How to remove hardened Lansaloy from JBL LE8 cone?

absolve2525

I was able to remove the lansaloy from the woofer frame, but I'm having trouble getting it off the the cone itself. It's glued underneath the lip. Heat, alcohol, and acetone haven't worked. I read that MEK might work at dissolving the lansaloy? Usually foams are easy to get off, but this had been a pain! I ordered new foams from Rick Cobb. An alternative would be to the glue the new foams on top of the cone vs underneath. Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20160830_145004.jpg
    20160830_145004.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the link. I did read that thread. I didn't have much luck cutting the hard lansaloy from the cone without damaging the paper. I'll get some MEK and maybe that will work.

I just kneaded and picked at it for a few hours with my fingers, while I watched TV.

Er, the surround, I mean.

Haha! Thanks for the suggestion. If I pick at it, the paper will tear off. I'm going to try MEK tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I may end up having to glue the surrounds to the front.

Haha! Thanks for the suggestion. If I pick at it, the paper will tear off. I'm going to try MEK tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I may end up having to glue the surrounds to the front.

I'm in this very spot on a set of LE8's. Did you ever find a good solution for cleaning the back of the cone?

If the Lansaloy on the underside of the cone lip is clean and secure, I'd leave it be and glue up the new surround over it(and under the cone lip).

Lansalloy was the surrounds that were helped by the use of brake fluid, if I remember correctly. Too late now I guess. :dunno:

If chemicals won't work,perhaps using a dremel tool with the sandpaper will work. Just keep a steady hand.

I ended up gluing my surrounds to the front. It looked much better, covering the outer stains from attempting the brake fluid fix years ago. I was going to the do them from the rear, but the leftover lansaloy ring would just not come off. I didn't want to risk damaging the cone, so I left it after cutting out as much as I could. The spider is even, even with the surrounds glued on the front. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom