What are you drinking now?

Playing some Stones, drinking a G&T.

20170115_122720.jpg

The hydrometer sample from checking a Barley wine I brewed in December. Trying to decide what to do now though. The sample came out at 1.032, which is fairly sweet, but the starting gravity was 1.13. This equates to ~12.8% alc/vol. as is. Apparent attenuation is 73%, so I think the yeast just gave out. The problem is deciding whether to add a champagne yeast to finish it off and then bottle, or just bottle as is and hope for some residual carbonation occuring. Want to lay this down for several years to see the changes over time.

Last edited:
Got like 5-6 of ^^^^ those ^^^^ bottles on the shelf...

Anyhow another evening & another Rolling Rock,basically my "budget minded" go-to lately.
Yeah I know,mass produced corporate swill some'll say,still tastes good enough for me.

It's even better to me when I throw a shot of Phillip's rootbeer schnapps in there,but alas not feeling like doing that tonite.

FWIW

Bret P.

Well, tonight I've gone "slumming"(lol) and right now I'm having this:

evan-williams-bottled-in-bond-bourbon.jpg

TBH, I don't always have to have Blanton's, Pappy Van Winkle, or Rock Hill Farms (my personal all-time favorite) to enjoy a glass of the brown stuff. Sometimes a simple flavor profile is all I want. Tonight is one of those nights. Sure it isn't as layered and complex as the expensive stuff, but this is good stuff at this price range, and acquits itself quite well, especially with a few drops of water in it (it's 100 proof). What this is, is a good bourbon with a solid foundation of flavor. A foundation of flavor that many at this price range tend to get wrong IMHO. I'm happy enough sipping this tonight, and if someone offered me a glass of this stuff, I certainly wouldn't turn it down. :)

As a side note, this stuff is also good on ice for people who like it on the rocks. It's also good as a 50/50 mix with Wild Turkey American Honey or Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey on the rocks if you like that sort of thing. I never did until my uncle won me over with that one! lol :oops: I used to use Blanton's in the mix until I found that this stuff makes for a good cheaper alternative for a mix with a honeyed bourbon. Also, the regular black label Evan Williams Straight Bourbon (40%) is good at this price too. It's better straight up though. It tends to lose it's flavor easily if you add water or have it on the rocks, but it's decent stuff for the money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom