Issue with my SX-1250

delbomberger

I had my SX-1250 rebuilt about 18 months ago, and it seemed to function perfectly. I determined later that the right channel would play for awhile and then just drop out. If I turned balance all the way to the right I could barely hear it. For the short term I just connected to another receiver I have, but I'm missing the Pioneer so spent this morning trying to troubleshoot. Sure enough when listening to an AM Station, just for a constant source the right channel would go out after two minutes, maybe three. I would turn off the unit and when turning it back on both channels sound great. I put on a record and for 45 minutes the music sounded great at which time I noticed it is now the left channel that is gone.

Does this description lead anyone to have an idea what is going on or what I should check next?

Thanks in advance.

I would agree in most cases, but in this particular case I think I won't name them as I don't believe this is likely the issue since they do so many 1250 restorations in addition to many others, and I've had a lot of work done there and bought a number of items from them as well as spending a good deal of time in their shop auditioning rebuilt equipment. I don't question their competence at all-though even the best can err in once in a while. My challenge is that I've relocated and won't be back there till Spring and would like to make some progress before then. Perhaps I am just looking for a good recommendation in the Tucson/Phoenix area.

With a 1250, this is almost certainly a problem with cruddy switches. I love the 1250, but those switches are a PITA to keep functioning at 100%.

I am not sure how sufficiently those switches have been cleaned with de-oxit, maybe they need another going over to start with.
Who rebuilt it? 18 mo ago hardly bespeaks competence.
Give it a break, you are talking about a receiver that might be older than you are, it was mfg in ~1978, so that makes it ~39 years olds receiver. The switch contacts are tarnished. To properly do the job, each switch has to be totally torn apart, cleaned up and re-assembled. In some cases de-oxit alone will not sufficiently do the job. Others have shown this to be the case.
Do you have any idea how much time it would take and what someone should charge for such a task? I'd say a good part of a week. How much do you get paid a week?, if we use that as an example and you probably do not even have that skill set, so what, I should get paid less than you? I am talking just for switch cleaning alone coming close to what it is worth in the first place.

I have a 950, mfg basically in the same time frame, I do exactly as was mentioned earlier, it has become a ritual.
Try cycling the two filter switches many times, when off, then turn on and see if that gives you any relief of the symptoms.
I cycle every switch in which the signal transverses, that included the source function, tape monitors 1 & 2, the hi/low filters & adapter. Seems to work fine until the next time I use the unit.
Good luck

Last edited:
The filter switches are just more notorious for causing cut out problems.
maybe on your particular unit, for my 950 it is the adapter switch. I need to get in their and give it a good cleaning.
Other than the source selector interlocking switch, they are essentially the same switch design as the tape,adapter except that is a 4pdt, two more contacts to have tarnished. One permanent fix/solution is to just bypass the tone ckt altogether. Even the filters can be bypassed permanently. I never use tone controls/eq's anymore. If you listen to old LP's well maybe you want to leave the tone controls/filters intact.

Back
Top Bottom