i'm back, sort of.........................................

Congrads on your successful back surgery. At least you have good sound to enjoy during your convalescence

Thanks, Guys. I can walk aroud the house and for short stints outside with either a walker or forearm crutch. NO B-L-T's(Bending-Lifting-Twisting).

I have to turn with my hips 1st. Boy is THAT A PITA! You get used to turning leading with shoulders and the damned therapists screw you all up by making me have to try and use my 2 braincells, one of which is out to lunch, and the other is out looking for the 1st

Last edited:
Just caught this thread. I add my well wishes for an excellent recovery and long term health!

Larry, I truly wish you all the best in your recovery. Your expertise is so valued here....I hope you live to 110 yrs. old.:)

UPDATE: It's now 11 and a 1/2 weeks since the surgery;

Many THANKS for all the good vibes and wishes for speedy recovery, guys (and You TOO GALS!).
Saw the Surgeon last week, with 24 hour old X-Rays. New bone is starting to fill in. This won't be finished for 4-6 months before the intervertebral space is filled in. So I'm limited to under 40 lbs lifting.

With the Right Sciatic nerve stretched the way it was, my right leg is somewhat weak, with pain in my knee joint, and in the foot on the inner side from the ankle to the Great toe. With the Neurontin on board the pain is minimized to a tingling most times except when I walk more than 50ft (length of house) and it gets worse. I can walk around the house without aids, I DO use either 2 forearm crutches or a cane, depending on where I'm going.

I got cleared to drive @ 5 weeks. Good thing the S-10 has 8 way power seats. I set the presets for my normal driving position and full down and back for getting in and out of the truck.

I got cleared to NOT use the Back Brace when Vertical. I still use it for shopping and driving. Shopping I take the forearm crutches and put them in the cart, and walk while getting support from the cart. Back muscle pain is still there, but I no longer have surprise leg drop out (leg giving out and I'm onthe ground because of it) and Sciatic pain constantly down both legs to the knee.

Hot Showers directly on the lower back and heating pad use helps a hell of a lot. When I'm using the pad, I'm either watching Fox News or reading schematics trying to figure out things.

To recap, bone is filling in, Nerve is regenerating, pain is less. Range of Motion and daily use is increasing all the time. I'm able to lift smaller amps, receivers etc, as long as they are under 30#. I still tire somewhat easily (Cardiac problems) but I'm trying to extend that too.

I'm pretty much back to normal, but still have some rocks and schoals to navigate.

Thank you all for the prayers and the well wishes, and the encouragement. That's what AK is ALL ABOUT!

Larry

Great news, Larry and great to hear from you! Really glad to hear you're on the mend!

UPDATE: It's now 11 and a 1/2 weeks since the surgery;

Many THANKS for all the good vibes and wishes for speedy recovery, guys (and You TOO GALS!).
Saw the Surgeon last week, with 24 hour old X-Rays. New bone is starting to fill in. This won't be finished for 4-6 months before the intervertebral space is filled in. So I'm limited to under 40 lbs lifting.

With the Right Sciatic nerve stretched the way it was, my right leg is somewhat weak, with pain in my knee joint, and in the foot on the inner side from the ankle to the Great toe. With the Neurontin on board the pain is minimized to a tingling most times except when I walk more than 50ft (length of house) and it gets worse. I can walk around the house without aids, I DO use either 2 forearm crutches or a cane, depending on where I'm going.

I got cleared to drive @ 5 weeks. Good thing the S-10 has 8 way power seats. I set the presets for my normal driving position and full down and back for getting in and out of the truck.

I got cleared to NOT use the Back Brace when Vertical. I still use it for shopping and driving. Shopping I take the forearm crutches and put them in the cart, and walk while getting support from the cart. Back muscle pain is still there, but I no longer have surprise leg drop out (leg giving out and I'm onthe ground because of it) and Sciatic pain constantly down both legs to the knee.

Hot Showers directly on the lower back and heating pad use helps a hell of a lot. When I'm using the pad, I'm either watching Fox News or reading schematics trying to figure out things.

To recap, bone is filling in, Nerve is regenerating, pain is less. Range of Motion and daily use is increasing all the time. I'm able to lift smaller amps, receivers etc, as long as they are under 30#. I still tire somewhat easily (Cardiac problems) but I'm trying to extend that too.

I'm pretty much back to normal, but still have some rocks and schoals to navigate.

Thank you all for the prayers and the well wishes, and the encouragement. That's what AK is ALL ABOUT!

Larry

So basically you've been cleared by the Dr. to roll tubes! Yes!
Glad it's going well for ya! Just take it easy and enjoy the music.

Rolling tubes is ok as long as it's NOT one of these water cooled monsters.....
wlw3.jpg

Note the catwalk around them suckers!!!!

Fantastic news, Larry - always better to be on the mend than slipping down the hole!
Keep on healing, be safe and enjoy!

Great that you're on the mend.
I suspect you'll have to be more cautious from now on.
Best of luck and leave the heavy lifting to the young'uns.

Good luck Larry, thanks for your help with the 400. I have all the parts I need to get it up and running and now have a worthy Winter project.

Keep healing...you'll be better in no time.

Awesome news Larry. I shattered (broke in three pieces, 5 screws, 2 plates,) my right heel, so I'm on the mend also but it is not anything like you have just gone through. Still is driving me nuts. Can't lift a damn thing unless I can carry it and hop on one foot, which isn't working.

I see the surgeon today for the 6 month (actually 8 months, had to postpone twice) with week old CT Films. I've been lifting a wheelchair with foot extensions into and out of the S-10 now for about 6 weeks 3 times a week since wife went into rehab at the local nursing home. Not bad. Feel good. Still have some slight neuropathy in Right leg, but it's resolving slowly (nerves are slower than the turtle). Mainly numbness in big toe (right), and pain across top of ankle, plus some irritation in the back of the right knee. This is all from the sciatic nerve. The Films look better than the 12week films. The hole that was the intervertebral space where the disc was is now pretty much filled in with bone. I'm using a bone stimulator, and will continue to use it for a while.

So we'll see later today what the surgeon thinks. Hopefully it's good enough I won't have to see him again.

Back
Top Bottom