Terrestrial FM Jazz "LIVE JAZZ SHOW" Listing

BillyBatts

ALOHA!
Aloha!

A few of us have been chatting about our favorite Live FM Jazz "Shows" and where to find them, so it was decided that we'd keep a list of them. This is NOT simply a generic list of stations that broadcast Jazz, but a list of particular LIVE JAZZ SHOWS that a station is producing for broadcast.

These are shows that have a LIVE On-Air Personality that is choosing what to play and conversing with the audience - i.e., actually talking about the music he/she is playing. If the show is syndicated, pre-recorded, or canned from a network source, I have made note of that. There are some excellent "live" shows that are pre-recorded, so those are good to list as well.

If you currently listen to a live Jazz show via terrestiral radio, please feel free to list it. If you just want to give kudos to a Jazz station that you listen to, that's fine as well. All comments are welcome as long as they pertain to a station that is playing Jazz.

Here are the shows I currently listen to with links to the websites and day/time that the show airs including notes on each show;

--------------------------------------------------------------------

SATURDAY

All times Eastern;

8:00 AM - Weekends with Alan Rock on WUCF - www.wucf.org (note 1)

12:00 PM - Jazz on the Beach with Jack Simpson - www.wucf.org (note 2)

4:00 PM - Gifts and Messages with Dr. Jazz - www.whyr.org (also available on Mixcloud) (note 3)

SUNDAY
All times Eastern;

2:00 PM - Jazz Night in America with Christian McBride on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 4)

3:00 PM - Jazz Sunday with Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 5)
(This show runs 3 hours and OVERLAPS CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show by 1 hour)

5:00 PM - Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (Note 6)
(This show runs 5 hours and OVERLAPS WLRN's Night Train Jazz Show by 2 hours)

8:00 PM - Night Train Jazz with Uncle Ted Grossman on WLRN - www.wlrn.org (Note 7)

MONDAY
All times Eastern

Noon - 3 PM - Hot Club On The Air with Matt Fat Cat Rivera on WKCR - www.wkcr.org
Matt Rivera hosts an awesome 3 hour 78 RPM classic Jazz show from his private shellac collection of vintage 78 albums. If you like the beginnings of Jazz through the early 50s when 78 RPM finally was retired, then this show is for you. You can view and listen to the archive HERE.

TUESDAY
All times Eastern

10:00 PM - Radio Deluxe with John Pizzarelli on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (also available on Mixcloud) (Note 8)
This is a syndicated show and can be found on other Jazz stations as well at differnt times

WEDNESDAY
All times Eastern

9:00 PM - Night Lights with David Brent Johnson (Note 9) www.wdcb.org
This is a syndicated show that can be found on other Jazz stations as well as directly ON LINE via two sources. Indiana Public Radio and PRX Website

MONDAY - SATURDAY
All times Eastern

9:00 PM - Jazz Oasis (Various Hosts) https://kcsm.org/jazzprograms/jazzoasis.php (Note 10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes;

For all of these shows, you can stream directly from the websites or from 3rd party applications like Tunein. Some stations also stream via Apple Radio and are uploaded for playback to Mixcloud.com. WUCF streams in very high quality (I believe 256kbps) and you will notice this. The others stream between 64kpbs and 128kbps.

1.) Alan Rock is a hoot, I'm guessing his age at 75 plus years. He's very Jazz savvy. He runs a "fun" show. He plays Jazz, tells corny jokes, and he asks trivia questions where you call in to answer them, He loves when you call him. I've called him from Hawaii a few times and he likes it when "streaming listeners" call in from thousands of miles away, and he mentions that you called on the air. This is a really fun Jazz show. Yes, he plays great Jazz too.

