SPAM

jimfet

Lunatic Member
IMG_0616.JPG

Spam on the grill. I hang at a little bar about 1/3 mile from my house. Here lately we have been seeing these Spam commercials on TV that have been driving us nuts. They make the Spam look so good. So I told everyone in the afternoon crowd, I was going to BBQ some with some light sauce and bring it down. I cut each slice into 8 bites. The afternoon crowd is only 4 to 6 people. I ate one and it was pretty damn good. Yes...........I did drop one between the grates flipping them. I will cook at a lower heat next time as this stuff cooks very fast. I had it on 3/4 heat. None of us has had Spam in years, and the Bar tender has never had it. She is only 23.

That looks real tasty. How was it? I haven't had Spam since I was a kid. My mom used to slather on yellow mustard and bake it in the oven I need to rediscover Spam and grilling looks like a good vehicle. I make a Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce that I got from AmazingRibs.com Recipe section. Might be a good match. What did you use for a BBQ sauce Jim?

-Dave

Wanna really thrill them ... make some spam and egg sandwiches and hand those around. Two slices of grilled spam, with an egg between them ... <G>

Love me some Spam Musubi and bacon fried rice at my local Hawaiian place, the Loft. Add a side of Portuguese Liguica and it's heavenly.

Given the isolation, tinned and cured meat are popular in HAwaii once you steer clear of the tourist traps.

Hey! It was great. All was eaten. They told me to cook some more. Even after some talking we got the bar tender to try some. She wound up eating a shit load. It was great with beer.

That looks real tasty. How was it? I haven't had Spam since I was a kid. My mom used to slather on yellow mustard and bake it in the oven I need to rediscover Spam and grilling looks like a good vehicle. I make a Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce that I got from AmazingRibs.com Recipe section. Might be a good match. What did you use for a BBQ sauce Jim?

-Dave
I think a mustard base would be the best. I used a bottle of a bunch I had mixed together. I just wanted it out of the fridge. It doesn't take much and it cooks very fast.

Yeah but in a GOOD way...

Not sure if it's because my parents were exposed to it in Hawaii (I was born there) or because it was cheap, but we used to have Spam for breakfast fairly regularly as kids... served with buttered English muffins on the side. Easily my favorite breakfast and probably influenced a lifetime of bad food habits for me.

John

Disgusting.

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-classic

The first ingredients are pork with ham. Does have alot of salt though. I do eat alot of country ham. But Hey..........this is beer food. I just had it sliced and diced up in a container, with a box of tooth picks. Everybody stabbed their own.

Last edited:
The Spam love in Hawaii was brought on by WWII. This is also true for The British Ilse. There was a food show on History Channel that told the story of the introduction of Spam. Hormel did not know what to do with all the pork shoulders they ended up with and then one of their employees made a suggestion and the rest is history. The seven billionth can of spam was sold in 2007.

I personally don't eat it, but I remember going on a camping trip in my teens. One of my buddies brought some Spam and I was surprised how good it was cooked on a forked stick over a campfire.

Back
Top Bottom