Pioneer SX-D7000

tawesgray

New to the forum. I've got a Pioneer SX-D7000. The volume/balance control knob seems to be touchy, as the right channel sometimes goes in and out. Tapping on it lightly typically brings it back, or simply adjusting the volume a little bit. Any suggestions for what the fix might be? Thanks ahead of time!

Welcome - it sounds like a dirty pot. Search "An idiot's guide to deoxit revisited" for a crash course on cleaning pots, switches and outputs.

Just a comment, the SX-D7000 is a receiver, not a tuner. You might get a better response if you put this in the Pioneer forum. There are a lot of members that hang in the Pioneer forum exclusively. Maybe a moderator might move this over for you.

Greetings: Your volume/balance pot needs dexoit. There's a small hole on the knob to place a small hex wrench to remove it. Behind it is a square holder with two small holes ( one for the balance and the other for the volume control) Spray and turn a few times. Search this forum, There's a step by step guide to the procedure with pictures. Good luck!

Here you go:
The beautiful SX-D7000 that I recently posted about had a scratchy volume pot that seemed to be getting worse and so today I decided to do something about it. It always seems to be an adventure cleaning pots with each different unit as I am finding out and the D7000 looked to be a bit of a challenge as the volume pot is soldered onto a board and is encased in a plastic shell with a couple of small openings I assumed would be my access holes. After studying the problem at hand I decided to give it a try. The pics posted outline what I had to do to get rid of the annoying "scratchy" volume.

After I finished everything was reassembled in reverse order. I am quite happy with the results.

It seemed to me that the first orifice was for the Balance pot and the one further back is for the volume. The reason I believe this is because when I worked the first opening with Deoxit no apparent improvements were happening with the scratchy volume. But when I moved and worked the second opening I started to notice a marked improvement. You tech guys can correct me if I am wrong about this because I am no expert here when it comes to this stuff. At any rate, no more scratchy volume.

Attached Files:

Attachments

• SX-D7000 Volume Pot 2.jpg
    SX-D7000 Volume Pot 2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 76
  • SX-D7000 Volume Pot 13 copy.jpg
    SX-D7000 Volume Pot 13 copy.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 74
  • SX-D7000 Volume Pot 8.jpg
    SX-D7000 Volume Pot 8.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 73
Nice post kydog. This is a great reference piece for all of us SX-D7000 owners. Mine has not yet begun the scratchiness, but now I know where to put the cleaner when it does start.

Nice post kydog. This is a great reference piece for all of us SX-D7000 owners. Mine has not yet begun the scratchiness, but now I know where to put the cleaner when it does start.
Thanks! I borrowed this from a member here, It was posted awhile back so I'm bringing it back to the forefront. I can't recall the size of the hex wrench to remove the knob? Someone will chime in with that info I'm sure. It's a great receiver & a daily driver in one of my systems.

Last edited:
The SX-D7000 is a very nice receiver indeed! Mine is in use in one of my vintage setups connected to a set of Dynaudio Contour tower speakers. It has a very nice soundstage presentation and a nice black background. It also has one of the best tuners I have ever used - not that there is a lot of quality music being broadcast in my area.

1.5mm hex wrench. Be very careful doing the initial removal because, if you strip it, you are in for a real Pita. If it gives you even the trace of a struggle, stop and turn the knob with the hole facing up and apply 1 drop of 3in1 or penetrating oil and let it sit over night before you try again.

The SX-D7000 is a very nice receiver indeed! Mine is in use in one of my vintage setups connected to a set of Dynaudio Contour tower speakers. It has a very nice soundstage presentation and a nice black background. It also has one of the best tuners I have ever used - not that there is a lot of quality music being broadcast in my area.

"Black background " Is a very good description ! It never gets in the way of the music. Heil AMT 1's and they match up well

1.5mm hex wrench. Be very careful doing the initial removal because, if you strip it, you are in for a real Pita. If it gives you even the trace of a struggle, stop and turn the knob with the hole facing up and apply 1 drop of 3in1 or penetrating oil and let it sit over night before you try again.
Thanks for the follow up !

I love my SX D7000. It makes a lot of speakers I didn't care much for, sing. My Harman Kardon HK40 4 ohm speakers always sounded kind of blah with my 40 watt Sansui 771. I tried them with a 100 watt Realistic amp and Carver C4000 preamp and they sounded ok but the amp couldn't handle the 4 ohm load. The big Pioneer makes them sing like they never have and no problem at all with 4 ohms.

I love my SX D7000. It makes a lot of speakers I didn't care much for, sing. My Harman Kardon HK40 4 ohm speakers always sounded kind of blah with my 40 watt Sansui 771. I tried them with a 100 watt Realistic amp and Carver C4000 preamp and they sounded ok but the amp couldn't handle the 4 ohm load. The big Pioneer makes them sing like they never have and no problem at all with 4 ohms.

Couldn't agree more about the 4ohm loads. Made a huge difference!

Thanks for that info about the 1.5mm hex wrench. I just purchased my SX-D7000 and I was shocked to see how the previous owner cared for it. I saw some pictures posted on this site that may have been far worst. After using two cans of air and cleaning with a paint brush, I wanted to replace the FM function light and theTreble control light. But first I had to take the front of the receiver off. I tried several wrenches with no luck. Finally I check this forum and found the correct size. Thanks again.

I replaced the FM function bulb with a led and the tone control with another bulb. To me this is a fine looking receiver. Hey, and it sounds great. I just replaced the woofers in an old pair of Marantz SP1250's and hooked them up to the SX-D7000 and I was amazed at the sound. Never heard them sound so good. I've used other receivers, Kenwoods, Carvers, etc. and nothing made these speakers sound the way that the d7000 did. Thanks for all the wonderful information on this forum.

One question: this unit is now 38 years old(?), should I be thinking about replacing the filter caps?

JazzyMike

I wouldn’t replace the filter caps unless you see signs of leakage.
As much as I have recapped most of my receivers (including my SX-D7000) I think the primary benefit is as preventative maintenance.
Play it, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom