Shure M91ED replacement stylus

i have the N91VL on my M91E and i was really surprised at how good it sounded, really good replacement i dont think a SAS would bring all that much more out of that cart, At least not $200 more.

Just recieved a couple of Tonar 623`s and I am impressed. Picked out my yellow original super-track stylus and this cheap replacement Close to fills it`s shoes right out of the box. (hmm, need to check if the other one preforms the same)

The shurest thing is to buy them from: http://www.adelcom.net/ShureStylus1.htm

Shhhhh.....if you look close at the cantilever on the Tonar elliptical stylus, you'll notice a dot that signifies it's a Jico.

Main difference between it and the OEM is a slightly thicker elliptical profile (.3 mil vs .2 mil OEM). I also noticed a slightly smoother sound - less strident than the OEM.

Actually had pretty good luck overall with a Tonar styli - all seem to either be Nagaoka or Jico.

Shhhhh.....if you look close at the cantilever on the Tonar elliptical stylus, you'll notice a dot that signifies it's a Jico.

I wouldn't consider a black dot to be a defining trademark. As far as I know, JICO are the only aftermarket styli that are built like the originals.

Main difference between it and the OEM is a slightly thicker elliptical profile (.3 mil vs .2 mil OEM). I also noticed a slightly smoother sound - less strident than the OEM.

My experience has been that JICO styli are slightly more forward than the OEM's which are slightly more laid back. Regarding tip profile, I could never hear the difference between a .2 or .3 mil.

I have 7 different styli for the M91. All are capable and reproduce hi quality sound. The more you pay the more detail and clarity you will get. That $15 EVG PM3136de can really surprise if set up properly. Like using it on my older Jazz records. My favorite for all around use is the Jico HE. Would love to try a VL but I really do not need an 8th stylus. Mine are used on a Dual 1219

Last edited:
A one off on EBay. 623ED under $20
That is a great deal. I too think the Tonar is a very good replacement, but it is not as good as a REAL Jico N91 stylus. I also have a TTN " jico" N91HE which I do not find as musical as the Jico from Japan. There is a vendor on ebay that sells Jico with free shipping I ended up spending 56.00 total. So it is more than the Tonar and less than the TTN N91HE. I can not comment on the LP Gear vivid line as I have not heard it.

I have a pretty worn out original, the EVG, and the N91VL. The original plays but has a too many hours on it I believe. The EVG sounded really good I thought but the N91VL beats it by a little in my opinion.

Yeah, this thread made me look up the seller I got the Tonar from and his other offerings. He has quite a few other stylus but no more of the 91's. I was looking for a N75ed too. I have a straight up M75ed and a Premier which this one is also a 75 that came with a couple table i picked up and should replace the stylus on (even though they are original Shures). I might go for that 2 pack of the Jico's for $96 and be done with it.

Sorry for the hijack diversion....

I second the recommendation for the EVG PM3136 DE. cheap and works.

"Cheap and works" is o.k. for the casual listener who just wants to play a "vinyl" once in a while. But if you enjoy listening to records, especially on vintage systems then I would suggest avoiding the no-name cheapies and invest (we're talking a $50 or so investment) in an after-market stylus that is as good as the original. You'll be doing your record collection a favor.

Back
Top Bottom