Modern Direct Drive TT ?

Tdogzthmn

I've been looking to see if there are any manufacturers making direct drive turntables which are on par with my Technics 1210mk2 and not prohibitively expensive.

Aside from the new Technics models coming out an the range of cheaper Audio Technica direct drives is there any other quality direct drives? The build quality of the Technics is so nice that I worry most other turntables on the market will seem unsubstantial.

Pioneer PLX-1000, I believe that there is an even cheaper Pioneer model now, the PLX-500. These are made by the same factory that makes the A-T tables (Hanpin). I also think that there is an Onkyo/Hanpin DD out there as well in around the same general price range.

Pioneer PLX-1000, I believe that there is an even cheaper Pioneer model now, the PLX-500. These are made by the same factory that makes the A-T tables (Hanpin). I also think that there is an Onkyo/Hanpin DD out there as well in around the same general price range.

I'm not sure any of those would be the same level of performance as the Technics. All the Hanpin models seems to use the same parts in different styled chassis. Seems like all the boutique turntable makers stick with belt drive which is easier to implement. VPI made one but it was around $30k.

I'm not totally against belt drives but it would be nice to know if anyone is making quality direct drives at a reasonable price.

The only affordable direct drive turntables being made that are close, but not very close, to the old Technics turntables are the Pioneer PLX-1000/PLX-500 and the various "Super OEMs" made by Hanpin in China like the Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 USB such as you mentoned. There are others, like the $30,000 VPI Classic Direct, but nothing in between price wise.

Of course, there are other Technics tables from the period of the 1200 that are just as good but lack the fame of the 1200. The MK2 versions of the SL-1600, 1700 and 1800 or the "M Series" turntables but they're hard to find.

John

I'm not sure any of those would be the same level of performance as the Technics. All the Hanpin models seems to use the same parts in different styled chassis. Seems like all the boutique turntable makers stick with belt drive which is easier to implement. VPI made one but it was around $30k.

I'm not totally against belt drives but it would be nice to know if anyone is making quality direct drives at a reasonable price.
If you want a quality direct-drive turntable, get one of the new Technics units. If you want something that's reasonably priced, get a Hanpin rebadge. Those are, realistically speaking, the choices you have.

The only company presently making a QUALITY direct drive table at a reasonable price is Technics, looks to be about $2,000 for the planned base model. This is a reasonable price today for a table that's designed and mfg in Japan with Japanese parts. The Technics 1200G at $4,000 could be considered a very reasonable price if not a bargain in comparison to the $30,000 VPI direct drive table. Whatever you choose to do investing in a quality item rarely turns out to be a bad decision in the long run as you have seen with your present SL-1210Mk2.

Yes, it seems that Technics is the only reasonable choice for a modern DD with their new 1200GR series although it's not clear when this will actually be available for sale.

I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another option that I was unaware of.

If I were looking for a DD turntable I would feel like being between the rock and hard place. And as much as I would want to consider the new Sl 1200 I would much prefer a SP 10 mk II, to which I could add an arm of my choosing. Fortunately or unfortunately I am a linear tracking tone arm user. And I am not prepared to give up on that choice as I have seen countless times linear tracking arms out perform their pivoting cousins. So I will compromise now with only 65 db of signal to noise, rumble, and .04 wow and flutter with a belt driven table that is not effected by acoustic feed back for the unknown turn tables of the future. I might be fun to have a HR-x or a new rim drive Avenger, but I dont have the physical rspace let alone am I willing to invest that amount of coin.

If the LP was as popular today as it was in the 70's at 70's prices I would up grade my TT. But I would want todays cartridges and tone arm choices.

Last edited:
Well there is the Brinkman Bardo. Not sure its considered "reasonably priced" though. It is a magnetic coupled direct drive table. I guess it makes that GAE class look affordable though.
bardo.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

Mr Pig I was going to add the Brinkman to the very short list of todays current QUALITY direct drives but the price as you said makes the GAE look affordable. As you have done a preowned Technics SP-10Mk2 would be an excellent option in performance/quality and probably could be had for less than the 1200GAE.

Well there is the Brinkman Bardo. Not sure its considered "reasonably priced" though. It is a magnetic coupled direct drive table. I guess it makes that GAE class look affordable though.
bardo.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

I dont know the price but I like the look

The Brinkmann turntables are very expensive indeed, $8000 for the Bardo and $14000 for the Oasis. That is just the turntable; the arm will run you another $3-6K.

Back
Top Bottom