2.) Jack Simpson sounds like he is as old as dirt. If I had to guess, I'd say 80 years old plus. But the man knows GREAT Jazz and knows just about all the background about every album and cut he plays. I truly enjoy his show. As an added bonus, Jack's shows are now all archived since Jack has retired, and this is a good thing. Not only can you hear his shows from up to 10 years ago, but Jack also encapsulated the awesome PBS Jazz show "Jazz Revisited" with Hazen Shumacher within the last 1/2 hour of his show. "Jazz Revisited" focused on the first three decades of of early recorded American Jazz from 1917 - 1947. This show was purchased by a German company and is in copyright lockdown. So having this show available in any form is amazing. Thanks to Jack's show, you can still listen to various "Jazz Revisited" shows as well, so this is a double-headder treat.

3.) Poppachubby turned me on to this show last year. Dr. Jazz runs an interesting 2 hours show from Baton Rouge, LA, but plays a broad spectrum of Jazz. His show is uploaded to Mixcloud so you can listen any time via www.mixcloud.com to any of his shows as they are all there. Hundreds of hours.

4.) Jazz Night in America is like a Jazz Documentary show. Each show concentrates on a specific artist or theme. Christian McBride is the "host" and it is a very worthwhile 1 hour show to learn about Jazz "artist-by-artist". This is an NPR Syndicated show. You can catch it on various NPR stations nationwide at various times or via the website http://www.npr.org/series/347139849/jazz-night-in-america

5.) Jazz Sunday is without a doubt my favorite Live Jazz show. I've been listening for well over a decade. I discoverd the show by accident one day steraming around looking for "LIVE" Jazz feature shows. Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones co-host the show and the variety is vast. They are highly knowledgable (guessing both are in their mid to late 50's) and play supreme Jazz to my taste. They are very personalble. Jack responds to emails and Facebook immeiately and you can call them and chat. I record this show weekly as it overlaps "Big Band Jazz' at CJRT by 1 hour.

6.) The Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT is the longest running Jazz show with the same host in history. Glen started broadcasting in 1977. He's a great guy and he and I have become email pen-pals. He dedicated one of his shows to me, playing a lot of Woody Herman. Long story on that for another time. I love Big Band and never miss his show. I record his show as well as it is overlapped by WCBE's Jazz Sunday and it overlaps WLRN's Night Train Jazz.

7.) Uncle Ted Grossman's "Night Train Jazz" is probably the most interesting of the bunch. It is similar to CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show, but takes diversions into Trios and Quartets where needed. Ted Grossman has a HUGE collection of old Jazz Vinyl from the 30's and 40's. He is a walking Jazz encyclopedia, and the show is amazing to listen to. Nobody knows more about 30's-40's era Jazz than Uncle Ted. Listen one evening and you'll get that fact quickly. He's been collecting that era's vinyl since the late 60's.

8.) The most engrossing show for me used to be "Radio Deluxe" with John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey. John is Bucky Pizzarelli's son and Jessica is John's wife. The two do the show from their living room and chat about Jazz as much as they play it. It's very conversational and you feel like you are sitting on their couch and chatting Jazz with them. But you never know what you are going to hear. You can hear anything from Bing Crosby to Steely Dan. It used to be 90 percent Jazz for sure, but with a twist. At times it' was very elegant. Unfortunately lately the playlists have seemed to shift heavily to Broadway show tunes. Jessica is a Broadway singer. This has brought the show down quite a few notches on my favorite list. However, the conversation between the two is fascinating. John and his father Bucky have played with most of the legends in Jazz, so he has amazing stories that he shares. You can catch this show on www.mixcloud.com any time you want. All of the shows are there. Hundreds of hours. As I noted above, this is a syndicated show, so you can also catch it from the syndication website or via other terrestrial radio stations at different days and times. www.radiodeluxe.com

9.) This is an incredible show that escaped my attention until I stumbled upon it via WDCB. It has been airing since 2004 and you can listen to archives on the website https://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/ going back to the first broadcast in 2004. The host is incredibly knowledgable regarding classic era Jazz. The format is one Jazz artist or time period per show as the focus. It's 1/3 documentary and 2/3 listening to the music that supports the documentary discussion.

10.) A nightly Jazz show that is relaxing and captivating. Each night has a different host so the formats vary somewhat. My favorite is the Saturday evening show with Michael Burman. I'd classify this as "Evening Jazz" that is good for dining or relaxing or reading.

---------------

Stations mentioned above;

WCBE - Columbus (Not a full time Jazz Station)
WLRN - Miami (Not a full time Jazz Station)
CJRT - Toronto (Full time Jazz)
WUCF - Orlando (Full time Jazz)
WHYR - Baton Rouge (Not a full time Jazz Station)
WDCB - Chicago
KCSM - San Francisco
WKCR - New York

Honorable mentions for regular Jazz listening are;

KSDS - San Diego
WBGO - New York (technically New Jersey)
KNKX - Seattle (streaming found via jazz24.org)

Last edited:
Nice work, Billy!

I'll add three that air on a local station, CKUA. Go to http://www.ckua.com and click on the "Listen Live, On Air Now" button.

Saturday 2:00-5:00 PM EST - A Time For Jazz hosted by Codi Hutchinson
http://www.ckua.com/programs/a-time-for-jazz
I like this show because it pushes me to listen to more current stuff. Something I'm guilty of not doing enough.

Sunday 4:00-5:00 PM EST with a re-broadcast at 5:00-6:00 AM on Saturdays - The Old Disc Jockey hosted by John Warthington
http://www.ckua.com/programs/old-disc-jockey-the
I love this show. It's all big band and swing stuff, and the host is a no bs guy when it comes to the details. Been hosting the show off and on since 1974.
Many shows are re-broadcasts from years past, but I don't care.

Sunday 5:00 PM EST - Voices In Jazz hosted by Dianne Donovan
http://www.ckua.com/programs/voices-in-jazz
I listen to this one the least of the three, but not because it isn't good. I'm just picky about jazz vocals, and need to be in the mood.

Again, I'll recommend 88.1 FM KJAZZ from Cal State University Long Beach here in the Southern California region. You can stream the programs from their site: www.jazzandblues.org. This station evolved from the old KKGO and KBCA commercial Jazz stations from the 60s and 70s; Jim Gosa and Chuck Niles were two of their most memorable DJs. Besides listening to the station at work I usually catch David Benoit's show in the mornings and Helen Borger's show during drive time in the afternoon. On Saturdays I try to catch Jose Rizo's Jazz on the Latin Side from 6-10pm and Gary Wagner's Nothin' but the Blues shows on Saturday's 2-6pm and Sunday's 2-7pm. Program times for the streaming service might be different in various parts of the country. OPG.

I can recommend "Radio Munson" on 89.1, www.wglt.org, from the campus on Illinois State University. Available on podcast but broadcast live(and streamed) on Thursdays from 7:00 - 9:00pm Central.
From their website "The eclectic mix of big band swing, vintage hot jazz and Las Vegas headliners on Radio Munson offers great music of a different era. Don plays Ellington and Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan and Django Reinhardt, Bob Scobey's Frisco Jazz Band and Stan Kenton. The conversation is lively and real musical history is in the air on Radio Munson."
He plays anything from 30's big band through current jazz favorites like Diana Krall. I learn something every Thursday evening listening to Don and his enthusiasm for this music.

Listening now.

WLRN Miami plays a Nightly Live Jazz Show called "Evenin' Jazz" with Tracy Fields.
Weeknights (Monday-Friday) from 9:30 PM - 1:00 AM Eastern.

Tracy is a great lady and if you send her an email, she will reply. Her mix of Jazz is broad-range. She does not talk about the music background as much as her counterpart Ted Grossman that hosts "Night Train" on the same station on Sunday evenings, but if you find yourself looking for a live Jazz show weeknights, Tracey's "Evenin' Jazz" may be just the ticket.

WLRN Evenin' Jazz

CJRT Toronto plays a nightly show called "Dinner Jazz" with John Devinish.
Weeknights (Monday-Friday) from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM Eastern.

For those of you looking for a nightly "relaxing" live Jazz show, you may wish to check this nightly show out. John is another great guy, responds quickly to emails, and plays elegant and relaxing "Dinner" Jazz. Great music for Dinner, and for relaxing in the Lazyboy afterward.

CJRT Dinner Jazz

Just saw this.Thx to all the posters. My favorite local jazz dj on our NPR station passed a few years back and the show has not been the same since. Its shorter and the mix of music is less attractive to me. I have been bouncing around looking for other sites since. Mostly been picking up WBGO, WRTI,back east and a few others on the West coast. This adds mightily. Now I need to find an "online clock radio" that can grab a Wi-Fi signal, play stereo but also have clock radio fx.

Staying on topic...
Jazz88.org aka KSDS 88.3FM in San Diego does host a live jazz broadcast once a month - the date varies so you have to visit the website for the schedule. But it is typically on a Tuesday at 8pm Pacific time.

http://jazz88.org/jazz-live/

They broadcast from the Seville Theater on the San Diego City College Campus in downtown San Diego. Tickets and parking are free to KSDS/Jazz88 members.

I've been several times - small theater with a fun atmosphere, and the music has always been great!

Keep them coming.... Any mid week shows?

There ARE mid week shows indeed. I have to get with a MOD and see if he can open the original posts to me. I would like to tweak them and want to post in the INDEXING area I reserved.

Look above about six posts earlier for "Evenin' Jazz" with Tracy Fields on WLRN. This is broadcast nightly (Eastern time). Good place to start.

Also see my "Radio Deluxe" listing in my Original Post for Tuesday evenings on CJRT Toronto, although this show is syndicated.

Last edited:
KANU 91.5 in Lawrence KS has Jazz 9 PM to 5 AM on Weekends On Weekdays they have Jazz on from 12 am to 5 am. This is the University of Kansas station. They can be streamed at KansasPublicRadio.org

There is sometimes afternoon Jazz programming, but mainly in is NPR stuff or Classical music.

KUWL Jazz Wyoming is a nice place to park your streaming dial if you want to listen to 24/7 syndicated broadcasts of "PUB JAZZ". Pub Jazz is a syndicated live Jazz show (live hosts) that is streamed ONLY to terrestrial Jazz radio STATIONS who in turn broadcast and stream the Pub Jazz show to their listeners.

Many stations across America (like WSQX Binghamton, NY) broadcast "Pub Jazz" intermittently, but KUWL Broadcasts it basically 24/7 with just a few breaks for news.

WHRB at Harvard 5am to 1pm Monday through Friday.
The Jazz Spectrum.

95.3 FM in Eastern Mass.
Or
https://www.whrb.org/

College radio. Variety of air staff.

And the wonderful programming at WGBH.

Eric in the Evening Fri, Sat,Sun 9pm - 12am
Playlists and Interviews here
https://www.wgbh.org/jazz/eric-in-the-evening

streaming Jazz 24/7 @ https://www.wgbh.org/music/jazz/jazz-24-7

Thanks. I am very familiar with WGBH, as most people would be that follow PBS and the WGBH Productions that air on public television. But I am not familiar with WHRB. I'll give it a listen.

Thanks. I am very familiar with WGBH, as most people would be that follow PBS and the WGBH Productions that air on public television. But I am not familiar with WHRB. I'll give it a listen.

The Radio side of WGBH is mostly an NPR outlet now, with some exceptions. Jazz programming being one.

WHRB, I hope you enjoy.

Friday, 2-4pm on WMBR at MIT, Coffeetime is good also. This is my favorite of the college stations in the Boston Market. https://wmbr.org/

Found this station out of Birmingham Al that is pretty good.
It is called Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame.
They have a show called Tuxedo Junction and pretty cool history behind it.
Thought I would share.
https://jazzhall.com/radio/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo_Junction
index.php

Back
Top Bottom