NEW Norah Jones album

Exactly what I thought when I listened to it. Sent it back already. Pity, 'cause I've always enjoyed her work immensely.
Maybe that's what she was going for. Her first 2 lp's(the only other one's Ive heard) weren't the most dynamic recordings either.

Listening again this morning with a bit more volume, and it's not as fuzzy as it seemed on first listen. Her vocals are way up in the mix. Not good or bad, but more noticeable then the last time. Also listening on my Dynaco A35's, not my AR3's. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but the recording does seem more lively then the last time I listened. Overall, a better experience this time around.

Again, this is the vinyl. Haven't heard the cd.

I'll admit I had only been listening to the Amazon Free Download MP3 version after ordering the album when I typed my comments above and, now that I've booted up the CD on my big system, I have to say her voice comes through just fine. There are still no real sizzling highs, even from the percussion, on this album. The cymbals may seem muted, but Norah's voice comes through in a very natural range over the JBL 4345s. The shrillest of soprano sax notes from Wayne Shorter on the Horace Silver tune Peace, aren't nearly as shrill as they might be on other recordings but it makes for some easy listening . . . and that just may be the point! Best tonal balance of all the tracks might just be Duke Ellington's Fleurette Africaine on which Shorter makes another appearance on tenor and jazz bassist John Patitiucci's acoustic comes through with far better clarity than the electric bass on some of the earlier tracks.

I just noted that the album was mastered by Greg Calbi, so I probably should have given it a fairer listen the first time through!

If you're a Norah fan, well, you're sure to like it. But I'd recommend anyone to sample it—but on a revealing system to make the most of what's there. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just picked up the record this week. Looking forward to giving it a spin tomorrow. If it's close to the two CD's I have of hers I'll really love it.

Gave it a spin yesterday, liked the music, liked the production and recording, BUUT the pressing sucked,waaaay too much surface noise. I'm going to give it a wash and if it still has the surface noise it's being returned for another copy. I did think the transparent orange vinyl looked cool though.

Gave it a good wash,no difference. On my receipt it says they will do exchanges for up to 7 days. That means I have til thursday to take it back. For me it's about a 70 mile drive and I really don't have any other reason to head into the city. I might just have to live with the noise.:no:

Gave it a good wash,no difference. On my receipt it says they will do exchanges for up to 7 days. That means I have til thursday to take it back. For me it's about a 70 mile drive and I really don't have any other reason to head into the city. I might just have to live with the noise.:no:
Buy the CD to listen to and keep the LP to look at the pretty orange color! :beerchug:

Thanks for the suggestion BMWCCA, but I buy records to listen to, not look at and prefer vinyl over CD's.

I understand—and I own three turntables!
But if the surface noise is too much for you to enjoy the music, then a CD might increase your enjoyment. :beerchug:

I may have to do that if I can't get a quiet copy of this album. When I drop 30 bucks on a new piece of vinyl I don't expect it to have as much surface noise as something that was dragged out of a thrift store. I have several copies of new vinyl (Knopfler, Skynyrd,Clapton, Bonamassa) and none of them have the surface noise that this record has, it's being exchanged tomorrow. If they can't give me a clean copy I'll get something else.

Sad about the vinyl - when I buy premium media I want it to be the best!
I will say my CD has been fine, I like the album!

Got another copy today with out any problems. Put it on the table for a minute to check for surface noise and it seems good. I'll give the whole album a listen tomorrow. I don't think there'll be any problems with this one. One note is the copy I got today which is quiet for the first few seconds I put it on for is on regular old black vinyl while the noisy one was on transparent orange vinyl. I don't know if that has any bearing on the surface noise issue, it does make me curious though.

New copy was played all the way through today and it sounds outstanding. A shout out to The Groovyard for making it right without any hassle.

Listening to it today through Sennheiser HD-598s and my iPod Classic 160GB 6G with lossless files to test two Crown D75A amps I just received from Ebay today. Great headphone amps. Wonderful digital signal path, even just outputting from the headphone jack of the iPod direct into the Crowns. A damn nice $350 headphone system, phones, iPod, and amp included.

Lovely sound!

Cheers!

I have some colored vinyl albums that sound inferior also. I think it's of a lesser audio quality for sure. But I like them!

So far, nobody has said much about the music itself. Opinion TIME...Norah's 1st big release on LP is great in all ways, the songs, the singing, the sound. For a few albums, it was the same but less effort, and a drift towards country. I stopped seeking her albums, lost interes

THEN Little Broken Hearts came out and WHAMMO! It seemed she was allowed to go her own way. It is a great album all around. So good that I didn't much payou attention to the sounsd but that is also VG.

SO,,,how about the music on her new release ??

I'm glad I found this thread. I thought it was my ears and or the system. Both vinyl and digital download sound horrible. Mine is going back.

Back
Top Bottom