Any Portland Oregon clubs?

I've only found the one negative review, do you know of others? Like I said, leaning heavily towards Craig, I just hate the idea of shipping my amp.
It's been a few years, but I know there were very long wait times and final bills considerably over quoted price. I've had a couple of email conversations with him and they always seemed to end up a bit contentious, he can get an attitude when you are just asking questions. I found a guy in Seattle to go through my 299 for a ridiculously low price but, unfortunately, he's not taking on any work now. I have a 350 I'd like to have recapped. Have you asked the guys at Echo Audio who they would recommend?

I believe one of them referred me to Pat. I have a number for another guy that I was told could 'fix anything' tube related. But it seems silly to pay 1/4 to 1/2 the price of a full rebuild to have it fixed instead of rebuilt and done with it. The rebuild would also include the introduction of a circuit for adjusting bias above the chassis which the 208 lacks. Not to mention that Craig's reputation would make the amp more valuable if I ever decide to sell it. Just wish there was someone with his rep within driving distance. But I guess this stuff gets mailed all the time.

And e-mail communication with Craig has been great. He's answered all of my questions and never made me feel I'm taking up too much of his time, even though I know he's a busy guy. If all you need is a recap I could give you the number of the 'fix-it' guy. I'm pretty hooked on the Scott stuff, though I could use a bit more power. Lk-50 someday...

I would be up for a meet and greet. I’ve run into a few local AK folks and the interactions have all been very positive. I was involved with a group that hooked up at the Lucky Lab a few years ago. It was a fun evening; trading stories and drinking a few beers.

Always up for a beer … lots of local choices. I’m in Vancouver.

Off Topic :

PS - I met Pat Hickman when he was working out of Vancouver. He looked at a Levinson No.23 that was giving me trouble. He tore into it and couldnt fix it - Harmon wont help and he finally had to give up. He was the third technician to throw in the towel. It's a really complicated amplifier and some parts are impossible to find. I paid him $100 and we called it good. He had a ton of tube gear and I looked at a couple pieces he restored - they were pristine. Echo Audio had a great technician but he's retired and only works part time. Kurt doesn't really like a lot of repair work - it's not really where he is at. I have dealt with quite a few local techs, I would trust Pat to do the work but be clear of your expectations up front. He's not cheap but I believe he is thorough and knows most classic tube gear.

My 2 cents ...

Yes, yes I have. :)
Nice! I spent all of June 2015 somewhere on the river, mostly Last Chance and the Ranch. I'm on the road April 3rd and will bounce around the Puget Sound area and Portland before I head over around the first of May. I missed most of the stonefly hatch last time but am stoked for the big bugs this time around!

I would be up for a meet and greet. I’ve run into a few local AK folks and the interactions have all been very positive. I was involved with a group that hooked up at the Lucky Lab a few years ago. It was a fun evening; trading stories and drinking a few beers.

Always up for a beer … lots of local choices. I’m in Vancouver.

I like your screen name, SPEC2Man. If you come to the meet up, that would be awesome. I am a SPEC-2 owner and would love to pick your brain about a few things, if you would allow me the opportunity. As for places around Portland, there are many. Maybe we could go to a few record shops, too. What do you all think?

I say lets throw out a date and a place. Personally I don't care much for brewpubs but maybe a good happy hour spot. A Sunday perhaps? Ne, nw, se, or sw? I would vote for the eastside. Or maybe beer and pizza? There's a place on Stark that does both. Can't remember the bar's name but it's Baby Doll Pizza, connected to the bar now.

That sounds like a good idea...Lets say May 7th? Its about a month away and its a Sunday. As for a place, maybe somewhere in SE? There are some good record stores out that way, plus lots of great food/drinks.

I am in Portland.....does such a club exist yet?

Side note...anyone here deal with Jamac in portland, on sandy blvd?

As near as I can tell, the guy (Ron) is a total hack.

I am in Portland.....does such a club exist yet?

Side note...anyone here deal with Jamac in portland, on sandy blvd?

As near as I can tell, the guy (Ron) is a total hack.

I used to work at a hi-fi store in Portland and we recommended them to people looking for speaker repair. Any time I dealt with them, they seemed nice enough. Though, I have never had anything actually repaired by them, so I cannot comment on their quality of work.

I'm in PDX too, but will be on the road for a side gig on May 7th. Glad there's some folks getting something together, I'll check back again and see if there are other dates.

Back
Top Bottom