TacT RCS 2.0S

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
As both of you :)D) who follow my threads know, I've been through several digital EQ/room correction systems over the past few years (Behringer DEQ2496, z-Systems z-Qualizer, TacT RCS 2.0). Recently saw a Tact RCS 2.0SAA at an excellent price, and grabbed the chance to upgrade.

Like the RCS 2.0, this is a digital room correction system that takes a measurement with a calibrated mic at the listening position, and calculates equalization (in both frequency and time domains) to match the listening-position response to a selected target curve. The 2.0S (AA means it has A/D and D/A built in) has more processing power than the 2.0, operates internally at 24/192, and has a much easier user interface. A computer is required for initial setup, but not for everyday operation.

I had been very happy with the earlier version, the RCS 2.0, but I'm happy to say that the 2.0S is a step up in every way. Most noticeable is even better correction in the bass, giving a more solid feel in the bass range. There is also a sense of greater depth of field in the sound, and more detail overall. I could go on with more "audiophile" terms, but the bottom line is that greater processing power and several years of software refinement does seem to matter. The user interface for setup is much simpler, as well, at least for the basics.

There are features I haven't tried yet, like a 12-band parametric EQ and tone controls with adjustable turnover frequencies. I think I'll probably set up a few presets with those for different kinds of music, listening levels, and moods.

Using any of these systems will give you an increased appreciation for the importance of room correction and frequency response. I would not have said that there was anything wrong with the sound before the upgrade, but I am very pleased with the step up.

Oh, and for anyone who's reading this and did not see my earlier threads, the rest of the system is Bel Canto CD-2 transport, DAC2 D/A converter, Channel Islands D-200 amps, and Newform Research R645v3 speakers, all Analysis Plus cabling.

Thanks for the pie-in-the-sky update, Rich! :D I anxiously await when I can introduce the DEQ into my main rig for room/speaker correction. Maybe soon...

Might actually be three of us.... :)

Good stuff, Rich. Thanks for sharing that with us.

As both of you :)D) who follow my threads know, I've been through several digital EQ/room correction systems over the past few years (Behringer DEQ2496, z-Systems z-Qualizer, TacT RCS 2.0). Recently saw a Tact RCS 2.0SAA at an excellent price, and grabbed the chance to upgrade.

Like the RCS 2.0, this is a digital room correction system that takes a measurement with a calibrated mic at the listening position, and calculates equalization (in both frequency and time domains) to match the listening-position response to a selected target curve. The 2.0S (AA means it has A/D and D/A built in) has more processing power than the 2.0, operates internally at 24/192, and has a much easier user interface. A computer is required for initial setup, but not for everyday operation.

I had been very happy with the earlier version, the RCS 2.0, but I'm happy to say that the 2.0S is a step up in every way. Most noticeable is even better correction in the bass, giving a more solid feel in the bass range. There is also a sense of greater depth of field in the sound, and more detail overall. I could go on with more "audiophile" terms, but the bottom line is that greater processing power and several years of software refinement does seem to matter. The user interface for setup is much simpler, as well, at least for the basics.

There are features I haven't tried yet, like a 12-band parametric EQ and tone controls with adjustable turnover frequencies. I think I'll probably set up a few presets with those for different kinds of music, listening levels, and moods.

Using any of these systems will give you an increased appreciation for the importance of room correction and frequency response. I would not have said that there was anything wrong with the sound before the upgrade, but I am very pleased with the step up.

Oh, and for anyone who's reading this and did not see my earlier threads, the rest of the system is Bel Canto CD-2 transport, DAC2 D/A converter, Channel Islands D-200 amps, and Newform Research R645v3 speakers, all Analysis Plus cabling.

Thanks for the preliminary report I would like to know your impressions of the TacT RCS 2.0s vs the DEQ2496 which I have been using mostly the image enhancement and parametric EQ never have hooked up the microphone yet (I am very impressed with it for the low $)

Thanks for the preliminary report I would like to know your impressions of the TacT RCS 2.0s vs the DEQ2496 which I have been using mostly the image enhancement and parametric EQ never have hooked up the microphone yet (I am very impressed with it for the low $)

It's been several years since I used the TacT (I now use a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0), but when I had it, I found it to be a significant step up from the DEQ2496. I don't know what they go for now - TacT Audio is long gone, though some of the technology is now incorporated in Lyngdorf products.

Back
Top Bottom