What was the last movie you watched?

Excuse My Dust (1951) A bit of 50's fluff starring Red Skelton as a turn of the century inventor trying to perfect his "Gasmobile" (a.k.a. a Horseless Carriage).

There are a couple of interesting bits in it, one is the race with all the very vintage vehicles, some are real, others may be products of the Studio Prop people but it's fun regardless.

The other is this fantasy sex...err...I mean dance sequence.

Saw The Zookeeper's Wife yesterday. Currently in some theaters, but not wide release.

Based on a true story. The keeper of the Warsaw Zoo and his wife conceal and save over 300 Jews after Poland falls to the Nazis. Not a terribly original plot, but a brutal, moving film. The Warsaw ghetto scenes are gut wrenching, but there is a happy and hopeful ending.

Jessica Chastain is excellent, and Johan Heldenbergh, a Belgian actor I had never heard of, is even better as the zookeeper.

And you get to see two bison getting it on.

Remember - Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau. Different take on the search for WW2 Nazis. Worth the time.

Warcraft (2016)

Warcraft_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Flight. Denzel plays an addicted, alcoholic pilot who nevertheless manages to safely land a plane that's falling apart due to a stripped jack screw. Ten pilots crashed the plane in simulations during the NTSB investigation, so Denzel's character is seen as a hero.

Difficult to watch at points, and, for a non-addictive type, to understand the addict. Very much story and character driven, though; some FX, but they thankfully don't dominate. He makes a difficult, but correct decision in the end...

220px-Flight_film_poster.jpg

As a pilot, I found this movie to be interesting, and difficult to watch, both at the same time. I thought Washington did a great job with the role. But inverting a commercial jet airliner to save it from catastrophic nose-down diving from a stuck hydraulic jack elevator malfunction is very far-fetched..... and I'm being very conservative saying very far-fetched. I was also concerned about the general public thinking that the incident leading up to the crash scene was realistic, because it wasn't at all.

But Hollywood has literary license, so they depict what they wish to depict, factual or not.

I watched a fun 1951 "Film Noir" on Youtube;

Two Dollar Bettor.
Dark budget drama about a banker that goes to the track with freinds, places a simple $2.00 bet and quickly spirals into a gambling addict, leading him on a path to ruin.
p44601_p_v8_aa.jpg

Available for free on Youtube;

Watch the Suicide Squad yesterday. It really wasn't as bad as the critics and a lot of people led me to believe. The beginning was too long explaining who everyone was. Plus what I thought was some bad acting from Will Smith.

Moonlight - not at all as bad as some commented.
Sad and quite moving in places - the ending was a bit open, for a change ...
Not something I'd watch again, (many films aren't) but glad I saw it.

Back
Top Bottom