Another Pionner SX 1250 repair (this time in Minnesota)

Tinyelvis

domo arigato
Hello all,
I've been away from the boards (moved to Los Angeles and had a JOB. Moved back to Minnesota now). I inherited a Pioneer SX1250. It has some problems and it's totally out of my league. So I am in the market for a professional to repair this big fella. Some images I just took below.
Just need to some Minnesota references

Alex Audio?
Vintage Music?
HiFi Sound?
Any local Ak'ers equipped/or interested in this job?

Hope all is well,
TinyE (Mark)
20170419_193758.jpg 20170419_193727.jpg 20170419_193732.jpg 20170419_193736.jpg

Last edited:
I would not use any of those. There are some local people who repair these who know how to work on vintage equipment. I saw an SX-1050 at the shop of Bill Machenstadt and it sounded great. I'll PM you his phone number. He's located near the University of MN. Another man I spoke with who seemed very nice is Jerry Jugovich. I'll include his phone number too. They've both repaired a number of vintage Pioneer receivers and know what they are doing.

As far as Speakers, the best I've heard with these receivers are the JBL L100 and the Pioneer HPM 100.

I would not use any of those. There are some local people who repair these who know how to work on vintage equipment. I saw an SX-1050 at the shop of Bill Machenstadt and it sounded great. I'll PM you his phone number. He's located near the University of MN. Another man I spoke with who seemed very nice is Jerry Jugovich. I'll include his phone number too. They've both repaired a number of vintage Pioneer receivers and know what they are doing.

Jeff, could you send me those contacts as well? I'm also curious what forms your negative opinion of Alex AV, etc.

Mattsd is in Ohio. Shipping would not be horrible, but if you are in the mood for a drive...

He has done my 1250 and my 1280. He knows his sh...tuff. Give him a conversation and see what his schedule is like. My visits were about 3/4 of a year for each.

I have nothing against Alex AV. I've never used them. My concern about any shop is that they may not know how to properly repair this type of vintage equipment. Their focus might be on saving time/maximizing profit. If you read the various threads here there are some fine nuances as to what type of parts to use and warnings to be careful moving some components which are not replaceable. The people I recommend are passionate about this equipment, have been around the block and will do their best to get the best results from their work.

As far as Speakers, the best I've heard with these receivers are the JBL L100 and the Pioneer HPM 100.

Bill Mack restored my SX-1250 and did a fantastic job! I enjoy listening to it daily for the last couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom