Greeting from Boston Rookie & Pointed Question

pja786

Hey all--

I'm getting back into home audio equipment! And I am in the market for my first turntable. Also looking for speakers and a vintage analog receiver.

Because there are countless options, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed on how to decide what to get. I also don't know what is a good deal/price and what is a ripoff. Obviously there's subjectivity in play, but I haven't seen prices enough to know what's reasonable. Does anyone have tips on making educated decisions for equipment?

For receivers, I'm very attracted to the Marantz 2270 1974 WC22 (https://reverb.com/item/3894001-marantz-2270-1974-wc-22-walnut-case), but honestly I have no clue how I'd ever sample one. And the prices I've seen are $800+, which feels expensive for something I've never sampled or know much about. But the style and design is SO nice--not sure how much that drives ppl's decision to purchase.

I'd love pointed tips on how to make educated decisions on purchases. Also would like to know what people look for when deciding to buy/ what drives your decisions.

Thank you!

Welcome! A great way to research what the market will bear is to read ads in Bartertown after subscribing, Kijiji, CAM and E-Pray. I read the ads a couple hours a day for two years and it gave me a solid base for what the difference between a rip off and a good deal was. And yes Marantz prices are crazy though it is good stuff. You can get 70 watts in Pioneer or Kenwood for a lot less than half for example. Happy hunting__;)

Welcome! A great way to research what the market will bear is to read ads in Bartertown after subscribing, Kijiji, CAM and E-Pray. I read the ads a couple hours a day for two years and it gave me a solid base for what the difference between a rip off and a good deal was. And yes Marantz prices are crazy though it is good stuff. You can get 70 watts in Pioneer or Kenwood for a lot less than half for example. Happy hunting__;)
Thanks a lot! Just a follow up amature question: is 70 watts in a receiver a sold number?

Welcome to AK! A vintage Pioneer xx50 series receiver, any Technics direct drive turntable, and a pair of good-quality speakers and you'll be set for a long time.

Welcome to AK! A vintage Pioneer xx50 series receiver, any Technics direct drive turntable, and a pair of good-quality speakers and you'll be set for a long time.
I'm really liking what I hear about Pioneer SX-850. Prices seem to be around $250-300. Is paying in that range too high?

Thanks a lot! Just a follow up amature question: is 70 watts in a receiver a sold number?
This is just an intro forum - you can post questions in General audio Discussion or a more specifically titled thread on a brand. But yes 70 watts is approaching face melting capability IMHO.

Hey all--

I'm getting back into home audio equipment! And I am in the market for my first turntable. Also looking for speakers and a vintage analog receiver.

Because there are countless options, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed on how to decide what to get. I also don't know what is a good deal/price and what is a ripoff. Obviously there's subjectivity in play, but I haven't seen prices enough to know what's reasonable. Does anyone have tips on making educated decisions for equipment?

For receivers, I'm very attracted to the Marantz 2270 1974 WC22 (https://reverb.com/item/3894001-marantz-2270-1974-wc-22-walnut-case), but honestly I have no clue how I'd ever sample one. And the prices I've seen are $800+, which feels expensive for something I've never sampled or know much about. But the style and design is SO nice--not sure how much that drives ppl's decision to purchase.

I'd love pointed tips on how to make educated decisions on purchases. Also would like to know what people look for when deciding to buy/ what drives your decisions.

Thank you!

Hi there! Welcome and check out the Frankenfest in late February. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ed-for-clinton-ma.749050/page-2#post-10210455 where many systems will be for demo and/or for sale. May be a good way to get a sense of what you might like.
Also if interested I live an hour away from Boston and happen to have a 2270 setup currently and would be more than happy to demo for you. pm me if interested.

just for fun

Hi there! Welcome and check out the Frankenfest in late February. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ed-for-clinton-ma.749050/page-2#post-10210455 where many systems will be for demo and/or for sale. May be a good way to get a sense of what you might like.
Also if interested I live an hour away from Boston and happen to have a 2270 setup currently and would be more than happy to demo for you. pm me if interested.

just for fun
Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely have to check out Franken Fest. Also, that 2270 looks great--would love to sample.

Welcome to the AK Crew.

As in any substantial hobby purchase, read, listen to suggestions but most important listen to what's out there.

The most precarious buy will be the speakers. Be fussy on this gear.

The amp/receiver is next in importance but don't put too much importance on power(watts) and learn the difference between the two different ways to measure watts.

The TT is the most difficult piece of the puzzle and you can always upgrade on this one. Suggestions come into play more so on this one. Listen to what others think and have had.

There are a lot of variables involved so take yer time. It's like buying a vintage car. There will be a lot to pass on.

Q

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom