Tekton Owners Thread

I ordered mine on October the fifth. They should be delivered this Friday the 9th. It was a long wait, because the ring radiator tweeters went out of stock in the US, and the shipment from Malaysia was delayed. Hopefully you guys wont have to wait as long as I did. I'll post some pics and impressions when I get some hours on them.

I ordered mine on October the fifth. They should be delivered this Friday the 9th. It was a long wait, because the ring radiator tweeters went out of stock in the US, and the shipment from Malaysia was delayed. Hopefully you guys wont have to wait as long as I did. I'll post some pics and impressions when I get some hours on them.
You've been very patient, Audio Gorn!!! I think you will be very happy, tomorrow! :)

Well, initial setup went smoothly and the sound of the music is exactly what I was looking for! I have only listened very briefly, but it's clear they have both power and finesse! Beautiful looking, too! My wife said they practically disappear into the room!!! :biggrin: Yeah, right! She's just having fun with me! Anyway, we are both very happy with these lovely speakers. I'm busy right now with work, but I've got them playing Norah Jones in the background...:music: I'll provide some pics once we've cleaned out the boxes and Styrofoam. By the way, thanks to Isaksdaddy, for already providing the un-boxing experience! :thumbsup:

Whoever suggested the rubber feet from JW Winco, many many thanks, these things are perfect. Part 352.1-25-13-1/4-55
Best 20 bucks I've spent.

I'm so jealous of those that have their DI!!! My wife said I could get a set if I sold one of my amps. Arhg!

Whoever suggested the rubber feet from JW Winco, many many thanks, these things are perfect. Part 352.1-25-13-1/4-55
Best 20 bucks I've spent.

I'm so jealous of those that have their DI!!! My wife said I could get a set if I sold one of my amps. Arhg!
I can totally relate, my wife agreed to trading in the Maggies for whatever I wanted, but I had to sell them first! As it turned out, they were only listed for four days before a buyer contacted me, so I ordered the Double Impacts that day! It was a great trade off, IMHO!

It's great to see so many others getting their Double Impacts. It's been lonely being the only one with them for so long, now everyone can hear what I've been lauding. Brute force with delicate finesse.....they float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

We're all lucky to have such accommodating wives, large speakers like this aren't the easiest to work into a rooms decor. I think we all have stories of what we had to agree to get rid of in order to bring them into the house. I had an easy sale as the Legacy Focus SE's I sold were even bigger than the Double Impacts......and I haven't looked back.

This thread is a blessing and a curse! After a long period of time I ordered Pendragons in automotive finish (Porsche Arena Red - check it out!); there's a big price difference between the Pendragons and the Double Impacts, plus I'm more of the tried-and-true camp. The pro audio / mastering engineer side of me has a tough time accepting the 3 ring radiators, let alone 7!

Anyway, the thread is a curse because some of you ordered after I did and I'm still waiting! I'm giving Eric as much time as he needs - he's clearly swamped, and I'm glad to see him doing well. But as a cautionary note in patience to prospective buyers:

Emailed back and forth with Eric on Nov 14th, said he'd build in 7-10 days.
Nothing after that, so I called on the 17th to make sure he knew I said "yes - build them".
Nothing for a while; knowing he's busy I emailed on Nov 30th asking about status - nothing.
Called last night, Dec 7th, spoke with Eric. He's totally swamped, but said the speakers will definitely ship by the weekend. God I hope so! He said he's trying to keep everyone happy, which I totally understand and appreciate.

It's frustrating because I know at least two of you ordered a week or so after me and have gotten your speakers or they are shipping. I don't think Eric would prioritize Double Impacts over Pendragons based on profitability, but it's possible. Oh well. So sorry for the rant, I'm not mad at Eric, I think he's a great guy, I hope his product is great, it's just frustrating doing business with a micro company like Tekton at times! I'll post pics and opinions when I get them.

Eric called to let me know that my Double Impacts are being shipped tomorrow. I told him about this thread on Audiokarma and how well his products are liked. It seems he is aware of this forum.

I'm not married but just met a special lady. Figured this would be a good time to order the speakers, before things get too serious.

It's great to see so many others getting their Double Impacts. It's been lonely being the only one with them for so long, now everyone can hear what I've been lauding. Brute force with delicate finesse.....they float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

We're all lucky to have such accommodating wives, large speakers like this aren't the easiest to work into a rooms decor. I think we all have stories of what we had to agree to get rid of in order to bring them into the house. I had an easy sale as the Legacy Focus SE's I sold were even bigger than the Double Impacts......and I haven't looked back.
Mac, I like your reference to Ali! Very apropos! :)

This thread is a blessing and a curse! After a long period of time I ordered I hope his product is great, it's just frustrating doing business with a micro company like Tekton at times! I'll post pics and opinions when I get them.

Seems lead time is dependant on when you order. Folks were waiting 6 months for their Lores when those were hot & I got mine in 2 weeks. I know component backorders have alot to do with it. And then when the components come in, theres not a huge staff to start assembling product so there's that delay too. Hope you get your Pdragons soon. Patience is a virtue.

The Pendragons are in and after 6 hours or so of break-in time, these are my initial impressions. They are very unusual speakers, unlike anything I’ve heard before. They contradict pretty much everything that’s not hand-made regardless of price (more on this later). It is hard to describe them because the way they sound is almost radiant. That is to say, they know how to disappear because they do not emit sound, they somehow project it. One thing is for certain, they do need a clean sounding amp and surprisingly, not a super high quality of recording. But a good amp is a must in order to get the most out of them in terms of precision and separation of vocals and instruments. They play decently well with MP3’s, and the Internet radio as well, but they truly shine with lossless recordings. They like opera just as much as Rock-n-Roll and are not very picky as far as music genre is concerned. They play music well without being too analytical. I personally don’t like too much analytical sound parsing because after awhile, it gives me a headache. But what is truly amazing is that all this good music came out of the rather plain Jane Apple Express (1st gen) and without digital output. I decided to give the Pendragons their first test run by bypassing my dedicated Stello DA200 Mk II DAC just to see what they can do. I must say that the results were impressive. Again, they do need clean amplification to deliver the goods and they appear to be an excellent match for the Naim pre-amp / amp / flatcap combo.

So how did Eric get this right? First of all, I think that when it comes to speakers, the size matters a great deal and the Pendragons are rather big. Lots of air movement and that is a good thing. They deliver a clean, well controlled bass and I had to pick through my library to find something to really challenge them in the low zone. I settled for “We Always Think There Is Going To Be More Time” by The End Of The Ocean, hoping to trip them up in the low section. Nope, it didn’t work. They have more natural sounding bass than my subwoofers which can overpower the Pens, but not outplay them. By comparison, the subs sounded boomy and could easily get out of line with the rest of the package. Eric somehow tuned the cabinet to deliver the bass quite low, but still sound as a unit with the mid and upper tonal range, which is not an easy thing to do. I think we can safely say that in the bass department, bookshelf speakers are no match for the Pendragons no matter their price or pedigree. One just can’t trick the laws of physics no matter how hard they try.

So far so good and now on to the mystery part. The array of 3 identical tweeters, sandwiched between the two 10” drivers designed to go on an AC/DC gig and not play in my living room and sound the way they do is not supposed to be happening. However, as I learned during my initial tests, somehow it is. Obviously, there is some kind of secret potion brewing here and since I don’t know what’s in Eric’s head and I can’t see inside the cabinet either, this is my best guess. That’s right, it’s just a guess based on what my ears are telling me. Eric is somehow manipulating the mid and upper frequencies and has created a two way “speaker” using the tweeters themselves. It appears that the bottom and mid-tweeter are acting like a midrange driver and the top tweeter does nothing but the highest frequencies. All of this blends in nicely and is presented in one seamless, continuous and natural sounding unit. The mids and the highs’ secret cocktail is then surrounded by the bass drivers and function in unison, delivering crisp and clean sound that mimics live performance as closely as can be expected from a pair of 4-cornered wooden boxes. This is not the way most speakers are manufactured today (or perhaps ever) in any kind of mass-production setting anywhere. This appears to be a product of individual ingenuity combined with experimentation and tinkering to fine tune off-the-shelf components and shape them into the perfect “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” brew. Very nicely done.

I could have spent a lot more on a set of speakers, but why? I’m pretty sure that in my setting these speakers sound as good as the ones that cost three times as much or more. Thank you Eric for delivering what I have been looking for for quite some time.

P.S. What will the dragons sound like when I hook up the DAC? Yikes!

Last edited:
The Pendragons are in and after 6 hours or so of break-in time, these are my initial impressions. They are very unusual speakers, unlike anything I’ve heard before. They contradict pretty much everything that’s not hand-made regardless of price (more on this later). It is hard to describe them because the way they sound is almost radiant. That is to say, they know how to disappear because they do not emit sound, they somehow project it. One thing is for certain, they do need a clean sounding amp and surprisingly, not a super high quality of recording. But a good amp is a must in order to get the most out of them in terms of precision and separation of vocals and instruments. They play decently well with MP3’s, and the Internet radio as well, but they truly shine with lossless recordings. They like opera just as much as Rock-n-Roll and are not very picky as far as music genre is concerned. They play music well without being too analytical. I personally don’t like too much analytical sound parsing because after awhile, it gives me a headache. But what is truly amazing is that all this good music came out of the rather plain Jane Apple Express (1st gen) and without digital output. I decided to give the Pendragons their first test run by bypassing my dedicated Stello DA200 Mk II DAC just to see what they can do. I must say that the results were impressive. Again, they do need clean amplification to deliver the goods and they appear to be an excellent match for the Naim pre-amp / amp / flatcap combo.

So how did Eric get this right? First of all, I think that when it comes to speakers, the size matters a great deal and the Pendragons are rather big. Lots of air movement and that is a good thing. They deliver a clean, well controlled bass and I had to pick through my library to find something to really challenge them in the low zone. I settled for “We Always Think There Is Going To Be More Time” by The End Of The Ocean, hoping to trip them up in the low section. Nope, it didn’t work. They have more natural sounding bass than my subwoofers which can overpower the Pens, but not outplay them. By comparison, the subs sounded boomy and could easily get out of line with the rest of the package. Eric somehow tuned the cabinet to deliver the bass quite low, but still sound as a unit with the mid and upper tonal range, which is not an easy thing to do. I think we can safely say that in the bass department, bookshelf speakers are no match for the Pendragons no matter their price or pedigree. One just can’t trick the laws of physics no matter how hard they try.

So far so good and now on to the mystery part. The array of 3 identical tweeters, sandwiched between the two 10” drivers designed to go on an AC/DC gig and not play in my living room and sound they way they do is not supposed to be happening. However, as I learned during my initial tests, somehow it is. Obviously, there is some kind of secret potion brewing here and since I don’t know what’s in Eric’s head and I can’t see inside the cabinet either, this is my best guess. That’s right, it’s just a guess based on what my ears are telling me. Eric is somehow manipulating the mid and upper frequencies and has created a two way “speaker” using the tweeters themselves. It appears that the bottom and mid-tweeter are acting like a midrange driver and the top tweeter does nothing but the highest frequencies. All of this blends in nicely and is presented in one seamless, continuous and natural sounding unit. The mids and the highs’ secret cocktail is then surrounded by the bass drivers and function in unison, delivering crisp and clean sound that mimics live performance as closely as can be expected from a pair of 4-cornered wooden boxes. This is not the way most speakers are manufactured today (or perhaps ever) in any kind of mass-production setting anywhere. This appears to be a product of individual ingenuity combined with experimentation and tinkering to fine tune off-the-shelf components and shape them into the perfect “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” brew. Very nicely done.

I could have spent a lot more on a set of speakers, but why? I’m pretty sure that in my setting these speakers sound as good as the ones that cost three times as much or more. Thank you Eric for delivering what I have been looking for for quite some time.

P.S. What will the dragons sound like when I hook up the DAC? Yikes!
I put my ears up near the tweets to see if I could hear difference's between each tweeter. I believe I do, Eric states these are 4way speakers so the tweets must have a unique way of doing different jobs. Just a guess, or that one mid is doing upper midrange while the other is lower. I can't quite tell. However, one thing for sure is.......They sound better than I have ever heard from other speakers. I am seriously in love with these beauties!

Just want to give a shout out to EVERYONE who has posted their experiences and opinions about their Tektons, regardless of models...Seems Eric really IS a modern day Wizard, shaking his magic wand and making marvelous speakers appear.....Now to figure out what equipment I can sell to help finance those Double Impacts....

Great write up on the Pendragons, naimster. You obviously understand speaker design and acoustics much more than I and have described the "Tekton sound" wonderfully. Along with some good theories as to how they achieve this sound. Eric talks a lot about even order harmonics, as does Steve Deckert of Decware and I think that might be a major contributor to their real sound. I guess most sounds in nature and sounds that appeal to the human ear are even order harmonics. Both Eric and Steve, and probably many others, are using this to their advantage by designing products that emphasize these even order harmonics. Digitally recorded music is known to produce many odd order harmonics and might be why so many prefer analog.....or at least experience less listener fatigue with it. I still listen predominantly to CD's but begrudgingly admit LP's provide a level of realism that suit the Tektons perfectly. I'm just sharing some thoughts gleaned from talks Eric and Steve as I have no first hand knowledge of any of this, but find it very interesting. Maybe making even order harmonics the most important goal when designing speakers is the key to Eric's success? I'm not sure what makes his speakers so good but after going through Magneplanars, Revel Salons, Vandersteen 3's and Legacy Focus SE's the Double Impacts are here to stay. Well, someday I just might have to get a pair of Pendragons as I'd love to compare them to the Double Impacts.

Last edited:
Great write up on the Pendragons, naimster. You obviously understand speaker design and acoustics much more than I and have described the "Tekton sound" wonderfully. Along with some good theories as to how they achieve this sound. Eric talks a lot about even order harmonics, as does Steve Deckert of Decware and I think that might be a major contributor to their real sound. I guess most sounds in nature and sounds that appeal to the human ear are even order harmonics. Both Eric and Steve, and probably many others, are using this to their advantage by designing products that emphasize these even order harmonics. Digitally recorded music is known to produce many odd order harmonics and might be why so many prefer analog.....or at least experience less listener fatigue with it. I still listen predominantly to CD's but begrudgingly admit LP's provide a level of realism that suit the Tektons perfectly. I'm just sharing some thoughts gleaned from talks Eric and Steve as I have no first hand knowledge of any of this, but find it very interesting. Maybe making even order harmonics the most important goal when designing speakers is the key to Eric's success? I'm not what makes his speakers so good but after going through Magneplanars, Revel Salons, Vandersteen 3's and Legacy Focus SE's the Double Impacts are here to stay. Well, someday I just might have to get a pair of Pendragons as I'd love to compare them to the Double Impacts.

Thanks, Mac :beerchug:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the DI's sound. Awesome speakers.

My understanding was that the 10" drivers were full range & the tweeters were to reinforce only the very highest frequencies. But I could be wrong & it really doesn't matter. What matters is that it works. I hope to have the space for a pair of Pdragons someday. Great write ups guys. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Back
Top Bottom