How can I tell if I need a new Cart/styli?

Frankie's Market

AK Member
Subscriber
Hi Folks, It's been a couple of decades since I had a turntable, I have what might be a new in box Dual 704 turntable.The turntable has what looks like all the original packing, and looks to be brand new, but I'm not sure. The cartridge is a VN35HE. I have no idea if it is brand new, somewhat used, or no good. How can I tell the condition of it? Also there appears to be some melted green goo on various parts, remnants are a kind of spongy material, how do I remove? Thanks, Ed

Hi Folks, It's been a couple of decades since I had a turntable, I have what might be a new in box Dual 704 turntable.The turntable has what looks like all the original packing, and looks to be brand new, but I'm not sure. The cartridge is a VN35HE. I have no idea if it is brand new, somewhat used, or no good. How can I tell the condition of it? Also there appears to be some melted green goo on various parts, remnants are a kind of spongy material, how do I remove? Thanks, Ed

The VN35HE is the model number of the stylus. The cartridge is a Shure V15 type lll, one of, if not the best cartridge Shure ever made. It's definitely worth getting a new stylus for. The best after-market styli I've found for Shure cartridges are made by JICO.....

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1046

The V15 it's definitely a keeper.
If it needs a new stylus check out Jico.
Mountains of information on the V15 and also Jico replacement stylus'

Unless a coil is blown, you don't need a new cartridge. The only way to really tell if the stylus is OK is to examine the diamond under a microscope. Otherwise, just play a record that you're not too worried about and see both how it sounds and how the cantilever suspension behaves.

Is the green goo on the stylus? It MAY have been some type of foam packing material, if that's what it was it should clean off easy. But don't beat up the stylus, use something that will melt it off

The VN35HE is junk and needs proper disposal. Please send to me and I'll take care of it. I will risk life and limb to clean the nuclear goop. :D

Back
Top Bottom