SX-780 or G-4700?

tygr

Audiophoole
In my home office I have a pair of Def Tech Celsius DR speakers that I just love. They are for near field listening and are located right behind my desk.

So, I thought about 45-50 WPC would be just right to power the speakers, and I do like to just listen to the radio sometimes, so a receiver seemed like the perfect solution.

I'll be auditioning a Pioneer SX-780 against a Sansui G-4700 soon and would like some input as to your opinions on sound quality, longevity, ease of maintenance, abundance of parts, etc. for these two pieces.

I haven't owned any vintage equipment for some time now so just fishing for opinions here. Thanks.

My favorite contest is between similarly-rated Pioneer and Sansui gear. You can NOT go wrong either way. Both incredibly well-built and reliable.

I love the Sansui sound. (Right off the bat - If you don't, go with the Pioneer). As long as it has been cleaned up, the Sansui will sound warmer. It is my opinion that the Pioneer has a better tuner section than the Sansui, hands down, so if you do listen to the radio keep that in mind.

Up the ladder, I would, however, take my SX-1250 against anything Sansui had to offer in the same range (9090, etc...).

Having owned both and liked them. Both have positives and negatives. I'd pick the best looking one.
The Pioneer uses power packs that can be a problem to find. Where the Sansui uses transistors. But the power switch for the Sansui is tied to the speaker selector. No protection relay and the FM stereo IC chip availability are other issues with this model.

Barney

I have an SX780. It sounds nice. However one thing to consider is the SX780 uses Darlington Power Packs for the amp section, (one big chip per channel). If one goes bad there are no more made. And all sold on fleabay are fakes. Finding replacements is diffecult. They will not tolerate abuse. Dont mess with speaker wires or cross them when turned on, dont run it into clipping for extended periods of time, ect. And they will last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom