Five Favorite Science Fiction TV Series - Mine and Yours

Of all the Star Trek Franchise my vote goes to Enterprise. It's the best of all of them as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't stand the BG new series... to me it was just stupid. I did like the new Rader renditions. I hated all the human in disguise crap. And I could not except Starbucks's being a chic.

the Netflix Stanger Things is brilliant and should be mentioned. It's Gooneys, ET and stand by me all wrapped up in one story.

ITs probably more fun to think on the goofed awful ones..
ARC II, Buck Rogers, so many weird low budget failures. I'm sure they will be rebooted soon by Hollywood..

1. Twilight Zone
2. Start Trek TOS
3. Babylon 5
4. Outer Limits
5. Time Tunnel
Honorable mention: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

FWIW, I always called Star Trek TNG "Star Trek for women". In the first episode, which spanned two hours, not a single weapon was fired. They just talked about stuff. Boring!

As a Vorlon, OUR question is WHO ARE YOU, while the Shadows ask WHAT DO YOU WANT. B5 proved to me that Walter Koenig could act. Great cast.

Senior brain fart + weed is my only defense. :smoke:

Are you a green or red Vorlon?

Last edited:
Any one ever watch the series Earth Final Conflict? I stopped when a main character left the show. But it was decent.

1. The X-Files
2. Farscape
3. Firefly
4. The Outer Limits (original series)
5. The Outer Limits ("new" series)

Honorable Mentions: Star Trek (the real one, I hate all of the later series), Battlestar Galactica (I like both original and the later one), Futurama, V (later version--I love anything with Morena Baccarin), Lost in Space (cheesy, but I love it), The Jetsons

1. The X-Files
2. Farscape
3. Firefly
4. The Outer Limits (original series)
5. The Outer Limits ("new" series)

Honorable Mentions: Star Trek (the real one, I hate all of the later series), Battlestar Galactica (I like both original and the later one), Futurama, V (later version--I love anything with Morena Baccarin), Lost in Space (cheesy, but I love it), The Jetsons
I feel so stupid. Firefly is my number one. I just forgot about it. And I watched Serenity just last night!

I could never get into Farscape, try though I did.

1. Twilight Zone
2. Start Trek TOS
3. Babylon 5
4. Outer Limits
5. Time Tunnel
Honorable mention: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

FWIW, I always called Star Trek TNG "Star Trek for women". In the first episode, which spanned two hours, not a single weapon was fired. They just talked about stuff. Boring!

That's because they had Picard continuously surrendering for half the first season; I guess it was their only way to distinguish him from the macho, ego-driven Kirk.

Go figure.

(However, I do think they made up for it in their "creepier" episodes like some of the Borg episodes and Conspiracy)

Red Dwarf, Dr Who (Baker Era), The Lost Room, X-Files & Westworld.

Thunderbirds was cool too..

Original HHGTTG was more a mini series and then got me onto the original Radio series which was superb.

I have to lump Star Trek together as a franchise, but my favorite parts were the original series (and its animated continuation) and DS9.
Firefly might well be the most solid (and most criminally mistreated) 14 hours of sci-fi ever put on TV. The continuation movies and comics have also been excellent. I've long since lost track of the document, but at one point, Fox actually issued an apology for all of the ways they screwed this up - right after they fired the executive responsible. An interesting concept and one of the most stellar casts ever assembled on the small screen, with some truly brilliant writing. The fact that the writing staff was able to rip off "The Train Job" in a weekend after the idiot execs at Fox decided to not air the pilot shows just how talented they were.
Doctor Who: right up there with Star Trek in the "influencing people and opening minds to new ideas for 50+ years" department. As Craig Ferguson so brilliantly put it on the cold open that was cut from his show when he had Matt Smith as a guest: "it's all about the triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism!" (using the second definition of "romance," not the one more commonly thought of in the US)
Battlestar Galactica: DS9 with the gloves off.
Futurama: smart, scientifically literate social commentary with a retro-futuristic wrapping.

There's a lot of other great stuff that I don't feel really fits purely in the "science fiction" department, but has elements of it: The Prisoner, The Avengers, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, the DC-comics based shows on the CW, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off, Angel, Archer, etc.

1. Fringe, 2,The Outer Limits, 3.Dr. Who, 4. Star Trek,(Enterprise, TOS, ) 5. The Prisoner (original). Growing up as a kid, the Gerry Anderson shows (Fireball XL-5, thru Captain Scarlett, UFO), Voyage to the bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Space 1999, Lost in Space, Fantastic Voyage, Johnny Quest.

Only 5? In no particular order -

Top 5:

The Expanse, X-Files, Farscape, ST:TOS, & Dr. Who (Tennant era).

Huh. Thought I was the only one liked Caprica ... then again, we were probably the only two watching it, which might explain it's quick light speed trip to neverland ... <G>

Lot of B5 groupies here. Add me to the list.

Does Orphan Black count? Clones are SciFi, aren't they?

(Clones are real)

You stay out of this! Back in the basement where you belong!!

Uh. Where was I?

Oh, yeah. Firefly.

Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from meEEeeeee ...

And more current ... The Expanse. I had my doubts as to how the series would track the books, but so far, so good. Only complaint I'd have is the Protomolecule doesn't look anything like the real thing.

(Can I play with the Protomolecule?)

Shuddup Clone - DON'T make me come down there!!

And ... drum roll please ... Fringe. Another borderline SciFi that took the genre in a whole nuther direction. Walter's my hero.

Just finished Expanse's first disc and I'm hooked.

So far it even looks like the seasons will be tracking each book. So that would be a six season run ...

Oh ... wait ... make that seven. For now ... Persepolis Rising ended up being postponed because Babylon's Ashes was postponed, but last I heard, it should hit the shelves late 2017 ...

latest

PS ... is it my imagination, or does the Nauvoo (AKA Behemoth AKA Medina Station) look a lot more like the TV series version than it did in the earlier cover art? ;-}

Oh. I mentioned earlier I didn't like the looks of the protomolecule. Gotta say, it's a lot easier on the eyeball than it used to be ... <G>

miller-finds-a-protomolecule-infected-julie-mao-in-the-heart-of-eros.gif

Because I've not read the books I hope any discussions of The Expanse stay confined to the reveals on the show.

/as an aside, the expanse like mr. robot and the man in a high castle have set my minimum acceptable standard for any new series; freakin' wow!

Are we safe in posting up about stuff that's already happened? That tasty lil protomolecule I pic'd earlier was in the last episode aired.

And really, I'd seriously suggest adding the entire series of books to your reading list. It's an incredibly rich universe, and the tv show is tracking true as mentioned, but just barely skims over some of the intricate threads of the story. I just picked up on Babylon's Ashes recently and plan is to re-read from book one. It's been a while, and we're only talking a few thousand pages, right? <G>
** Might want to stick with paperbacks though. I see the original publisher's hardcover is going for around $250 now. :yikes:

Are we safe in posting up about stuff that's already happened? That tasty lil protomolecule I pic'd earlier was in the last episode aired.

And really, I'd seriously suggest adding the entire series of books to your reading list. It's an incredibly rich universe, and the tv show is tracking true as mentioned, but just barely skims over some of the intricate threads of the story. I just picked up on Babylon's Ashes recently and plan is to re-read from book one. It's been a while, and we're only talking a few thousand pages, right? <G>
** Might want to stick with paperbacks though. I see the original publisher's hardcover is going for around $250 now. :yikes:

Not in my thread sKiZo. (insert angry armed crossed ready to obliterate emoji here) I just finished episode 4 and your spoiler post better not have ruined for for me or I'm gonna tell on you. After tomorrow I won't care. :thumbsup:

The only thing missing is that in space they cannot here you scream.

Last edited:
Because I've not read the books I hope any discussions of The Expanse stay confined to the reveals on the show.

/as an aside, the expanse like mr. robot and the man in a high castle have set my minimum acceptable standard for any new series; freakin' wow!

Mister Robot is excellent. Having been a big reader of PKD back in the day I'm hesitating with The Man in the High Castle.

Going with the Mars novel tangent, have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy?

OK then ... not gonna second guess who's seen what and when, so I'm outta here. Have fun with it!

Back
Top Bottom