New vintage TT score! Pl 540 content

Moby Dick

I am new to this awesome hobby and love the pioneer pl 500 line of turntables.
I have had my eye on the local Craigslist like a hawk and today was my lucky day.

This afternoon a listing for a "turntable for sale" popped-up.
I clicked on the link and low and behold a pioneer pl 540 was listed for only $90.

I quickly responded and within an hour had an agreement of where,when and how much.

I ended up with this complete very good condition(except for the grime and minor dust cover scratches) pioneer pl 540 for all of $75.

Once I got it home the first thing I did was wipe down the dust over and peek at the cartridge
It has an AT DR 300e.
A bit disappointed reading reviews on it.
It is a P mount moving magnet lower end cart from what I gather.

Still have a lot of researching to do but thought I would send a request out to the collective knowledge base here and get some advice.

My plans for this TT is to do a wood veneer.
I also have a bic 960 which has a shure M91ed cartridge and hi-track N91ed stylus.

Will my pl 540 accept the 1/2 inch shure cartridge?
Is the shure a good match for the pioneer tonearm?

I will say I really like the sound of the bic table with the shure cartridge but I am keeping the pioneer and would like to try this cartridge in it.

Any help you can offer this new guy is greatly appreciated.

Now for the pics:

IMG_1147_zpsavb5fcvj.jpg

IMG_1146_zpslnublyxg.jpg

IMG_1150_zpsrptqzqdx.jpg

Last edited:
I am new to this awesome hobby and love the pioneer pl 500 line of turntables.
I have had my eye on the local Craigslist like a hawk and today was my lucky day.

This afternoon a listing for a "turntable for sale" popped-up.
I clicked on the link and low and behold a pioneer pl 540 was listed for only $90.

I quickly responded and within an hour had an agreement of where,when and how much.

I ended up with this complete very good condition(except for the grime and minor dust cover scratches) pioneer pl 540 for all of $75.

Once I got it home the first thing I did was wipe down the dust over and peek at the cartridge
It has an AT DR 300e.
A bit disappointed reading reviews on it.
It is a P mount moving magnet lower end cart from what I gather.

Still have a lot of researching to do but thought I would send a request out to the collective knowledge base here and get some advice.

My plans for this TT is to do a wood veneer.
I also have a bic 960 which has a shure M91ed cartridge and hi-track N91ed stylus.

Will my pl 540 accept the 1/2 inch shure cartridge?
Is the shure a good match for the pioneer tonearm?

I will say I really like the sound of the bic table with the shure cartridge but I am keeping the pioneer and would like to try this cartridge in it.

Any help you can offer this new guy is greatly appreciated.

Now for the pics:

IMG_1147_zpsavb5fcvj.jpg

IMG_1146_zpslnublyxg.jpg

IMG_1150_zpsrptqzqdx.jpg
Congratulations! Nice find!

I had one way back when they were released and I still have one today, I think you'll be happy with it and the shure should go well with it. No idea on the cart that is on there but I don't believe it is a P mount, the PL-540 takes a standard mount. Enjoy the table, i think it will turn out to be a really well spent $75.

Yeah that DR300 E is a P mount with a universal adapter. I think the DR300 E cartridge is similar to the newer AT 311EP and should accept a variety of OEM AT Styli if it needs a new stylus.
Not top of the line, but my AT 311EP sounds fine to me, listening to it right now as a matter of fact on a PL-530. I also have an AT95E and the AT 311EP sounds about the same to my ears. Your Shure M91ED should work. I also have a Shure M93E with a decent after market N91ED stylus making it similar to the M91ED which also sounds good on the PL-530, but a little on the bright side for my taste, so I prefer the two AT cartridges.

Try them both and see which you like better. If you don't have a user manual you can get a free copy here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-540.shtml
Register on that web site, it's free and reliable. On the first page of that manual take a look at figure 3, it shows where the stylus tip should be (49mm) relative to the black rubber washer at the back of the headshell where it attaches to the tone arm. You'll want to also look at how to set up the counter weight when you change cartridges. I think the combination of the DR300 E with the universal adapter is heavier than the Shure, so you'll have to reset the counter weight to get the correct tracking force.

That vinyl engine web site also has a data base for a zillion different cartridges, so you will also be able to find the correct tracking force for both your cartridges.

Last edited:
Thats a score....If it only takes a P Mount. My advice is to Definately shop around for a Shure/Realistic RXT5 Cartridge. Its My favorite P Mount Cart. I grabbed one a month ago for 24 bucks on ebay, and It sounds great for a P mount cart, In my opinion. I also got a new replacement stylus for the RXT5 on fleabay $_1 (1).jpg for just 11 bucks, its an EV. That combo really cranks out bass and warmth...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help.
I think I will see what the AT cartridge sounds like before trying something different.

The pioneer headshell is actually a standard 1/2 inch mount but it came with the P mount AT with the 1/2 inch adapter.

I need to check the cartridge alignment and do some thorough cleaning before playing an album.

I will update with my findings.

That's a fantastic score, ESPECIALLY if the feet are still there. I have had this turntable for a little over a year and couldn't be happier. When I found mine, it didn't look nearly as nice as yours, and the feet were rotted away. I have seen a set of original PL-540 feet on eBay exactly once, and those cost much more than you or I paid for the entire turntable. Let me know in case yours does need new feet, and I can pass on instructions on how to fit Technics feet, which are readily available.

My PL-540 came with an AT3600 cartridge and I only installed a replacement stylus. The sound was always pretty good, but recently I got itchy for something better, and after much research up and down the web, I installed an AT440MLa cartridge (1/2 inch mount), and the results are just heavenly. I can't speak to the Shure cartridge as I've never had one. I had an AT95 on a Technics table before, and granted, never compared the two side by side, but all I can say is that the AT95 always sounded OK, but never blew me away. The AT 440MLa does. The AT440MLa is the first cartridge I've owned that I consider a "nice" cartridge, and based on this experience, I would never go back to a sub-$100 cartridge, especially not P-mount.

That cartridge looks skewed to the right in that photo. If you can get the stylus to ride perpendicular to the record while in the groove it will be all good but I'd be on the replacement cartridge path, maybe even harvesting that 91 from the BIC and make the good table better.

It sounds great, but I urge you to install the Pioneer receiver is something so it has space above it for the heat it generates to escape. It should have at least 6" of open space above it. By encasing it as you have it you will shorten the life of the receiver due to the trapped heat.

I finished cleaning and setting up the turntable yesterday.

Gave everything a thorough cleaning and sprayed contact cleaner on some of the connections. The inside looks untouched.
The turntable feet are all there but two of them have seen better days and will probably be replaced.

The VTF was way off. The counterweight was turned-in an additional full turn with the antiskate set to 4g.
The cartridge offset was off by 4mm.

I set the cartridge offset to the pioneer spec of 49mm to the backside of the headshell washer.
Balanced the arm and set VTF and antiskate to 1.5g

Overall I'm very pleased with the table.
The sound is not as bright or defined and seems somewhat compressed or less dynamic than the shure cartridge on the Bic table so I think I will try the shure cartridge on it next.
But I definitely think it sounds good.

Future plans are to try a different cartridge, and instead of veneering the stock plinth, I think I will make a new plinth from mdf and veneer.
The original is in such good condition I hate to deface it.
The dust cover is covered with moderate scratches so will be doing the sand and polish in the near future.

Now I'm just waiting on my marantz 2265B to return from repair and decide which receiver to keep.
Then the final piece will be a nice set of more modern bookshelf speakers to complement the CS77s.

Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the model of the original OEM cartridge that came with this turntable is? I currently have a Shure 95ED but I want to get the OEM Pioneer which I hear is an excellent cartridge.

I was wondering if you still have this turntable and what cartridge did you get for it? I have a Shure M95ED and I am so pleased with it. I had to do some maintenance on my turntable but it is fine except for the start switch which I need to adjust. Not bad after 40 years. I purchased my PL-540 new in 78 or 79. I am also using the AT 95 model which compares very closely, but tracks heavier.

I was wondering if you still have this turntable and what cartridge did you get for it? I have a Shure M95ED and I am so pleased with it. I had to do some maintenance on my turntable but it is fine except for the start switch which I need to adjust. Not bad after 40 years. I purchased my PL-540 new in 78 or 79. I am also using the AT 95 model which compares very closely, but tracks heavier.

I have an old
shure m91ed cartridge. I ended up replacing the stylus with an inexpensive stylus from needldaddy .
I am pleased with this table and can’t imagine buying one of the cheaper new tables when there are plenty of these old tables still available.

I have an old
shure m91ed cartridge. I ended up replacing the stylus with an inexpensive stylus from needldaddy .
I am pleased with this table and can’t imagine buying one of the cheaper new tables when there are plenty of these old tables still available.
I agree with you 100%! The big thing for me is, $400 for this table in working condition, and way better build quality even after all these years!

Back
Top Bottom