Vintage film cameras

Thank you. She was quite the lady. Out lived three husbands, lived in Pakistan/India at age 65+ for a while with her second husband. Traveled all around the world too. Met her third husband on a trip to Poland they were both on.
I also ended up with a IIIa from my grandfather.
I just realized I could do some mixing and matching since my adapters for my A7ii are M mount.
Will this work?
DSC05821 (Large).JPG

DSC05818 (Large).JPG

DSC05823 (Large).JPG

Just fooling around while waiting for football to start.

Last edited:
Looks very nice to me and don't see why it wouldn't work. My last film camera to shoot was two years ago and that was a Linhof 6x17sIII Technorama. Since retiring I got very busy and don't have time to shoot anymore. Still Have Many Leica's, Nikon F (early) etc., I am slowing selling off my collection. I owned and operated a Professional photo lab, studio & camera store in So. Lake Tahoe, Ca. and Reno, NV for many years. Accumulated lots of equipment, not to mention attending camera shows for the past 35+ years.

Those lenses you have will be fun to play with...

I'm wondering if the focus point will be on the film plane with those lenses.
I can only imagine working in the Tahoe area. Most of my career was spent in windowless buildings.
I'd like to see some pics of your Leica's and Nikon's. I'm kind of a hardware junkie that loves old mechanical cameras.

If those were designed for the Leica M, then yes, otherwise NO. The only way to find out besides doing the math on the adapter/film plane to lens etc. is to shoot some film to test.
I have sold many of my more rare pieces but I will upload some photos later.

I'd have to work the math out. What I'm using is an adapter that adapts Nikon F mount to Leica M mount for my Tech Art Pro adapter, which is Leica M to Sony E mount. I figured the Nikon F to M mount would fit and it did, but the distance is still in question.
It gives the M3 a different look that's for sure.
Maybe Zone Focusing would work?

Zone focusing is really the only way and be sure to stop the lens down for depth of field which is critical if the mount distance is off.

I was planning on f8 or f11 just to be sure of that.
I may pony up and shoot a roll of color just for grins to see what happens. Local shop can develop it pretty quickly for me and digitize the results too.

The M3 had a CLA about three years ago so it should be good to go. I've got some old color film sitting around and it's a sunny day. Think I'll load it up and go to the beach with all the lenses and give it a try.

I'm wondering if the focus point will be on the film plane with those lenses.
I can only imagine working in the Tahoe area. Most of my career was spent in windowless buildings.
I'd like to see some pics of your Leica's and Nikon's. I'm kind of a hardware junkie that loves old mechanical cameras.

This M2 "original" Black Paint was one of my favorite in the collection. Very rare, especially in this condition. Sold it a few years ago.

DCS_4484.jpg

This one (Linhof) was my last film shooter, also sold last year. Wonderful camera. I still have an 180 APO Schnider lens just in case I get the urge to buy another body and shoot film.

_DSC0421 copy.jpg

Wow, that M2 is nice, so's the Linhof.
I just got back from the beach and shooting the test roll. I forgot how restrictive shooting film can be. 200 ISO is pushing the speed limits even with the lens stopped down to f11 and f16. We'll just have to wait until Wednesday afternoon to see the results of the test.
This is the scene I shot taken with my A7ii w/Canon 35mm f2.8 lens attached.

DSC07739 (Large).JPG
Used my tripod and took notes too so should be interesting to see what turns out.

I wasn't sure if I should have included the pier which is just to the right of the palms, but I figured the trash cans and wall will give a good indication of what is and isn't in focus. I was kind of disappointed as it wasn't as clear down there as I'd hoped it would be. You can't see Catalina today as it's too hazy at ocean level.

Well it seems no good deed goes unpunished. I was putting the camera away and was going to exercise the shutter a little and now it's jammed. :(

That doesn't sound good. Sometime it can be unjammed. Try using your self timer lever. slide it down and then push in the little button on the side. It may, just may reset the shutter. Just don't force anything. Most of the time jamming on the M occurs when it is set to a slow shutter speed such as 1 sec or half sec and people wind the shutter before the timer in the shutter winds down.

Edit: are the shutter curtains still visible?

Last edited:
While I don't want to turn this thread into a fixit posting here is what I can see of the shutter curtains.
I tried the self timer, no joy there.
I will admit to having some trouble loading the film. I think a piece may be stuck in the curtain track at the bottom but not sure.

DSC07742 (Large).JPG

DSC07743 (Large).JPG

Back
Top Bottom