LaScala Help: Are the mods and upgrades NECESSARY?

If I had the room I would want a pair of mwm-s as subs for the La Scala. But then if I had that much room I would have a pair of Corner horns with a La Scala or Belle in the center.

I am one of those people that feel the La Scala does not need a sub - and I tried it with one. I found the right amp makes a big difference with them.

I am one of those people that feel the La Scala does not need a sub - and I tried it with one. I found the right amp makes a big difference with them.
a good amp always make a difference but it cannot make them play any lower than they do and they don't play very low by hifi standards enjoy away they are a blast to be sure.

I have a couple amps that definitely are a bit stronger in the bass than others, so I use them. If I did not have one, I'd add a sub.

A zombie thread!

I found modifying the crossovers to drop the mid -3dB made a big difference to me. They sound very much like my Magnepans now, which is a weird statement to even make.

That is a weird one, but interesting. where are the similarities?
Regards,
Jim

Overall soundstage and timbre is very close which really surprised me. I will say that they are in different rooms, so that may make a difference.

^ Ding ding ding we have a winner. Rooms will make a big change. That's why I know so many people go active X over.

The mods necessary??
For me they were, as I brought home a pair from craigslist with blown tweeters, which can be a common issue in La Scalas and Khorns. You will probably eventualy be facing blown tweeters at some point, so an upgrade will do you good!
Also my set were mid 80's models which had the undesireable AA crossovers, which could benefit from a rebuild. So after much recommendation here on this forum, I called Bob crites and talked
with him about options. Ended up buying the ct 125 tweeters and A4500 crossover and new mid driver washers , from Bob and have not looked back. I have also since made the bass bin mod that the speakers sit on and am very pleased with the La Scalas I am currently running. I really enjoyed talking with Bob and using his recommendations as they make total sense and work great. If I were to loose any other components on these I would call Bob crites again.
Just my .02
Gordon

A zombie thread!

I found modifying the crossovers to drop the mid -3dB made a big difference to me. They sound very much like my Magnepans now, which is a weird statement to even make.

I did a -3dB mod to mine as well, and it definitely made the speakers more balanced but perhaps at the expense of some of the dynamic liveliness they had before. Definitely a noticeable drop in sensitivity, though there's absolutely never a need for more volume with even 15 watts per channel. I did the mod with switches so I could switch back and forth, but I've never switched and it was so long ago I don't remember what to do. I may look into it one day and compare.

Back
Top Bottom