Pandora Premium--the rebirth of rdio!

Received invite for 60 day trial today. Signed up and listened briefly. Will have more time tomorrow to check out.

I was very much hoping that their license would extend to OD streaming as well.

IS there a legitimate streaming site wherein to find ECM and Cuneiform music?
Not that I'm aware of. ECM & Cuneiform (among select others) have been and presently are stanch holdouts on streaming their catalog on-demand.

Received invite for 60 day trial today. Signed up and listened briefly. Will have more time tomorrow to check out.
I've been listening for a couple hours now while working from home (so not receiving 100% attention from me). Casting to CCA from iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6S and 4S, and Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle keeps getting out of sync with the CCA (not an unexpected symptom) but it's more frequent than typical - although I rarely use the Kindle for casting.

Sound quality is set to High and to these ears sounds pretty good. Enjoying the 'no ads' greatly. Oddly, on the iPad, even though the Pandora app was updated a few days ago, under Settings>Subscription it stated Pandora Plus trial, not Premium. Signing out/in didn't change that. Once I deleted the app and reinstalled it now shows Premium.

I've enjoyed Pandora for years despite the adds - my preamp has a remote so I mute them, just like watching TV - so this new offering is exciting.

Not that I'm aware of. ECM & Cuneiform (among select others) have been and presently are stanch holdouts on streaming their catalog on-demand.
Just my luck. 30+ million tracks available, and my favorites aren't among them. :D

The "bonus" here, if you will, means that they can integrate/play songs in their station mode (non-downloadable, non-repeatable on-demand) that others do not have permission/rights to play. For example, the rights holder of Fleetwood Mac's Mystery to Me album have held out and have not licenced this album to be streamed on-demand, to any service that I know of (Spotify, Google Play, Amazon) Apple Music? <--probably not. Pandora and Pandora Premium on the other hand can & do play tracks from this album--on Station playlists. So, one could/can say that PP actually offers a vastly larger library that the others. ;)
Does this service have the ability to match your local music? Also, Rdio had an "artist only" mode. Does this have that option?

It is interesting that Pandora has been able to keep music in the radio side of things to be able to continue playing artists that aren't on the paid streaming services. I remember when Apple Music and Apple Radio (or whatever they called the commercial free radio that came along with Match) merged. I could play The Beatles station on my AppleTV3 (that had Apple Radio), but I could no longer play Beatles radio in Apple Music. I thought it was a record company restriction.

Does this service have the ability to match your local music?
No.
Also, Rdio had an "artist only" mode. Does this have that option?
Not really. So far (other than a "clean" GUI with no "in yo face" promo tripe) it lacks some of rdio's standout features like that. Right now the closet thing to "artist only" mode is selecting the artist's top songs. :( Hopefully when they release the continue play that feature will come back.
t is interesting that Pandora has been able to keep music in the radio side of things to be able to continue playing artists that aren't on the paid streaming services. I remember when Apple Music and Apple Radio (or whatever they called the commercial free radio that came along with Match) merged. I could play The Beatles station on my AppleTV3 (that had Apple Radio), but I could no longer play Beatles radio in Apple Music. I thought it was a record company restriction.
Basically it's two three different licensing schemes. The blanket compulsory license that Pandora operate(s) under allows them to play anything...no permission or contract required. Much the same as terrestrial radio employs.

The "Apple Radio" deal was a negotiated side deal they cut with the labels that intertwined with user "matched" uploads. Ala the $25 "payback". It could play "unlicensed" tracks with restriction. As long as those tracks were in the users matched catalog they could intersperse them non-interactively as a "radio" station. Apparently (according to your report) Apple discontinued that "feature". No clue as to why they would have done so. A coding thing?

No.

Not really. So far (other than a "clean" GUI with no "in yo face" promo tripe) it lacks some of rdio's standout features like that. Right now the closet thing to "artist only" mode is selecting the artist's top songs. :( Hopefully when they release the continue play that feature will come back.

Basically it's two three different licensing schemes. The blanket compulsory license that Pandora operate(s) under allows them to play anything...no permission or contract required. Much the same as terrestrial radio employs.

The "Apple Radio" deal was a negotiated side deal they cut with the labels that intertwined with user "matched" uploads. Ala the $25 "payback". It could play "unlicensed" tracks with restriction. As long as those tracks were in the users matched catalog they could intersperse them non-interactively as a "radio" station. Apparently (according to your report) Apple discontinued that "feature". No clue as to why they would have done so. A coding thing?
Thanks for the info. That radio slider was my favorite feature on both Mog and Rdio. I am surprised that both Beats and Pandora decided to kill it (I guess it may just be asleep on Pandora for them to awaken later).

It is definitely strange that Apple went away from that feature. It would be nice to listen to artists like Bob Seger without pulling up his album in my library. Luckily, the list of streaming hold outs gets shorter all the time, so it isn't as much of a headache these days.

Hmmmm. Works great on my Galaxy S5. On the iPad and Tab S2, it shows the Pandora Premium logo, but no My Music. Just the same old Create Station UI. No way to search for albums. On the tablets, under settings/subscription, it says "You're currently using a Pandora Plus free trial". All three devices are on the latest 8.3 app release. Guess I'll have to find their forum or figure out how to open a trouble ticket.

Hmmmm. Works great on my Galaxy S5. On the iPad and Tab S2, it shows the Pandora Premium logo, but no My Music. Just the same old Create Station UI. No way to search for albums. On the tablets, under settings/subscription, it says "You're currently using a Pandora Plus free trial". All three devices are on the latest 8.3 app release. Guess I'll have to find their forum or figure out how to open a trouble ticket.
Delete and reinstall the app. :thumbsup:

I have same experience on iPad Mini 2. Neither step resolves.

View attachment 897954
There is definitely an authentication glitch with their backend/app for some users/accounts. A delete/reinstall/upgrade fixed this foobar on my iPad. My Galaxy Tab 4 however is stuck with Plus. All is well on my iPhone 6.

Here's something to try. From a PC go to your Pandora account and see if there is an 'Upgrade' option for your subscription. Initially, despite my account being noted as Premium, there was an 'Upgrade' link in subscription settings. Clicking this appeared to "slap" things into order. :crazy:

Clearly they have some issues to work out. :whip:

There is definitely an authentication glitch with their backend/app for some users/accounts. A delete/reinstall/upgrade fixed this foobar on my iPad. My Galaxy Tab 4 however is stuck with Plus. All is well on my iPhone 6.

Here's something to try. From a PC go to your Pandora account and see if there is an 'Upgrade' option for your subscription. Initially, despite my account being noted as Premium, there was an 'Upgrade' link in subscription settings. Clicking this appeared to "slap" things into order. :crazy:

Clearly they have some issues to work out. :whip:

Tried that. No "Upgrade" link:

Pandora Web.JPG

When I click "Switch plans" it only changes to "$9.99/month".

Waiting for the tech folks to respond. Meanwhile enjoying it from my 4S.

Last edited:
Question. Was your Galaxy S5 the first device you setup?
Yep.

Also noticed that the swell car integration doesn't work if I have an album in the queue. It plays for a second, then throws an error and dumps out of Pandora on the car's nice 7" touchscreen. If I switch to radio stations in the Pandora app on the phone, everything returns to hunky dory. A bit bummed.

Back
Top Bottom