Sansui Model Eight Deluxe Switches and Deoxit

KingBubba

"Too Much Stuff"
I am having a cutout issue with my Deluxe. It is the tape Mon. 2 button. Of course, I was hoping it would be a simple thing. Not. I have the front cover off, the outer tuner dial cover off, the fuse lamp plate disconnected,but not the dial plate itself, as that seems to require a complete disassembly. As of this point my plan is to slide the Deoxit down the switch metal plate. My first question is, if this will work or not. When it was serviced two years ago, I assume Deoxit was used but not Deoxit Shield, which is my plan, at this point.

Can anyone throw some suggestions my way, that has familiarity with this model or the Eight, which switch setup seems to be the same? I have not taken off the bottom cover, at this point. Will this buy me anything? I have this all on the top of the entertainment center, not the bench, as I assumed this was going to be simple. :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the SM shows no more of the switches than I can see, just the metal switch part sticking through the metal plate. So much for the manual being any help.

Last edited:
You should be able to get to the back of the switch. With the switch in the normal position you should be able to get the deoxit in.

Rob

The only way to get to the back part of the switch, as far as I can tell, is to do a complete disassembly. Did you mean with the bottom plate removed. I cannot see the switch, only the in and out toggle.

Hey Gary, I had some luck in letting de-oxit seep in from the front along the actuator that operates the push switches. You should be able to pull the button plastic covers exposing the actuator. Then tilt the amp back, basically letting it rest on the back panel. You might have to remove a rubber or foam dust cover that is more or less glued around the push switches. At any rate, spray a small stream of de-oxit right around where the actuator comes out - work the actuator repeatedly, Including gently moving it side by side. This should allow the chemical to get inside.

Thank Tom. That is what I have accomplished so far. It is incredible to me that Sansui protected the switches so well. They are the moving parts and would be the most troubled part on the whole unit. One would think they should be the easiest parts to get to. I keep a needle bottle of Deoxit and isopropyl alcohol for just these time when you need more fluidity. I never use the D-5 spray, but instead use the D-100. It is something about the Naptha cutting agent, for the D-5, that bothers me, as it is a known problem with certain types of pads in pots and wipers. I'll try to ooze in the Deoxit Shield later, after the Deoxit has dried.

Any other comments and suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks to all.

Following this thread with interest.

I don't have any suggestions myself Bubba as I'm in the same boat. I'll intermittently lose a channel when using my (regular) Eight and have to push the monitor 1 switch in and out multiple times to get the sound back. Not only are the switches hard to access, but some of the components are really tightly fit in the cabinet. I planned on replacing a burnt out dial light but the housing was so crammed with wires I didn't know how to access it, lacking an engineering degree!

I hope that stereofun's suggestions work! Let us know.

Have you tried the brute way. That is operating the switch 50 times consequtive, relying on the switch being somewhat self-cleaning.

Look through the square hole to the left of the AM gang. You can see the back of the switch in question.

Or, if you have the faceplate off, can you remove the tone controls and remove the screws that hold the board with the switches in place and pull the board out enough to get to the switch.. I think that's how I did it, but it was years ago.

Just pulled the top and bottom of mine to help jog my memory.

Rob

Well I am giving up beyond what I have tried. Kale, your work is exceptional and I am totally incapable of such feats and am willing to accept my limitations. If I have to stroke the keys to keep in running, then I will. To top this off I was placing a screw into the frame of the dial glass and it got away from me. I am going to have to pull the bottom plate and hope that it shakes out. :( Once again thanks to all.

I have finally got the Eight buttoned up and it appears that the drizzle method has done the job, at least as far as I can tell. It is pleasant to have the bedroom system all back together again. In the time that everything took, my 16' extension for my Stax has come in from an eBay seller in Ottowa. Now, at night, when my wife is sleeping, I can listen to quality music and shows on the laptop, as I am the household insomniac. I have been using some $10 Sony headphones, MMX-110. They are comfortable and sound good, but not like the Stax. Now back to Tony Rice.

The drizzle method, with the 8 on it back and letting gravity do the work for you, is still apparently doing its job; as there are no dropouts or scratchiness in the switches. I am declaring this a success. I am glad of this, because I am not sure I would ever want to really try to get inside the 8. Thanks for all the posts.

Back
Top Bottom