Tekton Owners Thread

FWIW, I've been running a Freya for a couple of months now and I'm no longer interested in looking for any other pre. Perfect for what I need in in/outputs and sounds better than anything I've had before. To keep this thread clean, I just received shipment of a pair of new (to me) mini-lores and I'll be putting them into service this evening driven by the Freya and a Class D Audio amp. I'm expecting to be happy!

hi rick, what parasound amp are you looking to buy .I was thinking about parasound halo integrated amp.if you are looking at tube amps try rogue audio cronus magnum tube amp. how much is you budget to spend.

I am looking at the Parasound P5 preamp to go with my Odessey Khartago amp and new DI's
Hi Calestus,

That Schiitt preamp looks really nice, especially for only $700!

The Schiitt preamp looks like something to consider, but haven't read too much about it from uses, does anyone have experience with it?

While I have no experience with the Freya, I owned their Yggdrasil DAC for over two years and loved it. It took a much more expensive PS Audio DAC and transport to replace it. They make some amazing products that come with a money back guarantee. Having said that I haven't owned a preamp in a while. I had an integrated tube amp and now I run my PS Audio DAC directly to my amp and use the DACs volume control.

Yeah, from all the reading I've done it's really really nice with different tubes. I should have one on it's way soon. I've loved all the headphone amps I've had from them, can't wait to try it out.
I have a Schiit Bifrost DAC & Lyr2 tube headphone amp that sound great with my array of cans, so I'm familiar with their offerings. Enjoy the Freya!

Do you guys think the Schiit Freya will work well with the Odessey Khartago amp? Also, any recommendations on a good phono preamp for moving cartridge ( Ortofon 2M Blue) for my UTurn Orbit TT?

I received my DI's on Thursday! I spent Thursday evening unboxing and setting them up and listening to them. I spent all day Friday listening to them as well. My 1rst impression was they sound really nice, but am still moving them around to get that sweet spot. I do think after listening to them, they did start to sound a little "muddy" in the late afternoon. I am not sure it was the quality of the CDs being tired or the fact my Sansui AU 517 is just plain old and tired. I will hook up my Yamaha RX V2095 A/V receiver to see what the sound is like. Can I get some input from DI owners of the best placement for these speakers? I have them set up 8 feet apart, 3.5 feet from the side walls and 1.5 feet from the rear wall, with a little toe in. After I get my Yamaha set up and have time to listen, I will let you know how they sound.

Try placing them closer together. Eric recommends 6-8' apart. I have mine 6' apart. More dynamics and a fuller sound than when placed too far apart. I'd locate the center point between the speakers with masking tape. Keep speakers equidistant from center point. Maybe start at 8' apart and move in at 6" increments until you find where you like them best. Then move in smaller increments if you wish.

The more toe in the brighter the sound. Listening position is commonly anywhere from an equilateral triangle with speakers to about 1.6X further back than distance between speakers.

Yeah, it can take a while to get everything right but you'll be rewarded by doing so.

Last edited:
Rick,

Make sure the spikes are installed. If the threaded spike holes are left open bass escapes them and they won't sound very good.

I changed the speaker position to 6 feet apart with a slight toe in and it does sound better now. Will tweak it little by little now. I have wood floors so I inserted the rubber feet Eric sent me instead of the spikes. The Yamaha receiver sounds horrible, very bright no bottom end, no warmth, kind of industrial. I hooked my Sansui back up and it really does sound better. I cant wait to get the Odessey amp and whatever preamp I decide on. Really leaning toward the Schiit Freya, just wish I could hear it first. The lounge audio mkiii phono pre amp sounds like the one I will get for my TT.

I changed the speaker position to 6 feet apart with a slight toe in and it does sound better now. Will tweak it little by little now. I have wood floors so I inserted the rubber feet Eric sent me instead of the spikes. The Yamaha receiver sounds horrible, very bright no bottom end, no warmth, kind of industrial. I hooked my Sansui back up and it really does sound better. I cant wait to get the Odessey amp and whatever preamp I decide on. Really leaning toward the Schiit Freya, just wish I could hear it first. The lounge audio mkiii phono pre amp sounds like the one I will get for my TT.

Hey Rick, I have a Freya. I had some issues with noise in the left channel. I swapped the tubes around and still had problems. Turns out MANY 6sn7's are noisy. I was just swapping noisy tubes with more noisy tubes. Very frustrating. these are the nos tungsol repro's I'm talking about. long story short I am selling it, I just like like my transcendent sound masterpiece better.

How many hours you have on the DIs? Give them time to grow.

How many hours you have on the DIs? Give them time to grow.

I have maybe 12 hours on them so far.
I asked Eric Alexander for a speaker cable recommendation when I received my Pendragons and he recommended 14 Gauge Mogami Coax and he referred me to someone at Performance Audio in Salt Lake City. Should cost around $100 for an 8 foot pair.

Mojo Warrior, Did you buy the Mogami Cables, and if so do you like them?

Rick - Wait for the speakers to get at least 50 hours on them, then you can decide if you need to spend more money.
You might find you like them fine without paying for new wires. The speakers will not be insulted if you fail to buy them gifts.... :)

lol cubdog.
I work from home so it's not too bad. In between taking some calls, I did get to bring them in from the FedEx guy and unpack and set them up. So far I have tried my Yaqin tube amp in triode, ultra linear, and my Emotiva UPA-1 200 watt mono blocks with the Emotiva XSP-1 gen 2 preamp. Best sound To my ears is the Yaqin in triode mode. So far I have about 7.5 hours on the speakers. They have a long ways to go yet to convince me that they are better than the 804 B&W's. They are way too bright with the ss amps in my opinion. That sure could be my room. I don't have any room treatments either, but didn't really need it with the B&W's and the tube amp. I am trying different positions for the speakers and me. I will keep on experimenting. I am only using an Emotiva Erc-1 CD player, and not using mY turntable yet as my Yaqin tube phono amp is new also and no way near broken in so, I will hold off on the vinyl for now.
Well that's it for first few hours and my impression. I do have some Mogami cables coming from take five sound and will see if they do anything for me. I like others here don't usually hear any difference in cables, but I also don't have the higher end equipment either...... at least they are pretty decent cables in my opinion and hopefully better than the cheap speaker wire I am using now.

Cubdog,
How do you like your Mogami speaker cables? Did you buy the W3082 or W3103? Thanks Rick

Hi rickmusicman

I bought the mogami 3103dlx cables from take five audio. They had to burn in five days and were deep cryogenic treated. I sure don't know if I believe in any of that but it was part of the package. I should be receiving them next week as it takes 5 days to burn in,and a weekend was involved. So I don't know yet what they will sound like but assume they will be somewhat better than the plain old speaker wire I am using. I will not use them right away as I want to burn in the speakers more and I only have about 21 or so hours on them. I really want to see if they make a difference after the fact. So far the speakers to my ears got a little worse and muddy to my ears. So I need to let them break in. My grills are finally shipping and I should get them next week and I will be able to keep my speakers in one place and not turn them facing the walls when I am done listening. My cats would be too curious and possibly climb up,the speaker fronts so I don't leave the speakers out and unattended. So a lot of break in time for the speakers left and lots of adjustments to go. Hopefully in a couple or three weeks I will have a positive update, right now I am very hopeful, but still have a long way to beat my B&W speakers.

Hi rickmusicman

I bought the mogami 3103dlx cables from take five audio. They had to burn in five days and were deep cryogenic treated. I sure don't know if I believe in any of that but it was part of the package. I should be receiving them next week as it takes 5 days to burn in,and a weekend was involved. So I don't know yet what they will sound like but assume they will be somewhat better than the plain old speaker wire I am using. I will not use them right away as I want to burn in the speakers more and I only have about 21 or so hours on them. I really want to see if they make a difference after the fact. So far the speakers to my ears got a little worse and muddy to my ears. So I need to let them break in. My grills are finally shipping and I should get them next week and I will be able to keep my speakers in one place and not turn them facing the walls when I am done listening. My cats would be too curious and possibly climb up,the speaker fronts so I don't leave the speakers out and unattended. So a lot of break in time for the speakers left and lots of adjustments to go. Hopefully in a couple or three weeks I will have a positive update, right now I am very hopeful, but still have a long way to beat my B&W speakers.

dwwjr56,

My DI's sounded good when I first set them up. Somewhere maybe around 15 hours or so of listening, they started sounding muddy to me, so I know what you mean. I changed speaker location and gave them more time to break in. I was feeling like I might have made a mistake on these speakers, but I am listening to them tonight and they are sounding better. I am using C & E speaker wire, cheap from Amazon and my old amp/preamp. I know when I replace those it will sound much better as well. Keep the faith, and I would appreciate feedback on your new Mogami cables. That process sounds interesting how they treat them! Rick

Back
Top Bottom