Entry-Level Headphone Recommendations

ramair02

Hi All,

I know you're flooded with requests like this, so I'm sorry to be repetitive. I used the search function and also did some research on Reddit, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on my first pair of decent cans.

I'd like to purchase on-ear headphones for under $100. I'm sure I'll get the itch shortly after to get something more respectable, but I don't yet have the ear for quality and am working my way up.

I've seen the AKG K 240 (http://amzn.to/2lDhe6J) recommended highly, but am open to learning about other options and what you guys think will suit my needs best.

I typically listen to old school hip hop and classic rock. Mixed in with that is 80s Pop, Doo Wop and Punk/Emo/Screamo/Hardcore. I've been consuming music through a U-Turn Orbit Turntable and vintage NAD 7240PE amp. That'll be where I primarily use the headphones, although I'd like the option to use them with my Google Pixel phone when in transit as well.

I don't need something with an unreasonable amount of bass. Obviously, I want some, especially for hip hop, but nothing like Beats and similar brands that just pump up the bass dramatically. I'm sure you'll have good recommendations on tonal balance based on the type of music I listen to.

With regard isolation, I'm not too worried about high isolation. I just want the best sound and I've read that comes with a semi-open design. Again, the headphones will mostly be used at home, but sometimes on the subway as well.

The last thing that's important to me (which I realize shouldn't be much of a factor!) is design. I really like the 70s/80s style with the two wires going over the top, the self-adjusting leather strap, etc. I'm not sure if that's an overall design that other brands widely use, but the K240s are the perfect example of the aesthetic I'm looking for.

And lastly, what's the deal with vintage headphones? Are they worth looking into? Will they typically need to be rebuilt? Or should I only look at new?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to Audio Karma.

Most hip hop fans usually want a pretty full sounding bass.

The Audio Technica ATH-M40x is a good bet in that price range. It's a good overall phone and has a bit of a plump bottom end. Maybe not the aesthetic you are looking for but that's what I'd recommend.

I like the K240 Monitor and use one weekly along with a Q701, but I use the K240 Monitor mostly for classical. It would not be my first suggestion for a hip hop fan.

Superlux makes some headphones that look roughly like the AKGs. I think the 661 and 668 or 681. Something in that ballpark. They are very economical and get generally good reviews. There are different versions within each series with the last letter indicating if they have a neutral sound signature, a V shaped one or neutral with a big bottom end. Those might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the replies. Is there another AKG model that's better suited to the type of music I listen to? Foolishly, I just really dig the classic look.

I'm definitely considering the Audio Technica ATH M40X, though. The Superlux could be a good bet and I've seen the reviews on them...but I just thought I shouldn't get the knockoff AKG if I can get the real thing. But it sounds like the Superlux is better suited that the K240 for my usage.

AKG K 240 was my first can purchase in Jan 2013 ... fast forward to today I use them as my FiiO X1 Dap cans for taking walks. Not bad headphones at all until you try better.

Depending on your budget .. might look into Grado SR60e Headphones ... I own the Grado Prestige Series SR125e and really like them ... sounds great, not the most comfortable cans in the world
after an hour + of listening.

Just a warning: Headphones choices are hard without a way to demo them. What you like may be worse sounding headphone in the world to someone else. It is almost impossible to recommend a great sounding headphone to someone else because of this problem.

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but I was in the same situation about 3 years ago. My first pair of headphones was a pair of AKG K240. I have went though headphones very rapidly since then. I would almost advise you to get 1 pair of open back and 1 pair of closed back. Pop / hip hop / 80's just doesn't sound right on most open back headphones. The easy answer is a pair of Grado SR 60 or 80's. But open back design in the under $100 range is competitive as you could easily live with Pioneer SE-A1000, AKG K240, Samson Sr850, Audio Technica ATH AD700x, Sennheiser HD558, Philips SHP 9500. All of these are good solid sounding headphones but you may find that the open back designs lacks power / dynamics and some low end compared to the closed back phones.
I would go as cheap as I could and also get a pair of quality closed back headphones like the Sony MDR-V6 or Sennheiser HD 280.
** My choice would be the Grado Sr 60 and a pair of used / refurbished pair of Sony MDR -V6. If your only wanting one set of phones, I think that Condorsat is right about the Grado SR60e / SR80e.

**If you don't mind the used market, your budget is very close to picking up a pair of 32 / 250 ohm versions of the open back design Beyerdynamic DT880. (the 600 ohm version will require a headphone amp) The Grado SR125 also comes into play in that price range. Both the SR125 and the DT880 are great phones!
With that being said: You really need to find a headphone dealer or a purchase with a return policy. Good luck!

I have the Sennheiser HD-280s, running them thru a Schiit Vali headphone-amp, and I think they're decent cans for a reasonable price. That is, IF you don't need the extra bass. They're studio monitors, so very neutral, with good tonal balance. If it's there, you'll hear it, they add nothing. Outside noise attenuation is exceptional, about 32db, if I remember correctly. They are comfortable, tho a little too heavy to be considered portable, in my opinion. And they are rebuildable. My only complaint would be the coiled cord, much heavier than the straight cords found on more home-audio oriented 'phones.

Opinions on headphones are just that, opinions. Get the ones that sound best to you.

don't get open headphone for use even sometimes on a bus or train...

a. it will suck.. noise will leak in and you'll go deaf trying to drown it out

b. it is rude... if I am on the train and someone has headphones leaking tons of sound out... I want to kill them.. I don't but I want to.. and pretty much everyone else does as well.

so either get closed phones or get the open ones for home and some IEM's or closed phones for the mobile use.

The ATH-M40X (or bumping up the budget for the M50X) is the option I like ... these are very robust headphones that fold and rotate making them pretty convenient for mobile use.. I have had a pair of M50's (pre X) for 5~ years and they have been on the road / air planes and train..etc all over the world and they still are rocking (i modded my M50's for removable cable .. the M50X's has removable cable. )

You might also take a look at the Samson Z45
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZBFLZC/ref=twister_B01E0Z7JVI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I own the k240 and k240 studio, along with many other $100 and under headphones. The k240 are fairly inefficient, and don't really sound right without a decent amp, even then they're still bass shy. My favorite are the fostex t50rp, which you can find on sale for under $100 from time to time, but they're usually a bit over. The t50rp are also really inefficient, and a bit bass shy. Without an amp, my pick would be philips shp9500. I also own the audio technica m50, m40x, and ath-ad700x.

I'm having a little trouble distinguishing between closed vs. semi-open designs. Is there an obvious tell that I'm totally missing?

It's sounding like the Audio Technica M40X / M50X may be the best bet for my first pair of decent headphones.

Grado SR60 or SR80 will do the job and fit your budget--search those models here and elsewhere.

A "closed" design with have a full enclosure with the only outlet for sound being the one facing your ear. A "semi-closed" design with have some kind of port of vent on the outside of the can, so music escapes from there, and external noises can also enter from there--messes with your listening, and can offend others around you in close proximity.

Grado SR60 or SR80 will do the job and fit your budget--search those models here and elsewhere.

A "closed" design with have a full enclosure with the only outlet for sound being the one facing your ear. A "semi-closed" design with have some kind of port of vent on the outside of the can, so music escapes from there, and external noises can also enter from there--messes with your listening, and can offend others around you in close proximity.

Thanks a lot. I actually really like the look of the Grado headphones. I was doing some research on the Grado SR80e vs. ATH-M50x vs. Sony MDR-V6 and for the type of music I listen to, as well as the possibility that I may use them on the train, in the office, etc. leads me to believe the M50x is my best bet. I saw a pretty helpful article on lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/headphone-showdown-grado-sr80e-vs-audio-technica-ath-m-1744161005

Would you agree with the points in that article?

Thanks a lot. I actually really like the look of the Grado headphones. I was doing some research on the Grado SR80e vs. ATH-M50x vs. Sony MDR-V6 and for the type of music I listen to, as well as the possibility that I may use them on the train, in the office, etc. leads me to believe the M50x is my best bet. I saw a pretty helpful article on lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/headphone-showdown-grado-sr80e-vs-audio-technica-ath-m-1744161005

Would you agree with the points in that article?

I would generally agree with all of the points in the article. As for "bang for the buck"--I'll side with the Grado's--not to discount the competency of the others--but if used at home, the Grado's will eat the others alive IMO--but if I am doing sound checks for a band or DJ'ing a wedding or event, I have some big old clunky Sony's from the '70's that totally isolate you from external sound--good/bad--depending on what you need--and you could beat them with a hammer and probably not hurt them.

K52...!! Maybe the set I got was a real anomaly but the only phones I've heard sound better at this point are the venerable Grado GS1000.

I love the look of the AKG K52. I'm a big fan of the AKG style across the board. And I know the K240s are classic, super popular, etc. What I don't know is much about the rest of their product line. How can I get an idea of the soundstage, sound quality, etc. of AKG across their product line, i.e. K240, K52, K72, K92, K121? Are any of the AKG models better suited to the amount of hip hop I listen to?

I realize I'm all over the place and have a strong preference for the "style" of the AKG, which is foolish. I'm still very much considering the M40x / M50x. I may end up buying those and also picking up either AKG or Grado's for home.

Edit: typos

I love the look of the AKG K52. I'm a big fan of the AKG style across the board. And I know the K240s are classic, super popular, etc. What I don't know is much about the rest of their product line. How can I get an idea of the soundstage, sound quality, etc. of AKG across their product line, i.e. K240, K52, K72, K92, K121? Are any of the AKG models better suited to the amount of hip hop I listen to?

I realize I'm all over the place and have a strong preference for the "style" of the AKG, which is foolish. I'm still very much considering the M40x / M50x. I may end up buying those and also picking up either AKG or Grado's for home.

Edit: typos

I've owned (in the past): AKG K44, K66, K161 (silver sextett), K240 (1st gen), K300, and K701

IMO the new K52 just slaughters all of them. The soundstage is more like a really good open-air set of cans. Bass extension with a good amp is honestly the best I've heard (ATH-M50X is close but still a bit overhyped). I'm listening to everything from pop to edm to good film scores and seriously it's been years since I just sat down and listened to music like this. I can't imagine a genre where these wouldn't shine.

There's only a handful of times I can count when I heard reproduced music convey such an eerie sense of "realness" that I genuinely temporarily thought the sound was not actually coming from the speakers/headphone but from the environment itself.

1.) Pair of KLH 6 powered by a vector research receiver during a scene in a movie with a thunderstrike. The combination between how it must have been recorded and the phase accuracy of the reproduction was so striking my jaw dropped - the sound was legitimately emanating from 3 feet behind my ear. I must have replayed the scene 30 times in a row because it was so ... uncanny.

2) Grado GS1000 powered by an Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL Mark III. Hi-fi shop owner started playback on a disc while I was wearing the headphones and I immediately thought "well, that's silly he switched the playback path to the speakers over there". I started looking for a switch to redirect the sound output back to the headphones when it suddenly dawned on me... the headphones were playing the whole time. The sense of space was so otherworldly I was convinced that the symphony was actually playing back from the speakers 5 feet in front of me. I was dumbfounded the entire listening session after that.

3) AKG K52 powered by my new Keces HA-171. This is much more brief a moment of that type of realism... but a low-level horn in a film score track seemed to come directly from outside my window. I got a bit of a chill. My latest setup comes very very close to creating a lot of those Grado GS1000-esque moments... partially why I've been so stupidly impressed by the K52s.

Last edited:
]Thanks a lot. I actually really like the look of the Grado headphones. I was doing some research on the Grado SR80e vs. ATH-M50x vs. Sony MDR-V6 and for the type of music I listen to, as well as the possibility that I may use them on the train, in the office, etc. leads me to believe the M50x is my best bet. I saw a pretty helpful article on lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/headphone-showdown-grado-sr80e-vs-audio-technica-ath-m-1744161005

Would you agree with the points in that article?[/QUOTE]

I've owned every pair in that article, and I don't agree with it. The grados are by far the cheapest build out of those, very flimsy feeling, while the other two have taken years of abuse. I've lived in Brooklyn, NY, and really wanted to like the Grados. But the audio technica ath-ad700x did everything they did well, while being more comfortable, and the highs didn't fatigue on long listening sessions like the grados did. Between the sony 7506 and the m50, I preferred the sony, they seem less v-shaped than the m50. My pair gave up the ghost after like 10 years, and I never replaced them.

The 52s are a great value, esp if you got them during Guitar Center's $29 sale but they are pretty different from the 240 series. The 240 Studios (current production) are very refined for the price. Better at revealing textures in things like stringed instruments, esp with smaller scale classical music. They are quite open sounding and the soundstage sounds like it's quite a bit larger than most people are used to with headphones. They definitely lack on the bottom end.

Truthfully, the 240s are an absolutely incredible value...IF you listen to the types of recordings and music that display their strengths. I use a pair of Q701s as my main pair of headphones for most jazz and classical music but for smaller scale stuff, particularly solo violin stuff and violin sonatas, I prefer the K240s over anything else.

The 52s sound much more closed in. They ARE closed headphones and there aren't many closed headphones that have a big soundstage in the budget range. The 52s are great, quite comfortable and very lightweight. In my opinion, they are smoother sounding overall than the Sony 7506s/V6s and ATH-M40/M50s and they aren't as V-shaped (as in boosted bass, boosted treble, recessed highs) as the Audio Technicas or as midrange peaky as the 7506s, but they are definitely not as high resolution as the 240s. They don't sound bad at all but they lack the resolution of the K240s, Q701s, Philips 9500s, Sennheiser 598s etc..

For modern rock, classic rock, alternative, non-acoustic jazz, R&B I'd take the 52s over the 240s, but for R&B and anything where bass plays a very active role, I'd take the ATH-M40s or M50s over the 52s. For classical music, mostly acoustic jazz and sparsely recorded female vocals I'd get the K240s. For rap and R&B, I'd get the ATH-M40s or M50s (I'd probably actually get the M40s). If you never compare them to anything else, I'd expect most people will be very happy with the 52s.

Not sure exactly how the 92s compare to the 52s as I've never heard them but I'd at least search some reviews as that looks like a good price. When I got the 52s for $30, I think the 92s were $100. Now they are about the same price.

Another one to consider is the AKG 553. They are closed but are designed to have a bigger soundstage. One of the larger ones available in a closed design. The Massdrop version is down around $120 when available. There's a local guy with a pair for $75 used. They are usually closer to $180 new. They aren't quite as resolving as the K240s or the Q701s, but they have a nice bump of bottom end. They have verh smooth and extended highs. I don't own them, but I've listened to them at length. They don't have quite the classic look of the 240s but I think they are a good looking phone. They are also easier to drive than the 240s or Q701s which sound very decent with a phone or MP3 player, but truthfully need an amp to sound their best. The 553s sound VERY good driven with a phone or digital Sony Walkman. They feel like a very robust design. Not super lightweight though.

I'm not a fan of the lower end Grados meaning the 60s and 80s. Not that they sound bad, but they are pretty far from neutral and their design doesn't seem that robust. They seem like a hobbiest built them out of whatever they could find in the garage. I'm glad an American company is trying to keep things made in America and they have great service by most counts, I'm just not a fan in the sub $200 range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom