Pioneer HPM-70 saved from the dump....

Wonderful find.I have just finished rebuilding the crossovers for a set of HPM 100's. The coil in series with the woofer
will over saturate if driven hard.Get an air core inductor same value. Replace the small cap in the super tweeter circuit. The two green caps(u-con) are ok unless obvious damage. I have product with u-con caps still going strong after 40 Years.

I hooked them up and gave them a listen. My usual speakers are Monitor Audio Silver RX6.
Let me say straight away these HPMs will not replace my M.A. Not that I expected them to be that good anyway :D

But they are OK. To get a nicely balanced sound with the speaker controls at zero, I need to crank up the bass maybe +6 db.
If I turn down the treble and mid controls on the speakers the sound is more balanced but missing some clarity and lacking low bass.
This isn't surprising. They were designed by the same engineer (and aimed at the same market) as the JBL L100. I'm not a fan of the L100 but we have many others here who are (and the HPM series as well).

There's a lot more info in this prior thread.

Back
Top Bottom