Schiit Modi Multibit

I am using my CCA for the living room just because of ease of connection, it is great at that. But I don't try to push 96kHz SR trough it's optical out, just FLAC's from CD.
Maybe a jitter reducer would help, but then, I am using a $35 ($25 on sale) device, I fell no need to complicate things too much like adding a $155 iFi SPDIF iPurifier to the loop.

Or maybe I will :)
Sure
Well you will never know if you don't try.
The never ending question of upgrading, and improving.
I only saw one or maybe 2 negative reviews of the SPDIF Purifier... that's why I figured it was worth a try you have a 60 day return window.
The negative reviews I saw didn't make much sense, in the way they were written... so I didn't put a lot of weight into them.
IMHO it's like almost like saying whether you'd like your ears partially filled with cotton or not... if your system is capable you will definitely hear information and layers in your music you didn't hear before.
Yep...it's a great product and does what the positive reviews say, no doubt about it.
That's why IMHO it's a bargain at the retail price... given the improvements you realize.
And it also seems to, so far anyway, elliminate one of the major drawbacks of a external DAC. The possibility of data loss, and all sorts of connecting cable considerations.
From the reviews I read when using the purifier the connecting cabling really doesn't matter much, if at all.
Same seems to go for the USB purifier 2 as well.

Last edited:
I think it's important also what kind of DAC is receiving the SPDIF. Some are more tolerant to jitter than others. Some can handle some jitter at 44.1/48kHz but they quickly "complain" when jitter is present at 96kHz.

Example - ESS claims that their Sabre DAC (delta-sigma) is almost immune to jitter, while my multibit DAC might be more reveling (less tolerant) in this aspect. So the "experience" will not be equal.

LE: Dang it, I hate you! I discovered that iFi Audio opened a brick-and-mortar store just 15 minutes away from my house. Now I need to go there and I bet I will spend some cash...

Last edited:
Sure
Well you will never know if you don't try.
The never ending question of upgrading, and improving.
I only saw one or maybe 2 negative reviews of the SPDIF Purifier... that's why I figured it was worth a try you have a 60 day return window.
The negative reviews I saw didn't make much sense, in the way they were written... so I didn't put a lot of weight into them.
I think it's important also what kind of DAC is receiving the SPDIF. Some are more tolerant to jitter than others. Some can handle some jitter at 44.1/48kHz but they quickly "complain" when jitter is present at 96kHz.

Example - ESS claims that their Sabre DAC (delta-sigma) is almost immune to jitter, while my multibit DAC might be more reveling (less tolerant) in this aspect. So the "experience" will not be equal.

LE: Dang it, I hate you! I discovered that iFi Audio opened a brick-and-mortar store just 15 minutes away from my house. Now I need to go there and I bet I will spend some cash...
I suppose that depends on your definition immune to jitter.
I think you would have to take some measurements as well as listening test to figure that out.
The purifier also does the number of additional things.
IMHO The best route to go is to have this all built in with no external cables to your player.
But then you can have fun with different types of external DAC's
The bottom line is what you get out of your system as mentioned you have 60 days to try it out if it doesn't work you're only out a little bit of cash.
Most people that have a mega buck DAC, probably think there's is the end-all be-all so they wouldn't go this route.
But it would be interesting to see if and which/ a super high-end DAC would benefit from this little $150 unit.
I'm sure, like anything else your results are vary.
But IMHO again it's worth the 60 day trial .. you really have a little to lose... and knowledge to gain.

Sure
Yep...it's a great product and does what the positive reviews say, no doubt about it.
That's why IMHO it's a bargain at the retail price... given the improvements you realize.
And it also seems to, so far anyway, elliminate one of the major drawbacks of a external DAC. The possibility of data loss, and all sorts of connecting cable considerations.
From the reviews I read when using the purifier the connecting cabling really doesn't matter much, if at all.
Same seems to go for the USB purifier 2 as well.

Direct connect, as noted in my post on the previous page. Today is three weeks since the introduction of the iFi in my system but I made a change in my power cord orientation [with the iFi] so I'll have to pull it to "see" exactly what it's doing IMS. I also discovered the bias on my 2a3 tubes had drifted slightly, so it's unclear what has accounted for the upshift in performance. But, most definitely it's an improvement.

Got my Modi Multibit, it really is the Schit!

For those unfamiler with the phrase that means it is a good thing, a very good thing.

Only a few days into internet streaming. i5 & Windows 10 (i7 when back from shop) by usb to Modi MB then to Rogue Sphinx amp driving stacked ADS L880's. Internet radio sounds very good to me, so far. Just 128kbps, Radio Swiss Jazz. Hope which ever pay service I choose is even better.

Last edited:
I run my MB into a preamp.
H/K PT2300, driving a PA2400, in turn driving my awesome modded original model Mojo AMT3 Rock Monitors.
My living room/ secondary system.
My main system is waiting for me to finish my second pair of super modded AMT3's.

Mimby in the house and out of the box I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

Amazingly small but I like that as it fits on top of the Niles switcher.

P1040019.jpg

While I'm impressed with the sound of the Mimby it looks cheap compared to my Audio GD NFB which cost about the same.

20110501155854.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, but it's well made.
IMHO it looks good enough and the sounds what's important.
There's a lot of good technology packed into that little box and that's what you're paying for.
The MB continues to amaze me.
Along with the SPDIF Purifier i'm re-discovering a lot of old faves.
Iggy Pop- Gimme Danger
TRex- 20th Century Boy/Jeepster
There's a lot of information locked up in those tracks that I never really heard so well, so balanced, smooth and coherent. The timing is right on, you can hear the subtle changes in the speed of the rhythm, drums timing etc.
Outstanding!!
Spinning Jeepster makes you want to get a pair of polyester huggers, big belt and satin shirt and boggie! My 8 year old girls seem to agree!!
Thanks to Tonya Harding - complete with hubcap Diamondstar halos..
It's really hard to describe, unless you experience it first hand.
Akin , for me anyhow to conversing with someone who speaks broken English.
Vs someone that speaks perfect English including slang's references etc.
It just so much easier and pleasant to hear and understand.
You ears and mind don't have to work
so hard!

Last edited:
^^ Agree. The Chromecast and the Schiit Modi Multibit are two of the least expensive components in my 9k system. With the bulk of the cost wrapped up in my speakers. The amp was purchased direct from the manufacturer or else it would have been close to the cost of the speakers. I'm eye-ballin' upgrades for the CCA but will entertain a mod for the amp 1st and I'm in no hurry to explore a new streamer / renderer.

I selected this mini into standard optical cable for the CCA because of it's short and less cumbersome length. I don't spend much for digital cables as they either work or they don't work. If they pass the signal that's as good as it gets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1FT-30CM-TO...472117?hash=item1eba4aa1b5:g:txYAAOSwYIxYBg7J

Thanks Poultry, I was looking for a short one like that. I have that same view on cables, the one I have coming is the 3 footer from Monoprice for $2.13.

Thanks Poultry, I was looking for a short one like that. I have that same view on cables, the one I have coming is the 3 footer from Monoprice for $2.13.

I picked up two of those 3 footers from Monoprice as well and they look the same as the one from eBay only longer.

Back
Top Bottom