Votes: 43 9.2%
  • AS/BS/Tech School/Skilled Trades

Votes: 252 53.8%
  • MS/PhD

Votes: 103 22.0%
  • Other Advanced Degree

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters
I have to salute you sir! The highest "medium" voltage I've worked, is racking in and out big ole 1960s 13-8 breakers. When you hear the lightning as the stabs get closer to the buss, it scares my eyebrows to the back of my head. I've known a few linemen, and I know that it is skilled trade indeed... thanks for keeping my power on!
Yeah I am too scared of electricity to ever be a lineman, but they do get my respect! But then again dead is dead, whether it's by 13.8, 4160, or 480 volts!

BA in Economics, University of Richmond, 1979. but when I was in grade school I'd sometimes help grade papers for the teachers, Isaw some stuff I WASN'T sposed to see. My IQ is reportedly 58, which isn't even a fully blown "Maniac", who is sposed to be 60.

Journeyman Tool & Die Maker. No degrees issued way back then. It took 5 years of on the job training(60 hrs. a week) with 3 nights a week classroom. It also kept me out of the Selective Service as Tool & Die Makers were considered a strategic trade and deferred. This was during the Viet Nam time where everyone was being drafted. I would hand my boss my draft letters and in a week or so I got a new draft card with the designation "1S".

When I worked for a R&D Center, we had a PHD who came to work with his t-shirt on, inside out, backwards...he was a whiz in Physics supposedly.

IIRC 13.8 VDC is the nominal "system" voltage in automobiles. From the alternator.
That's true, and batteries are tuned to that voltage by the sulfuric acid to water ratio, and to deviate higher or lower from that voltage causes shortened life of the battery over time .

I never took advantage of the privilege of serving my country, but I too "sold my soul to the man" to get my education--full academic scholarship for my BS, and my MS and PhD were paid for by my employers with the typical strings attached--you have to pass the classes and stick around long enough for us to abuse you to get our money's worth out of you.--otherwise you have to pay us back. But in the end, I walked away with a PhD and virtually no debt, so I guess it all worked out OK.

Went to a Vo-Tech High School for Drafting, yes with a straight edge and a pencil.
Started out working in Die Design of metal stamping dies
Ended up in the shop and became a Journeyman Toolmaker
15 years later I taught myself Autocad 3D Solid Modeling and became a Machine Designer

Due to repetitive stress injuries, I went to College for the first time at age 42
Graduated with a degree in Network Engineering

Since then I have worked for a global CRO supporting Regulatory Submission Software, servers, databases, networks, many 3rd party pcs of software for all the major Pharma companies around the world.

Better to mend than to break... Never liked school, struggling my way through I managed yet to get to my artistic graduation. Only did not went to do a BA to the astonishment of my high school art teachers. I am a lover. Not an actor. I love "fine arts" but don't have the aim of becoming an "artist". Not so much of an intellectual no matter what other might think of me, my main focus since the age of 14 is records and the music they carry. And it's love as in passion, not a hipster posture or whatever.

Not rich, crate digging and trading to get those vintage 45's records took most of my time, mind and soul. And I could not yet focus and invest in a proper phono set-up. Anyhow I took a swift turn and went to university to become a "social worker" that I work as for some years. Then after having quit two social jobs for "ethical reasons", at 42, I found myself in my old house (1884) rehab into which I must learn and work into as a an improvised construction worker and engineer.

This gave me the thirst to start the DIY (I would have not dare before) tweak into my phono gear to great result and satisfaction. Since the work in the house eats most of my money, I couldn't afford the "plug and play" dream phono gear. Necessity became the mother of my tweaks. As a kid, dissatisfied with the institution of life, school that is, then onto an art student, then as a social worker dealing with human drama/tragedy and with administrative papers and finally as a construction worker and engineer, I am resilient. I think...

Credits here, credits there, but not a degree to be hung.
Oh, if I had it all to do over again, I'd try to come up with a plan of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom