New AT 92ECD vs old AT TR485U

dander

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ok,

So I picked up a Technics SL-D20 at a garage sale with the old AT TR485U installed. I played a few records with it and it sounds pretty good, I did clean the stylus first. However, I have no idea of the amount of hours, I did purchase it from the original owner, who I assume did nothing other than use it until she stored it some 15 to 20 years ago. So I put a new AT 92ECD on it.......and it stinks. I hate the sound. It has less bass, cymbals and the like seem "tinny" compared to the original cart. Is there something wrong here? Cart defective or is it just me? If it's not me, is there a stylus I could put on the original cart that would be a close match to the stock sound? The TR485U just sounds more balanced and better in every way to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Ok,

So I picked up a Technics SL-D20 at a garage sale with the old AT TR485U installed. I played a few records with it and it sounds pretty good, I did clean the stylus first. However, I have no idea of the amount of hours, I did purchase it from the original owner, who I assume did nothing other than use it until she stored it some 15 to 20 years ago. So I put a new AT 92ECD on it.......and it stinks. I hate the sound. It has less bass, cymbals and the like seem "tinny" compared to the original cart. Is there something wrong here? Cart defective or is it just me? If it's not me, is there a stylus I could put on the original cart that would be a close match to the stock sound? The TR485U just sounds more balanced and better in every way to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

A replacement stylus for the Audio Technica AT TR485U cartridge may bring back the original sound that you like. :idea:

Ok,

Dave

Hey Dave,

The original cartridge is better. Look for an ATN120E or even the ATN440ML stylus for the original. Or as Balifly said, you may be able to find an original stylus. That cartridge is part of the AT102EP family. Look for an ATN122EP or ATN132EP.

Thank you both! I'm glad it wasn't me......hate to think my ears were that bad at 50! I gotta say the AT 92 isn't bad......for $25 or so. If I had no basis for comparison I would have been happy.

Back
Top Bottom