Is my cabinet fine with the spacing for cooling?

Synchro-bias

New ClassA
Hi All,
The system in my bedroom, the cabinet just 900mm wide, and I am wondering if the space between the amps is reducing the heat escaping, there is plenty of room above for ventilation. The V8 heats up on that side more, but maybe its due to the input board anyway. Once it has been playing for a while heat does is evenly distributed across the channels heatsink. I did the bias adjustment and it was 40.2 and 40.1mv for left and right as per manual.The input board and guard would hinder much side vent cooling anyway? Thoughts
lol the V8X nob is close to the frame - silver knob. I dont think i have anymore of the awesome paint left, as it totally suits the cabinet. Distance between amps is 2cm

10p2d7t.jpg

Heat rises ... I wouldn't worry to much about the space between the amps ...

Can't tell how much room you've got behind the rack, and I assUme there's a solid shelf over the amps? If anything, maybe move the rack out a bit from the wall so the heat can escape out both the front and back.

And ... if it's a solid shelf, I'd consider putting some holes in it towards the back over the vented areas of the amp covers. That can work wonders as well.

looks fine to me
Never seen a technics amp like that .
Me like.
Hi Ferninando :)
Thank you for the reply. I like the V8 and V8X also :) I cover the whole cabinet in a sheet when not in use.

Can't tell how much room you've got behind the rack, and I assUme there's a solid shelf over the amps? If anything, maybe move the rack out a bit from the wall so the heat can escape out both the front and back.

And ... if it's a solid shelf, I'd consider putting some holes in it towards the back over the vented areas of the amp covers. That can work wonders as well.

Thanks Skizo :) There is another shelf which is 30cm (12inch) above the amps, distance from the wall is 15cm (approx 6 inches), and from the brick wall its 25cm (10inch). The shelves are fully adjustable. I could maybe go up one as the turntable interconnect is touching the wall. There is no back the shelves are fully open.
11mgk83.jpg

Agreed. If those are not plastic tops on the shelves, it might also be beneficial to use some other material on the shelves to minimize sympathetic resonance. The steel shelves and frame will rattle like an oil can at some frequencies.

I figured the way you were talking things were way closer. More than enough air space over the amps. :thumbsup:

Plenty of breathing room it looks like, also pay attention to speaker impedance and amplifier design and so on. Sometimes nothing beats placing a hand over it if it gets to warm Id give it more shelf. Some amps might feel too warm but actually perform better because they have a higher operating temperature, that is to say a range they sound best warmed up to.

Re amp comment I never seen one like that myself (top left) but I just left a NAD thread and I see similar syling cues with one of theyre oldies..hm wonder who thought of them first. Or perhaps they have an engineer or two in common, that i cant answer maybe someone else can/will.

After surfing over the page again the stand mounts caught my attention, they make me think of something British, maybe celestions made during or a little after SL's. What are those?

Agreed. If those are not plastic tops on the shelves, it might also be beneficial to use some other material on the shelves to minimize sympathetic resonance. The steel shelves and frame will rattle like an oil can at some frequencies.

Helllo Watthour :) Thank you. The tops are mdf (particle board) - the amps also have anti absorption pads on their feet. The frame is steel but shelves are not,
I figured the way you were talking things were way closer. More than enough air space over the amps. :thumbsup:

Plenty of breathing room it looks like, also pay attention to speaker impedance and amplifier design and so on. Sometimes nothing beats placing a hand over it if it gets to warm Id give it more shelf. Some amps might feel too warm but actually perform better because they have a higher operating temperature, that is to say a range they sound best warmed up to.

Re amp comment I never seen one like that myself (top left) but I just left a NAD thread and I see similar syling cues with one of theyre oldies..hm wonder who thought of them first. Or perhaps they have an engineer or two in common, that i cant answer maybe someone else can/will.

Hello Afewbricks :) Thank you. The Technics SU-V8s do run very warm. I have another sitting on top of a cabinet and it gets just as warm as the black . The turntable and montior are on the top shelve. I have a thick bit of timber which it sits on.

After surfing over the page again the stand mounts caught my attention, they make me think of something British, maybe celestions made during or a little after SL's. What are those?

They are Celestion SL-6 with the copper domes. Fantastic litlte speaker, and match the SU-V8 well. I refeshed the crossover in them, and fixed the tweeter ( tiny wire broken leading to the domp). I was worried at the time, it had blown. but all was good :)

Oh snap lol I thought they were celestions but the pic is a tad bit deceiving to me or its my tv ratio settings or I would of gotten it. I used to have an 80s A/B technics it was rather beat up but sounded good to me it stuck out like a sore thumb, basically it looked like junk. And it did run hot I later found out it was class A up on to around 1/3 or so running power I dont know the model number I was told but it fails me now, the silk screening and much other parts were covered in a rainbow of inks from sitting in someones work place for years.

I'm not really comfortable with the foot length on the amps. If they were mine, I'd put longer feet on them to get the bottoms off the shelf a bit more so you can get more convective airflow that comes up thru the bottom of the amp cases. All other dimensions are or look fine.

Oh snap lol I thought they were celestions but the pic is a tad bit deceiving to me or its my tv ratio settings or I would of gotten it. I used to have an 80s A/B technics it was rather beat up but sounded good to me it stuck out like a sore thumb, basically it looked like junk. And it did run hot I later found out it was class A up on to around 1/3 or so running power I dont know the model number I was told but it fails me now, the silk screening and much other parts were covered in a rainbow of inks from sitting in someones work place for years.

lol the poor old Technics, i couldve imaged how it looked, coming from someones work place, i had an old amp like that with paint and such on it, it some old NAD, finally some nice guy came and got it, he didnt care about the look, more about how it was operating, which is the main thing afterall over looking pretty :D The picture wasnt clear enough showing the speakers, but stands were custom made, i got the Celestions from a friend, when we did a swap. I had a choice of them or Proac, but I found the Celestions were better sounding to me.
zjifxg.jpg

I'm not really comfortable with the foot length on the amps. If they were mine, I'd put longer feet on them to get the bottoms off the shelf a bit more so you can get more convective airflow that comes up thru the bottom of the amp cases. All other dimensions are or look fine.
Thanks Larryderouin
I had a few amps and tuners with hardly any feet, so yes that is a good idea as there are vents at the bottom of the amps for cooling also, would aid in air flow. Lease the cabinet is good, i wasnt that keep on getting a slightly longer cabinet and doing all the painting again :D

image.jpg image.jpg
Hi All,
The system in my bedroom, the cabinet just 900mm wide, and I am wondering if the space between the amps is reducing the heat escaping, there is plenty of room above for ventilation. The V8 heats up on that side more, but maybe its due to the input board anyway. Once it has been playing for a while heat does is evenly distributed across the channels heatsink. I did the bias adjustment and it was 40.2 and 40.1mv for left and right as per manual.The input board and guard would hinder much side vent cooling anyway? Thoughts
lol the V8X nob is close to the frame - silver knob. I dont think i have anymore of the awesome paint left, as it totally suits the cabinet. Distance between amps is 2cm

10p2d7t.jpg
Wow. That is a beautiful Technics amp.. Planning on picking one up today. The Technics SU V450.. Any reviews? Or Leads?

If you are worried, I could see adding some thick vibration pads under the feet. Like Wagner brand 7/8"x 2" square, blue foam sandwiched between rubber. No affiliation. I have bought a few 4" square and quartered and sanded smooth. Put under amps cd and tt's. Their cheap and could promote air flow. Do not know if available in Australia. Or layered cork. Or hockey pucks.

Last edited:
View attachment 820901 View attachment 820900
Wow. That is a beautiful Technics amp.. Planning on picking one up today. The Technics SU V450.. Any reviews? Or Leads?
Hi Yoda,
The SU-V450, has the SVI3205 IC, which is similar to the SVI3206A i have in my Technics SU-G50. It should sound very good I think, and the plus over the SU-G50 is it has better cooling etc.

What I meant was your amp is beautiful.. :) in case you are wondering..

Thanks Yoda, I would expect your talking about the SU-V8. They do look beauitful :)

If you are worried, I could see adding some thick vibration pads under the feet. Like Wagner brand 7/8"x 2" square, blue foam sandwiched between rubber. No affiliation. I have bought a few 4" square and quartered and sanded smooth. Put under amps cd and tt's. Their cheap and could promote air flow. Do not know if available in Australia. Or layered cork. Or hockey pucks.

Thanks Old Guy8. I will see what I can find in Australia, it cant hurt having a bit more air flow underneath, as it gets pretty warm in summer here and humid.

Hi Yoda,
The SU-V450, has the SVI3205 IC, which is similar to the SVI3206A i have in my Technics SU-G50. It should sound very good I think, and the plus over the SU-G50 is it has better cooling etc.

Thanks Yoda, I would expect your talking about the SU-V8. They do look beauitful :)

Thanks Old Guy8. I will see what I can find in Australia, it cant hurt having a bit more air flow underneath, as it gets pretty warm in summer here and humid.
IMG_20161125_154838.jpg
Syncro,
This is what I described. 4" square and 2" after quartering and belt sanding smooth. I paid about $17 USA for eight 4". I've put under turntables, CDP's, amps. They are quite firm. Marketed to go under furnaces, blower fans, compressors. light machinery.
I'm not saying you have a ventilation problem. Just saying raising amp a little might improve ventilation, if you decide you do.

Last edited:
You absolutely don't need more cooling clearance. All fine.

This is my situation with my preamp, and everybody who owns one knows exactly that this can get VERY hot, hotter than your amps at regular volume (and much hotter than the power amp as well).
You can see that the space left is much less. Absolutely no problems so far.

Not trying to be a fearmonger. I bought a Sony ES power amp, not working, at a garage sale. Former owner said he played it loud. I don't know how well ventilated it was. Maybe it was in a cabinet or another componet was on top. I did not quiz him. This is just for conversation. OP has concerns. I don't know what the room temperature is in his room in the summer. One of this amps channels power transisters. I will replace.
IMG_20161103_103430.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom