Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

That didn't matter when records were the main means of popular music storage, before CDs and such. The context was in the nature of the conversation.

"Let's listen to some records." "I bought the new Supremes record." "Do you want the record or the cassette?" (Though cassettes were usually simply called "tapes".) It worked fine.
We used to call them albums.

I've always thought that all these words people used to describe what they were hearing was due to the fact that they didn't understand frequency response and total harmonic distortion.

I've always thought that all these words people used to describe what they were hearing was due to the fact that they didn't understand frequency response and total harmonic distortion.

I understand response and distortion. But how do you describe sonic texture and space? How does the difference between two systems with different distortion sound? You can give gross impressions of course, that one sounds more distorted. But then you need to describe the sound of the distortion--glare, grain, strain, lack of clarity--what? DJK, a technically astute guy at Audio Asylum describes the Doppler distortion he hears from overdriven full range cones as a gurgling sound.

The vocabulary audiophiles use to describe sound is needed because technical terms fail to describe sound adequately. Believe me, we aren't all ignorant.

Last edited:
220px-Earlyalbum1.jpg

Early record albums were packages of 78 rpm records in book form. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as record "albums" term. Fast forward to 7 minute mark on this YouTube video about the Victrola.

Last edited:
"Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe....."

help me choose

I see this phrase or some other variation often, a full fledged debate will follow.

How about when people use SOTA <(State of the Art) when describing some 50 year old piece of equipment.

Then the fact that it's a turntable company name they are inserting acronym of in their post, try searching this site for SOTA when all you what to do is find info on the turntables.

State of the Art

1. 1.
    the most recent stage in the development of a product, incorporating the newest ideas and the most up-to-date features.

Responses like this bug me. Why should you care if someone is happy with what they have and like what they hear? When did we all commit to making you happy with our systems?

Thanks for that. This one is the polar opposite of striving for higher fidelity. You might as well say that there are no standards, there is no goal. It's the audio enthusiast's equivalent to Special Olympics. "As long as it sounds good to you" is like "winning" a participation trophy.

I don't remember committing myself to make you happy!

Back
Top Bottom