Xstream Pono....

They only thing I find interesting about it is their statement that hi res streamers should not be charged a premium. If it was 9.99 and lossless, I would at least give it a look.

In the post, Young didn’t reveal when Xstream would launch, only that he will be announcing it “very soon.” He also didn’t get into specifics about what the service would cost, other than to say that he’s “insisted that there be no premium price for this service.” He went on to citing the difficulties that Pono faced with its music store, and that when faced with a choice, consumers will follow price, not quality.

Wow! ... this statement caught my eye.

th

IMHO ... The Rubicon has been crossed now. when SACD failed to garner main stream appeal ... hard media was over. When Pono site failed .... selling individual albums is over (just a matter of time) Subscription Streaming it is.

By "over" ... I'm talking about the main stream public ... not the niche market.

Last edited:
R.I.P. Pono, Neil Young Kills Off His Digital Player

Neil made it sound like the record companies were wanting to re-live the glory days of the CD Theory (sit on your rotund behind & make $$$ while everybody re-buys their record collection). :no: ... that was not going to happen.

IMHO ... hind site being 20/20 ... metaphorically ... the Pono store launch had about as much chance of success as the First World War Battle of Gallipoli machine gun nest charge ... movie clip below.

Last edited:
... the Pono store launch had about as much chance of success as the First World War Battle of Gallipoli charge ... movie clip below.
Interesting analogy... saw that movie with a single, female college professor 7 years my senior back in '81. That was also a disaster...

Interesting analogy... saw that movie with a single, female college professor 7 years my senior back in '81. That was also a disaster...

Oh we'll ... the Gallipoli charge, Pono store & your situation ... probably seemed like a hell of an idea at the time.

Yeah, but that did not cost you what a pono player cost if you made a kickstarter contribution. NY not a tech genius. It is a risky business, look at Blackberry, Nokia, etc, but those at least had their day Pono pretty much failed to launch. I was tempted but am so glad I didn't buy one (I read that long thread here about them).

Back
Top Bottom