IMF speakers in a post here.

I currently own the following:

IMF Reference Standard Professional Monitor Mk IV
2x IMF Super Compact, one will soon be modded to be like an IMF Super Compact II

I have owned the IMF TLS 50 II and IMF TLS 80 II in the past.

So what do you guys have or have owned in the past? Share your thoughts on this oddball brand as well. And of course, put up some pictures. :yes:

Here is a shot of when I had both the IMF TLS 50 II and IMF TLS 80 II:

You can see some of the non-original drivers in the second shot there, notably the square tweeter and the midrange driver. The bass woofer and tweeter are original. In the first shot you can see the crossover board of the IMF TLS 80 II that wasn't working, so this was basically the day I got the IMF TLS 80 II's.

Here's a shot of the TLS 50 II when I got original/replacement drivers:

Then I sold the IMF TLS 50 II's shortly after, and got my hands on the real prize.

Here they are in their original boxes, being hauled back to where they reside now:
dsc01127b.jpg

And here they are unboxed, at home:

Next to the IMF TLS 80 II (yeah, I thought that was a big speaker!):

The box label:

The distributor for IMF speakers in Canada was in Quebec. :)

Then, an AKer gave me this set of IMF Super Compacts to me for free (yes, I couldn't believe it). One tweeter was shot and they were completely original, but after $200 in parts and some elbow grease I got them back to factory spec:

Picture removed due to being huge!! will repost

And then my latest IMF pick-up, another set of IMF Super Compacts from another AKer. Price wasn't as good as the first set but still very good. :)

DSC01970.JPG

The above isn't my picture, but the AKer's picture of them (hope ya don't mind :) ). When they come home, hopefully this week or the next, I'll put up some of my own pictures.

So, share your IMF's. :)
Hi, I'm hoping that with your extensive knowledge on IMF you can assist me in making a decision based on a photograph.
I have the opportunity to pick up some imf's , I have no idea which model or there condition other than a poor photograph which I'll add , now here's the thing , she wants £5 for the speakers which she describes as having tatty grills BUT !! It's a 600 mile drive !!
Can you identify the model from the photograph? I'd be crazy right ? IMG_3048.JPG

They're either TLS 50s or ALS 40s. My money would be on them being ALS 40s but could be wrong. They look to be in pretty sorry shape - not sure I'd drive 600 miles to collect them even at the asking price. Based on the condition who knows what the rest is like. I'd ask for a picture without the covers on.

Hi and welcome.They look like à pair of Als 40 mk I because if They are Tls 50 mk I the base are missing , Als 40 more probably, why don't you ask for pictures without the grill.

At 600 miles (round trip or one way?), you'd be spending about 10-12 hours of your time and probably £100 in fuel (at £1.10/liter, 25 mpg, 24 gallons of petrol). Do you know of any shops in her area where they might be able to box up and ship for you? Or possibly hire a UShip (yes they have them in Britain too) to get them to you? Might get a nice price for shipping one way to you.

Yes, you need pics with the grills off, and if they are in halfway decent shape, I'd say consider buying them somehow. the midrange surrounds will undoubtedly be in bad shape but there's options to get new surrounds from UK and Euro sources, or replace with a Monacor substitute from Falcon Acoustics (plus a crossover recap kit).

Hi, Mech... the mids should be fine, the mkI serie have no problèm with the surround. And will keep them with original mids if they are okey,the caps have to be done

Hello IMF gurus... looking for some help while I try to Google-search at the same time. Crossover cap values in the TLS 50 series of speakers.

I have a set of my dad's old IMF TLS 50, the serial plates are marked "TLS 50 II W" so I took a wild guess and assumed that they were mk2 and would use the Falcon Acoustics crossover kit "TLS50.2".

The original crossovers have 2x 4uF caps on each board, but the new cap kit from Falcon has 2x 2.2uF caps instead - is this intentional, should I go ahead with the rebuild?

Also... how do you take apart the switch on the back so you can remove the circuit board from the back of the plastic? There's a tiny hole on the switch for a set screw but I can't tell what it is (slot? hex?)

Cheers... I'll post photos soon!

Hi welcome to AK about the 4uf caps change to 2.2uf something is wrong, it should be the same as your original and you should contact Gerry at Falcon, maybe the kit is for an different version? Surprising it should fit all mkII , so it will include all parts for all versions.Some caps are on the board near the switch,the set screw should be slot,that's what I have ,but you never know, use a small mirror to look.

Thanks... yes we are going to ask Falcon about the 2.2 caps. All the rest of the caps in the kit match the correct values and quantities.

I did find this IMF copy of the TLS 50 Mk2 crossover:

index.php

Progress... Jerry sent the 4uF caps over but I need to get them from my brother to continue work on the TLS 50's.

There's an access hole for a small slot screwdriver on the rear panel, covered in genuine vintage IFM black tape - this made for easy access to the small PCB.

There was foam stuck to each board from the original glue. Instead of messing with chemicals I went ahead and ordered a pack of stainless-steel wire brushes for a Dremel tool... $5.18 Canadian, delivered from Hong Kong, thanks Amazon! They worked beautifully.

I have read about modifying the mid-range paper tube by applying an adhesive to stiffen the old material... any input on this mod? Is it as simple as removing all the screws on the front of the speaker to gain access to the tube?

Still need the 4uF caps to complete the main x-over boards.
index.php

"Elusive" service hole - "just look harder dummy and you'll figure it out!"
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Don't worry, I was *very* gentle with the wire brush and the Dremel tool. Removing the bent ends of the old caps can be much rougher on the traces if you miss a spot of solder.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_20161121_1830390.jpg
    IMG_20161121_1830390.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7738.JPG
    DSC_7738.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7734.JPG
    DSC_7734.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_7733.JPG
    DSC_7733.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7732.JPG
    DSC_7732.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_7731.JPG
    DSC_7731.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7728.JPG
    DSC_7728.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to AK Andy, and nice word and picture documentation on your refurbishment. Were your supertweeters working already or did you have any problems before the project started?

Back
Top Bottom