Shipping Records request

sberger

Hard Core Geezer
Subscriber
If this should go somewhere else please feel free to move.

Please everyone, when shipping records please add a piece of cardboard between the mailer and the lp('s) so that when cutting open the taped mailer one doesn't slice down to the cover of the lp. I've been buying and receiving shipped records to know to be careful when opening but still find myself sometimes being a bit over zealous.

Thanks.

If this should go somewhere else please feel free to move.

Please everyone, when shipping records please add a piece of cardboard between the mailer and the lp('s) so that when cutting open the taped mailer one doesn't slice down to the cover of the lp. I've been buying and receiving shipped records to know to be careful when opening but still find myself sometimes being a bit over zealous.

Thanks.
I recommend using a utility knife with only about 1/4" exposed.

Good idea but how about the receiver being careful opening the record. I have received hundreds of records in mailers and never once damaged one opening them. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Good for you. I've opened tons of packages over the years that I haven't damaged either. And I wasn't blaming anybody. Just providing some advice to folks mailing lp's. Responsibility on both ends is a good thing.

I always add either cardboard pads or covers from trashed LPs, but mainly as protection from the sides and to make the contents fit as snugly as possible inside the mailer. This keeps the LPs from shifting so they don't get worn or dinged. If the recipient just cuts the tape, and not the mailer itself, there won't be any damage to the contents and the mailer can be reused.

Ironically enough, I just received a record in the mail today, left in the outer jacket, causing seam splits to all 3 sides. :confused:

I got one the other day, record in the sleeve, in the jacket, inside a 12x16 padded envelope shifting all over the place.

Got one a week ago sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard and crudely taped, I could actually read the spine of the record in the "packaging."

I got one the other day, record in the sleeve, in the jacket, inside a 12x16 padded envelope shifting all over the place.

Got one a week ago sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard and crudely taped, I could actually read the spine of the record in the "packaging."
Someone shipped me a once beautiful copy of "Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." by Bowie that way. By the time it reached me the cover was all bent up. :confused:

Now I open a mailer with Billy Bragg's first album in it, and the thing is broken in two! Seller didn't add any cardboard, just put the record in the box.

Some people just shouldn't be selling records...

I've gotten a few like that from sellers on Yahoo Japan. I got one like that sent all the way from Venezuela. Guess some people like to make sure the album is properly aired out by the time it reaches you.

And please please PLEASE: remove the inner sleeve and record from the outer sleeve.
Failure to do this leads to seam splits in transit.

I "normally" do this, but for my Secret Santa recipient/victim, I purchased two sealed "collectibles", so they remained sealed, but I packed well enough for them to get there intact.

I always add either cardboard pads or covers from trashed LPs, but mainly as protection from the sides and to make the contents fit as snugly as possible inside the mailer. This keeps the LPs from shifting so they don't get worn or dinged. If the recipient just cuts the tape, and not the mailer itself, there won't be any damage to the contents and the mailer can be reused.

I do this as well--so if you are expecting to receive a vintage first-pressing from me, be prepared to see a Kenny Rogers Christmas LP cover when you open the mailer :D

On the opposite side, I once received a sealed Blues record, excellently packed, cardboard fillers on both sides, and the album was cracked from edge to spindle hole. The mailer, which was new, had a crease in it, and a footprint which had caused the damage. You can't protect against everything. All you can do is try, and hope.

My standard record packing/mailing process.

VPI clean each side. If you sell records anywhere you should be adding this process. Other RCM will also give similar results.
Place vinyl in a new paper or Mofi inner sleeve, depending on value of course. Include the original inner printed/lyric sleeve.
Put album cover in outer plastic sleeve. Put vinyl inside on back.
Place in new cardboard album mailer with pad.
Tape all the way around album on mailer seam. Put vinyl on the bottom so if the buyer cuts on the bottom seam side they will cut into the pad at worst.
I use a paper mailing label that gets taped to the front of the box. The buyer can recycle it without having any writing on it.
Take to your local USPS window as not all POs have a sliding bin wide enough to accommodate an album.

I've never had a return or any shipping damages reported to me. I do not sell international. I've been doing this since 2011.

I just signed up on UPS they give you free shipping material and they might have mailers that have better protection than bubble mailers, which I use for comic books but I do sandwich them with thick card board or I cut it out like a book where most of it folds over and I just tape with easy remove Scotch tape so that comic does not wiggle around I even put it in a plastic bag and put packing tape over it all the way around so it does not slide to bend or dent the corners...so far so good...foot print on package is not good no matter how good it is protected...someone is going postal or just had a bad employee review!

Back
Top Bottom