What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

"McCartney" (1970, Parlophone/EMI, @ 7 1/2 ips)

Sir Paul`s first solo effort was a unique accomplishment. Besides performing all the various musical parts himself, he also did most of the recording, right in his living room, on a Studer 4-track reel-to-reel tape deck.
He had no console for the Studer, not even VU meters, so he had to wing it, and guesstimate the level settings (!). Turned out pretty good, all things considered.

Beatles "Abbey Road" (4-track, 7.5ips)
(Apple Records, 1970)
20161123_031935.jpg

Must be noted that this tape presented me with the best final mix I've heard so far on r-t-r tape. My initial goal was to listen to & post every one here. I'll be surprised if I find a better mix than this album. Highly recommend lights off-eyes closed with this one. It certainly proved its weight in price.

Beatles "Abbey Road" (4-track, 7.5ips)
(Apple Records, 1970)
View attachment 828448

Must be noted that this tape presented me with the best final mix I've heard so far on r-t-r tape. My initial goal was to listen to & post every one here. I'll be surprised if I find a better mix than this album. Highly recommend lights off-eyes closed with this one. It certainly proved its weight in price.

Recently, I also sat down and gave Abbey Road a close listening (first in quite some time), and I marveled at the quality of Paul`s bass playing on that little Hofner, which stood out among all the other great music on the album.

Woody Herman's Woodchoppers and the First Herd "Live at Carnegie Hall"
Verve, 1966
-This tape had everything going for it, a 7.5 IPS Dolby release from Verve of live big band jazz highlights, but alas, what was technologically lacking in the original 1946 recording is apparent and diminishes the experience. Too bad as I was very excited about this one.
IMG_4728.JPG

Led Zeppelin - II (3 3/4ips, Stereo) Atlantic, 1969

*Great album but for some reason this tape sounded flat. Too flat, imo.

View attachment 832298
I hate it when that happens. Like you say, great album though. Fortunately it still has good value if you choose to sell. After numerous similar experiences, I think I'm becoming more and more a 7-1/2 its snob these days, but it is still hit or miss!

I hate it when that happens. Like you say, great album though. Fortunately it still has good value if you choose to sell. After numerous similar experiences, I think I'm becoming more and more a 7-1/2 its snob these days, but it is still hit or miss!
Interesting discussion....I have this album in several formats....domestic vinyl, Australian-import vinyl, CD, at least two R2R copies. All of them (I think, anyway) have a bit of pre-echo at the very beginning of most songs.
Any of you ever notice that ?

Back
Top Bottom