Sansui Eight or AU 7700?

Nucities

I understand one is a receiver and one is an integrated amp but was curious if there was some consensus on the board about which was better sounding or better in some other way other than looks. If you have or have heard both which do you prefer?

The Eight would be an excellent addition to your mid-power Sony collection. It is the best made Sansui receiver and showed what a little effort could do. The late production version with speaker relay is the one to get. As far as which to get, they are in different classes of audio so tough to choose...unless you have to. Get both.

Ive been eyeing the Sansui Eight for a while, I previously had an 881 and really like the Sansui stuff I've heard. I have heard an Eight but have never seen or heard the AU 7700 in person. This unit would likely be for the living room and I wouldn't normally use a tuner/radio in that room. I have an opportunity to pick up the AU 7700 at a very good price where the Eights tend to go for $$$....if I pull the trigger in the AU 7700 it will least postpone any purchase of the Eight....maybe that's OK?

Grab the AU-7700. I think it's one of there best looking series and has very usable tone controls.

If it's Sansui, buy it, until the models hit the 1980s. Even then the AU series were and are very desirable, no matter what year they were built. Sansui started to put out products in the eighties that were not up to their previous standards. I have never seen any AU model, other than the AU-D9 I grabbed at the flea market for next to nothing. It is the only blackface I have ever purchased that wasn't a huge disappointment.

If you can, buy both of them. You will not be sorry.

I have the au-7700's little brother, the au-6600 and it sounds great! Have not heard the 7700 but i imagine its more powereful than that of the 6600. Have not heard an eight but i know they are supposed to sound really nice.
I love the 6600 but they are not being spoke of a lot on here. Looks are sexy and it is easy to repair and get at the insides. Great design and sounds absolutely lovely to me!

If you plan to work on these at some point, you might consider the 7700, because the Eight is a severe challenge to get into to work on. The Eight and the Eight Deluxe are my all time favorite Sansuis in my possession, but I would not ever consider tearing into either; a job best left to professionals. If you have the funds, and it doesn't matter, I would get a Eight or a Deluxe and send it out to one of the AK gurus and have it rehabbed. Good luck with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom