Votes: 86 52.8%
  • Canon

Votes: 53 32.5%
  • Both

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 25 15.3%

• Total voters
Leica -- I have a coupe of these, very old. Only cameras (past the iPhone) I have owned since the mid '70s.

Also have a Polaroid Land camera stashed away, no idea if it is still operable, but haven't had film for it since the mid 1980s.

Just a hobbyist photographer, but greatly prefer to carry the micro 4/3 camera and lenses vs DSLR. Olympus lenses match anyone on image quality, and are much smaller and lighter, and far less obtrusive than the big guys. I've seen sales figures for Asia, where mirrorless cameras are outselling DSLR by a good margin. We're behind here, as was the case for years with cellphones.

Besides, guys running around with their big DSLRs with the Nikon or Canon emblazoned straps just look so goofy, lol. I don't need to look any goofier than I already do.

Besides, guys running around with their big DSLRs with theNikon orCanonemblazoned straps just look sogoofy.

Ouch that hurt:oops:

I like my Nikon and had a great customer service experience the one time I needed it.
They make nice binoculars too.
As far as I'm concerned, Nikon has earned my next purchase.

After being a devote Canon guy for several years now, as for digital SLR's, I am starting to lean more towards Nikon because they are starting to have better noise results than the previous low noise king, Canon. Resolution is all find and dandy, but nothing chaps my ass more than noisy images. And TBH, I am not sure what Canon is doing these days. Some of their recent releases seem to be more of a step back in certain performance parameters it seems. On a lesser note, even their decision to put slower glass in their point and shoots is a step backwards when those are the cameras that benefit the most by having faster glass because of their noisier images at 400 ISO and higher. IDK, it's a bit disappointing. I like both, but for now I voted Nikon because of their current noise performance.

With that said, I am looking to get an older film SLR for shooting B&W. Call me antiquated, but I like the look and the process of taking pictures with film. That, and the build quality of those old bodies and lenses cannot be denied. IDK, I just like using well-built mechanical things. I am looking to get either a Nikon FE in black and/or a Canon AE-1 Program, or a Canon FTb. I may also try to pry my dad's old Canon EF from his hands. He hasn't used it in like 25 years now, but I don't know if I have the heart to ask him to sell it to me. lol :p

Last edited:
Eywadude, you might want to look into the Nikon F or FM rather than the FE. The only difference is that the F and FM series are fully manual and will work even with a dead battery, the only electronic part being the light meter. If I remember correctly, the FE will only work on a 1/60th without power. Other than that caveat, both the Nikons and Canons are wonderful cameras. Built like tanks and nigh-on indestructible. I have several of each and love them.

Eywadude, you might want to look into the Nikon F or FM rather than the FE. The only difference is that the F and FM series are fully manual and will work even with a dead battery, the only electronic part being the light meter. If I remember correctly, the FE will only work on a 1/60th without power. Other than that caveat, both the Nikons and Canons are wonderful cameras. Built like tanks and nigh-on indestructible. I have several of each and love them.

Well, the main reason why I chose the FE over the FM is because it has also has automatic exposure control, AE lock, longer shutter speed dial settings (up to 8 seconds), better mirror shock absorption (less camera shake), and an interchangeable viewfinder screen. It also has two needles in the finder. One for the shutter speed, and one for the light meter exposure reading, which makes manual exposure easy: just match the needles. I am not too worried about the battery life on the FE though. From what I have read, many users get about 5 years out of their batteries. And as much as I want to get back into shooting with film, it won't be my main camera for shooting, so the battery life should be just fine. That, and the cells are very small and can fit into my bag or even a wallet if need be. :)

I have a Pentax K10D for the better stuff and a Canon Power Shot as a pocket camera. On the shelf there's:

Agfa Ansco B-2 Cadet
Kodak #2 Folding Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model C
Kodak Brownie #2
Kodak Brownie Target SIX-20
Kodak Vigilant SIX-20 (w/original leather case)
Kodak VPK Model B (w/original leather case)

and then there's this little cutey, an Automatic Tom Thumb Camera Radio.

Tom%20Thumb%20Camera%20Radio-1.jpg~original

Tom%20Thumb%20Camera%20Radio-2.jpg~original

That camera/radio is cool.Use to have an east german 35mm years ago.Patrika?Actually took excellent pics and was even better with a tamron telly photo,lol.Also had a f? Nikon manual with a few grand worth of lenses back years ago.

That camera/radio is cool.Use to have an east german 35mm years ago.Patrika?Actually took excellent pics and was even better with a tamron telly photo,lol.Also had a f? Nikon manual with a few grand worth of lenses back years ago.

Praktika. Something of a tank but took good pics none the less. I still have my Grandfathers which he used for decades.

Well, the main reason why I chose the FE over the FM is because it has also has automatic exposure control, AE lock, longer shutter speed dial settings (up to 8 seconds), better mirror shock absorption (less camera shake), and an interchangeable viewfinder screen. It also has two needles in the finder. One for the shutter speed, and one for the light meter exposure reading, which makes manual exposure easy: just match the needles. I am not too worried about the battery life on the FE though. From what I have read, many users get about 5 years out of their batteries. And as much as I want to get back into shooting with film, it won't be my main camera for shooting, so the battery life should be just fine. That, and the cells are very small and can fit into my bag or even a wallet if need be. :)
True about the LR batteries forever. I have an FE since new in 78 when my dad got it from Nikon.

Leica or Voigtlander. i like german engineering.

If we're talking Japanese cameras I'm more an Olympus guy. Everything from the humble trip 35 to OM-1 SLRs in analogue and they're great OM DSLRs.

However the Canonet QL-17 GIII was a great rangefinder in its day.

After reading a zillion reviews I went with the Nikon D3000. Very pleased.
I want to buy a new camera I just have a 12.2 mp Fuji and I like both but was not sure which is better, I guess considering prices I would choose which ever one was fairly priced at the time!?!

Voted Nikon & Other.

Current Cameras...

Digital:
Nikon P310.
Nikon P7700.
Pentax MX-1.
Panasonic DMC-LC70 (Leica optics).

Film:
Pentax K1000.

FWIW

Bret P.

I have a Nikon D600 with a Nikon 70-200 2.8, Nikon 50 1.4, Tokina 16-28 2.8 and a Sigma 24-70 2.8. I love my Nikon but I think Canon is equally as good. I got a Nikon because an old high school friend had one and I liked how it felt in my hand more than the Canons.

Picked up my first SLR (Canon FT-QL w/ 55 f/1.2) in Viet Nam back in `69, bought this F1-N around `81. It`s my favorite 35mm camera, a real tank....

upload_2016-11-4_20-43-11.png

Back
Top Bottom