Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

I'm about to build the weirdest E-wave variation, probably ever.

We have a pair of cabinets here, that had a scoop-horn (half-W) with an 18", and two front-loaded 15". No room for a separate horn.

I'm going to convert a pair of Peavey Scorpion 15 (the early ones with the big vent hole in the magnet), to a COAX driver- using a Dayton DT250 horn driver and a clone of an EV constant-dispersion horn (only thing small enough to fit, that would go low enough). The throat of the horn WILL fit through the woofer pole vent (to allow the horn driver to mount to the back side), and clear the cone and voice coil, with the screw-on adapter that I've created- I've already test-fit it. Just waiting for the recone kits to get here.

Each cabinet will get a coax Scorpion 15, a second "helper" Scorpion 15, and an 18. E-wave crossover between the horn and the two 15", and an additional 60Hz crossover to the 18". The 15s are going to be wired in series (to reduce the midband level to something reasonable), and the 18" is 4 ohm.

This is called "make this $*&^#!% cabinet work with SOMETHING". :D

Regards,
Gordon.

After years of prcrastinating, I'm going to econowave my Advent 4002s! I've had them since the mid-80s, and they've literally moved with me across the US and back to PA over the years, so it's high time I got this project moving. The MDF has had some water damage which I discovered after I peeled off all the vinyl, but the cabinets are still nice and tight. So the non-econo part of this is to have a woodworker friend of mine help me put some cherry veneer on them. He works at a cabinet manufacturing shop, so he can get me the veneer at cost ! Here are my technical questions so far. Since these 4002s are narrower than the orignal large advents, I'd like to use smaller waveguides than the 6-1/2 x 12 ones that it seems many people used when they've done this. I have Eminence APT 150S guides, which require a 3-3/8 x 6-5/8 cutout, and have a 50x100 dispersal pattern. Can I still use the JBL D220 drivers with that size waveguide, or should I consider something else? How big a difference in the final sound will those smaller waveguides make? Also, would I need to change anything about the crossover design? If I remember from earlier postings on this topic, the woofers from the 4002s take the < 95 dB design. Thanks!

A hybrid. The best of three worlds .Open baffle, line array and E-wave.Those on top of a pair of H frames would be the total package. Thanks for posting the picture.

A hybrid. The best of three worlds .Open baffle, line array and E-wave.Those on top of a pair of H frames would be the total package. Thanks for posting the picture.

I ran them with the Alpha 15s in H frames for a while. Surprisingly, they didn't need much help down there.

Those are pretty cool. How they do on the low end?

The low end was great. Because the drivers were offset, there was not much cancellation of the low end. As I said above, I could run them without the subs without noticing much unless it was organ music. But Brian Bromberg on the stand up bass was a real sweet spot for them. My wife and I are both practicing artist and we where going to treat each panel like a canvas and do a painting without showing the other or coordinating. We never got around to it.

Well- I built the world's first pair of Peavey Scorpion 15" coax drivers today. :thumbsup:

The good news, is that the horn in front of the driver, seems to NOT have significantly upset the upper end response of the Scorpion 15.

I haven't gotten the crossovers built yet- that will be the true test of whether this is going to be a success story or not, once the horn is dialed in with the E-wave crossover.

Pictures will be forthcoming once they're in the cabinets.

Regards,
Gordon.

I'm thinking that for the pair I am building now, I will use the MiniDSP and take measurements then build the crossover to the sound I like best. SOOOO. I easy or difficult is it to transmute the setting on a Mini to an actual eWave crossover???

REW room eq wizard can load to a mini dsp and can measure frequency responsee. Use the mini dsp to adjust to to you liking. Get a measurement with the minidsp inplace and then measure the raw drivers. Load it into a crossover program and make whatever changes to the ewaves crossover are needed. When measuring don't forget phase.

Thanks Peter. Sounds like a great plan. I just don't have all the coils, caps, and resistors to do the trial and error thing. I have the cabinets, a pair of Altec 601s with the 3000 horn blown so I'll use just the woofer, a pair of eWave boards, the Dayton 250 CD and just need to order the horns. This will be my seventh pair!!!

Well- I built the world's first pair of Peavey Scorpion 15" coax drivers today. :thumbsup:

The good news, is that the horn in front of the driver, seems to NOT have significantly upset the upper end response of the Scorpion 15.
I had a pair of 12's from a guitar cab. One thing I noticed about them is that they were 'stuck' on one sound.
No matter where I set the tone controls it was mostly lower end mid range. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Maybe they just needed some loosening up since they hadn't been used in a long time.:dunno:
I really do hope you have much better results with yours. They do seem like a really well built speaker.
edit: I just remembered they sell replacement baskets for these. You can just unscrew the magnet assembly and replace the whole cone assembly unit.
I wonder if they made different cones for different applications.:idea:
:lurk:

Last edited:

I haven't gotten the crossovers built yet- that will be the true test of whether this is going to be a success story or not, once the horn is dialed in with the E-wave crossover.

Pictures will be forthcoming once they're in the cabinets.

Regards,
Gordon.
:needpics:

Just bought a pair of ZilchLab boards. I'm going to try something new(I think). I have a pair of Klipsch KG4 cabs. I'm going to put a 12" driver on the BACK, two Polk passives on the FRONT, and the PRV Audio D280Ti-S on the front. I have no idea how it will work. I have plenty of 12" drivers to try, from AlNiCo drivers from the 50's to RadioShack drivers to Advent Originals... Power by tubes and transistors. It's anybody's guess what will sound best.

Do you have Woofer Tester Kve? You can figure out what driver will work in those cabs. Don't know if you need the 12" with the Polks. They might go low enough on their own.

Ooops, I just read the Polks are passives....never mind. I'd put the 12" on the front and the Polks on the back.

The total square area of the passives should be at least twice that of the 12" woofer.

What size are the polks?

Do you know the brand and model of the woofer you plan on using???

The woof is the active driver and should go in front. If you want the speakers up against the wall, you can pull the passive radiators on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom